Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A few ideas to make tribes more asymmetrical

I was thinking about the good, neutral and evil alignment system here and from the limited info we have, they all seem to have very little difference to them. Its a shame developers don't try to make asymmetrical races/factions/tribes more. I actually find it astonishing that Starcraft is like the last game I played with asymmetrical races. Its almost like developers don't want their games to succeed. Well enough of that little rant, i'll post a couple ideas to make the tribes more different from each other.Due to my hate and inability of writing, i'll just do point form:

- Only good and neutral tribes can do the larger crafting projects, evil tribes can do smaller crafting stuff but evil tribes should not be able to craft buildings or major projects. Only Evil tribes should be the ones that have a mechanism to take away or invade and live out of other peoples buildings, forcing the crafters to start a new townsite.This would represent the real life evil people who are usually too dumb and/or lazy to do anything themselves and in like real life this would force evil players to always try to live off good peoples hard work.

- Neutral tribes should have major consequences to attacking anyone, basically to the point where they can't really attack or war with anyone. Make a mechanism so they can defend themselves without consequences but that's it. I hate people in MMO's who call themselves neutral but still want to fight or get involved in political stuff.The current system where neutrals can attack evil tribes is kinda dumb because it just seems like a they are good tribes, in terms of game mechanics, but not in name. Make it so neutrals are nerfed to fight to the point where they shouldn't fight.

- Players in Evil Tribes should see everyone's names in Red, even their own tribe members. Please make the name and color system in DF where allies and friends are in blue or green, for good and neutral toons only. Evil players should see nothing but red names. Oh and please have friendly fire. This would make a evil warband truly chaotic to themselves and their enemy's.

Re: A few ideas to make tribes more asymmetrical

Please no on all these options.
    Geez. No please please please.

I dont even want to write in detail why they are so bad IMO. I think its pretty clear why.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Re:A few ideas to make tribes more asymmetrical

Brutix wrote:
    This would represent the real life evil people who are usually too dumb and/or lazy to do anything themselves and in like real life this would force evil players to always try to live off good peoples hard work.
    I heard they're ugly, too.
    I suggest they should only be able to create ugly characters.

you have quite a few things that i greatly disagree with here first: evil ppl are not dumb... quite the opposite really i mean what ever happened to the evil genius. in truth the evil most despicable ppl tend to be one of the smartest. take Hitler, for example, we all hate him... he was a racist ass...however all of his plans were clearly thought out... his only mistake was getting the whole world agents him which is what brought about his downfall. then there is terrorist which can some how make car bombs with limited resources with there... what was it now "...dumb and/or lazy..." habits. Then there is the mafia, huge illegal corporations where the top of the "family" rarely are brought to justice...it takes a bit more then street smarts to out run the police you know. As it stands in the real world evil people tend to be the smartest.

next what makes you think that the good people are the ones doing all the craftsmanship. I for one highly doubt that. the neutral guys are the ones doing craftsmanship wile the good guys are the police, the fire men, the doctors, the environmentalist (although they don't know what they are saying half the time), and other ppl that make life safer and better for everyone. wile the neutral ones are the guys making the big buildings, and crafting the tools and weapons that everyone else uses.

And now my third argument... neutral ppl don't fight? what about the ppl making there money off bounty hunting? they surely aren't the good guys as there job is "legal kidnapping"... i mean they go about grabbing fugitives and can keep them for 48 hours legally in California before bringing then to the police (i know as I've seen the bounty hunting laws in CA) and if they wanted to be good guys then they should have become a detective or a police men. but they didn't cause they don't want to have to abide by every law of the state...for example it is illegal for a police man to arrest someone outside of America... however nothing is stopping a bounty hunter from dragging a fugitive back to the US from Mexico.

Now the fourth point politicians aren't exactly good guys... they are more neutrally aligned then anyone else....hell i would go as for as to say some of them would be evil aligned... they use whatever tricks in the book they have to get there way. that's just the way it is... there "heighten intellect" allows them to use the law to there advantage which ties into my point about evil ppl not being dumb which even uses a politician (Hitler) as one of its examples so politicians are, at best, neutral, at worst evil.

and now my final point... everyone should have friendly fire... "oh i swing my sword but you are right in front of me don't worry i have friendly fire off yay my sword goes right through you and you don't die or get injured yeah happy day!".... it just doesn't work that way it will never work that way.... i think it speaks for it self no more need to say anything.

I'll also throw in my support for staying away from these kinds of arbitrary restrictions. Consequences should, I believe, come from personal decisions and follow through instead of simply by deciding on an alignment.

In reality .. and in mmos with a player defined economy, it is usually the evil guys that make it to top. And as long as they swathe their evil in soft cuddly bunny fur, people will over look their methods and simply enjoy the services. No one asks about the poor bunny.
    Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. -Voltaire

Bedouin wrote:
    No one asks about the poor bunny.
    but... but what about the poor bunny

Bedouin wrote:

in mmos with a player defined economy, it is usually the evil guys that make it to top.
    I don't agree, in a sandbox game with different skills you can earn much more money with crafting and skilling than from PvP.

necoo wrote:
    Bedouin wrote:
    Good of you to ask, it is doing well.

[img size=400]http://www.retroland.com/retrotalk/userfiles/D1209~Holy-Grail-Killer-Rabbit-Posters.jpg[/img]

So you see, even bunnies are pure evil swathed in cuddly fur.

Bedouin wrote:
    necoo wrote:
    Bedouin wrote:
    Good of you to ask, it is doing well.

[img size=400]http://www.retroland.com/retrotalk/userfiles/D1209~Holy-Grail-Killer-Rabbit-Posters.jpg[/img]

So you see, even bunnies are pure evil swathed in cuddly fur.
    that picture is the most epic thing i have ever seen

Jadzia wrote:
    Bedouin wrote:

in mmos with a player defined economy, it is usually the evil guys that make it to top.
    I don't agree, in a sandbox game with different skills you can earn much more money with crafting and skilling than from PvP.
    You're probably right, I haven't had that much experience with sandbox games. Darkfall I didn't get too deep into, and that is probably the only "sandbox" I've played.

But what I meant is that from my experience the richest guilds are usually trader guilds that try to manipulated the economy, through price fixing and hording resources, exploiting nodes and really understanding drop mechanics, like global and local resource/loot locales. Guilds like these are pretty ruthless and have their own underground and alliances. They also provide services like merc and protection for profit.

The most powerful guilds and some have alliances with these merchant guys, though they are more interested in being overt with their capabilities. These are the pvp guys that will keep amassing and displaying their strength. These kinds of guilds are meccas to griefers, gankers and plain ole exploiters.

As far as me calling them evil, well thats just a catch phrase generalization. It's all really a grey area since the guys on the top are good to their friends and ruthless to their foes and apathetic to those they are taking advantage of. But in the universal sense of good vs evil, as far as ideology goes .. I wouldn't call them good.

Even in RL philanthropic and charitable organizations ... well they all have their agendas.

And maybe my view of the world is just jaded and i'm full of shit.
    B)