Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game Diversity

From what I have seen stat decay will keep players from being truly good at doing everything. You either need to keep your int/dex/whatever high for your crafting or keep Str/Fort/Agility high for combat. Sure you can do it all, but you are going to be far less effective in the one that you don't have your stats aligned for. Throw on top of that skill decay which i have yet to see, but I am sure is there, and you will see people specialize. However, I like it that people can still do a everything if they are ok with being bad at it *ie solo/selfsuficiant players* It is the freedom needed in this game.

I agree that we should see some numbers. Even if quality is shown as one of the eight masters degrees, durability shoud be a number based on components quality, skill and luck.

This would make every item unique.

And this feature "Characters achieving the Supreme Master level of craftsmanship work with the Xsyon team to introduce a crafted item of their own design." should be enough to try to master your craft.

I don't know. I kind of like what I see potentially developing. You get an item - a blade let's say. It says it's of 'good' quality and still has some durability left. It also says it's 'Crafted by so-and-so'. So you take it into a fight and your rip your opponent to pieces. "Hmm... this is a pretty good knife!"

Now... did you just happen to get lucky in that fight? If that knife is still causing mayhem several fights later, is it still just a coincidence? Or is there something about 'so-and-so's' skills?

Would you rather have the challenge of uncertainty and opinion? Or have the stats handed to you on a plate?

Call me contrary, but I kind of like the notion of uncertainty and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    I don't know. I kind of like what I see potentially developing. You get an item - a blade let's say. It says it's of 'good' quality and still has some durability left. It also says it's 'Crafted by so-and-so'. So you take it into a fight and your rip your opponent to pieces. "Hmm... this is a pretty good knife!"

Now... did you just happen to get lucky in that fight? If that knife is still causing mayhem several fights later, is it still just a coincidence? Or is there something about 'so-and-so's' skills?

Would you rather have the challenge of uncertainty and opinion? Or have the stats handed to you on a plate?

Call me contrary, but I kind of like the notion of uncertainty and opinion.
    It would only make sense if there were different numbers hidden behind "good" and every item would be a little different, otherwise you would know how good "good" was before you buy it.
    But that would mean that crafter has to test every item he/she crafts to set fair price.

Well I think what will happen is people will buy things from different crafters. They will see which crafters goods are truly good and the names of the true masters of a craft will become well known and you wont need numbers to know relative quality. You will see Cudzluz Created this Item and you will know, hey i bought his stuff in the past, and so have my tribe mates and it was really good, lasted long, and seemed better than most crafters at least for this item.

Run on Sentences and unorganized thoughts for the win.

yoori,

The relative quality - 'junk', 'poor', 'good', etc - already have numbers (perhaps even a range of numbers) hidden behind them. They have to for those qualities to mean something to the game engine. It's just that from our point of view they're hidden. As for the 'numbers' of an individual's crafted items and how to set the price for the things you make - well, uncertainty and opinion can be a two-edged sword. One that cuts both the prospective purchaser and the prospective vendor. (Including the person who crafted the item in the first place.) Personally, I'd still rather try to figure it out for myself rather than have the game just hand it all to me on a plate.

The reason there are usually quantified stats at all in a game is because you can't closely examine and test objects as you could in real life. Making everything opaque just so you could have an air of mystery is a little contrived. It's not a "challenge" if you only have a vague idea of build quality and it's not handing you something on a plate if there are concrete numbers.

That said, I think keeping it the way it is is fine -- for the general public. But maybe if you have high levels in the skill used to craft the item or a high level in the skill to use it, you could get a bit more information. You don't even need to quantify it, really. But maybe if you have a high level in axe, examining an axe in your inventory will tell you "(Very High/High/Normal/Low/Very Low) + (Damage/Reach/Speed) compared to other axes"

bill, low-skilled warrior in triba a: "hey bro, i just bought this sword from tribe b. it says superior quality"

*trade*

joe, mid-level weaponcrafter in tribe a: "bad news... it's superior speed, but low damage and mediocre reach"

*war*

Quote Originally Posted by Bridger View Post
    yoori,

The relative quality - 'junk', 'poor', 'good', etc - already have numbers (perhaps even a range of numbers) hidden behind them. They have to for those qualities to mean something to the game engine. It's just that from our point of view they're hidden. As for the 'numbers' of an individual's crafted items and how to set the price for the things you make - well, uncertainty and opinion can be a two-edged sword. One that cuts both the prospective purchaser and the prospective vendor. (Including the person who crafted the item in the first place.) Personally, I'd still rather try to figure it out for myself rather than have the game just hand it all to me on a plate.
    I know there are numbers I finished two faculties one in IT and one in 3d graphics and animation.

What I'm trying to say is that, there has to be range of numbers behind them and different numbers in range have to have "visible" efect. Otherwise you'd just know how good it is before you buy it.

What I proposed earlier with visible durability number is idea from Entropia Universe(Planet Calypso now). The "quality" effect of items is the same for every item, they differ in durabilty which is based on skill of crafter, quality of components and luck. This game has very complex real-cash economy and this system works. People are investing 100's of 1000's of dollars in virtual buisnesses.

There is only so much diversity you can introduce on skill tree there will always be limit...

I would support more information being delivered about stats/skills/items, but kind of like the vagueness of the terms better than (Axe of +5 damage)