Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spies and alignment status

I brought this up in another thread and think it should have it's own place.

If there is a very strict alignment system where killing good players is very difficult or impossible to redeem, evil players (or even other neutral/good players from other towns) will be able to use "good" or "neutral" spies or sabateurs with a significant amount of security.

There must be a way to kill neutral/good players without an irrevocable slide into being evil. If there is not a game mechanic to prevent this, then good and neutral towns will lose their players over time because the players were defending their town. Even craftfolk might find themselves in a bad situation. If your master blacksmith finds himself being attacked by Joe Noob evil alt, with no choice but to die and lose a great deal of valuable items, or kill a "good" player... Once might be not that big a deal, but what if it happens half a dozen times over a period of several weeks?

I promise you with 100% certainty that if there is no way to redeem/pardon your character or prevent an alignment hit in the first place, neutral and good towns will be crippled frequently by their inability to kill spies without taking alignment hits.

Re:Spies and alignment status

You donít get alignment hits if they attack you first, you declare war on them, you agree to a duel, and some other ones I missed.

Palo god wrote:
    You donít get alignment hits if they attack you first, you declare war on them, you agree to a duel, and some other ones I missed.
    What happens if you see a new recruit opening a gate when you are defending your town from attack?

Farmerbob wrote:
    Palo god wrote:
    What happens if you see a new recruit opening a gate when you are defending your town from attack?
    If someone attacks your town it counts as them attacking you so you won't get an alignment hit if you take them down.

Palo god wrote:
    Farmerbob wrote:
    Palo god wrote:
    If someone attacks your town it counts as them attacking you so you won't get an alignment hit if you take them down.
    No, I mean, if one of YOUR town's new recruits opens a gate for your enemy who is attacking your town. This is just a very simple case.

If there is ANY way for alt/spies to use a cludgy and unforgiving faction system against other players in a PVP game, you can be absolutely certain that it will be found and used. Address the problem at the root. Trying to chase after every possible way people might abuse the system will be a nightmare.

I think that nothing should be done to prevent spies. I love the idea of someone being sent undercover disguised as a fresh recruit, only to betray the tribe and open the gates for attackers, and then get a massive bounty on his head and use this to advertise his skills to other tribes...

spies and sh*t! cool!

Xsyon Citizen

I have a feeling this one will be difficult to tackle. The game itself obviously can't flag the person because opening a gate when you're a member of a tribe is always a legit action according to something hard coded.

If you see them opening the gate, I guess the only thing you could do is kick them from the tribe and pray you can close the gate fast enough. Hopefully the little bugger will get sniped in the crossfire by the attackers, but I have a feeling that is the best you're going to be able to do in that situation.

You can't flag the person without them taking an aggressive action otherwise you could exploit the system by flagging anyone you felt like to avoid going evil.

This is a tough one. Just going to have to put on your tinfoil hats and watch carefully who you let into your town/tribe.

Xsyon Citizen

lazyfroguk wrote:
    I think that nothing should be done to prevent spies. I love the idea of someone being sent undercover disguised as a fresh recruit, only to betray the tribe and open the gates for attackers, and then get a massive bounty on his head and use this to advertise his skills to other tribes...

spies and sh*t! cool!
    Until they clear out your bank and hand it over to your enemy. Unless you're of course the one receiving the bank, then its the funniest thing to have happened in game.

The only thing that should be done to counter spys and what not is a good in-game tribe management system, Semi-complex banking access and membership management.

Restricting access to the bank and opening gates to certain ranks within the tribe.

Only way to go.