Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Case for War

This is a post to lobby for players to play on War.
    If you're already of this mindset, please help me out with anything i missed.
    If you're on the fence about which server to play on, please read on to help make an informed decision.
    If your feet are firmly planted on Peace soil, please take a gander so you can understand what you're missing.

Will you fight for justice to stop the chaos or will you join in the ranks of evil to bring upon the ultimate destruction of the earth?
    First paragraph of the game description. Good versus evil. Fight for the right to control a post apocolyptic future of the planet. The very premise of this game is conflict. Embrace it. Conflict gives the PLAYER the ability to ENFORCE peace, or to INCITE chaos. There is is no conflict when there are rules to control it. The game's concept was to be a wide open, choose your destiny, choose the fate of the world game. Sometimes others wont agree with your vision. The question is, do you want to be able to do something about it without their express permission and approval?

The new world hangs in a moment of uncertainty. Though the rift in reality has called forth many benevolent gods and creatures, this truly is the time of the Apocalypse. The seven seals are about to be broken. The Four Horsemen loom over the land awaiting their chance to spread destruction and chaos. Devils and angels vie for control of their earthly battlefield.
    Pick a side. Fight for your beliefs. Bring allies to your aid. Lay waste to those who would oppose you. See your world vision brought to life. Without the freedom to act of your own accord, at your own whim and according to your own vision, you will not be able to play out this battle.

Your path is one of choice. Will your actions help heal the planet or will you play a part in its ultimate doom? What will be the destiny of the Xsyon, the promised land?
    Or will yo sit back behind your invulnerable walls, in your invulnerable tribe lamenting the fact that your neighbors are taking more than their agreed upon share of resources in the area...You'd like to be able to do something about it, they are jerks most of the time, but alas, they are not agreeable to a battle so..well the campfire sure is perty.

What is Prelude?

Prelude is the first chapter of Xsyon. It is a time of discovery, building, and exploration and will continue through summer as the game evolves to include more content and features.
    The MOST glaring lack of content in the game is the lack of pvp mechanics. Will you be on the server that allows for it to be discovered, and explored to it's maximum potential? Or will you habitate a land where it is deemed an afterthought, an unnecessary marketing ploy to attract the more base game players? Player vs player, and guild vs. guild combat is the pinnacle of internet gameplay. Your opponents are real. Their tactics evolve to match and counter your own. They will seek to expose your every weakness so you must use every tool the game provides to ensure you do not yield or faulter. You must be constantly vigilant for you do not know when a hated enemy will choose to strike or a trusted friend deems you expendable and turns on you when yu are most vulnerable. Discover, Explore, Build. You will need every advantage you can find, because you do not know what your rival may bring to the party.
    Or, you can just choose to play where you don't have to forced into any action that you'd choose not to engage in.

What type of combat system does Xsyon have?

Combat is twitch based with manual defense with left and right attacks and defense moves (dodging and parrying / blocking). Attack is both targeted and area based to specifically attack the highlighted target and part but also hit any secondary targets within weapon range.
    Combat mechanics are currently horrible. Broken even. Not nearly to the level that a pvp community would expect in a game focused on pvp. I don't think it's meant to be this way. Be where you can make a real impact improving these mechanics so that this game becomes something we can recommend to our friends.
    Current situation: Suck.
    Future: Lets help them make it right.
    Or you can choose to play on the server where pvp its viewed as an irritant.

Will there be PvP?

Yes, the game is open PVP with consequences and a sparring / training combat mode. In the early Prelude towns will be safe zones
    Open PvP. PvP with consequence. There is no consequence if you can choose to avoid it. Play the game, not a sim.

Summary:
    If there is going to be a ghost town, let it be the server where they really only care about playing with themselves and peacfully coexisting with their friends.

Let them experience the thrill of consensual pvp. Let them experience the agony of not really losing something because, well that wasn't in the war agreement. Let them fight heated political battles about why their tribe wont accept a war from another tribe.
    If this if what you're after, please play THERE.

If you want to play where every moment is a potentially life or death. Where every seemingly meaningless death could be the straw that pushes nations and alliances into full fledged war. Where your efforts in crafting and city building have real meaning because they will be used and tested under the harshest of conditions. Where political slights and desires outside of the game have real impact on the course of events inside of it. Where you can truly fight for chaos or order. This is server where crafters, logisticians, strategists and tacticians will be fully engaged and able to prove their value to the highest degree. This is the server where LEADERS will emerge to bring war, or peace to the world.

If you truly want to play the game.

Play War.
    /cue soundtrack

I'll summarize for you...

If you want to play the coolest game on the face of the planet & win at life, choose WAR.

If you want to play Second Life (post-apocalypse edition), choose PEACE.

I'm not particularly in favor of either rule-set. I'd much rather Eve's rule-set. Except instead of CONCORD to protect people, we should have "angels" or spirits or something.

Yes, I'm playing on the normal ruleset: War.

Lame name for a server, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I'm not particularly in favor of either rule-set. I'd much rather Eve's rule-set. Except instead of CONCORD to protect people, we should have "angels" or spirits or something.
    I'm with you, but I've come to the cold realization that what's done is probably done. At this point, I support effort's like Dubanka's to help people choose the WAR server. If we sway enough people, it could turn out to be pretty cool & as good a compromise as we can hope for at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by baka77 View Post
    I'm with you, but I've come to the cold realization that what's done is probably done. At this point, I support effort's like Dubanka's to help people choose the WAR server. If we sway enough people, it could turn out to be pretty cool & as good a compromise as we can hope for at this stage.
    If they start to add all sorts of new building types, resources, weapon types, monsters to kill, skill branches, abilities, and "dungeons" soon then yeah. Shikata ga nai, neh?

I fear the intricate subtleties of Xsyon's socioeconomic system will be lost under the weight of pro-war rhetoric.

I think once the inital panic of 2 servers dies down, many people will see the value and fun in war. We are going there, Im sure many more will.

Im not worried about.. long term exciting gameplay is at war.

Quote Originally Posted by pendergraft View Post
    I fear the intricate subtleties of Xsyon's socioeconomic system will be lost under the weight of pro-war rhetoric.
    I fear the intricate subtleties of Xsyon's socioeconomic system will be lost under the weight of people having too much crafted stuff that they don't need.

There's no such thing as too many pairs of grass pants.