Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

magic suggestion thread

It has been made quite clear that there is no magic in the prelude all though magic will be implemented at some time. it has also come to my attention that little information has been released as to how the games magic system will act and so this has lead me to believe that they have no concrete magic system planed out and they are open to suggestions... and so that is where this tread comes into play... im making this thread in order to suggest a magic system for the game as well as letting others suggest there own ideas as to develop a working magic system that the developers of Xsyon can use for the game if they so chose.

now then i think i will start off this thread with my own suggestion

The most common magic system in mmo games... hell almost all games... is to use manna that is stored in or around the player to cast magic. however since this game will not start off with magic i believe using this system would cause a major flaw with the game mechanics and the game world around the player. the reason for me saying this is that if the manna was inside or around the character to begin with why couldn't the character use the manna to begin with. and i don't buy that he has to learn to use the manna first before he/she can use it... as that is a bunch of bull. those who are consistently in life threatening situations such as fights would naturally discover how to use whatever is in or around them to there advantage so if manna was there they would be using it with or without proper training. and since this is not implemented in the beginning of the game it would mean one of 2 things. 1 there is no manna in or around then so they cant use it, or 2 the manna in or around them cannot be accessed without causing grave injury to themselves possibly causing the user to die. my suggestion ties into the 2nd possibility.

Now lets assume that there is manna inside of the character however it cannot be accessed with out killing you. to get more specific the manna is what gives a foundation to your soul so if you where to use it up your soul would collapse and this would cause the death of your soul however not the body which would enplane the undead a being with a dead soul yet still alive. so the undead no longer have any manna. so how would you use manna without turning undead and no longer have any manna. one thought is to replenish the manna as you use it, however if the manna is in the core of your soul this would be imposable without causing damage to your soul. in order to use this method you would have to "mutate" you soul to bring the manna closer to the outside of your soul in which case the manna start to effect the body and then the being would become a mutant and so mutants can use there own manna and replenish it when it becomes week using whatever source of manna that is around.

Now this would mean that you would have to become a mutant to use magic however this does cause a problem in and of itself where would you gather manna to replenish your manna supply... would it really just be in the are or would you have to get it from somewhere. now remember where manna originates from the soul of beings so to replenish your manna you would have to harvest it from the soul of creature or humans... to do that you would have to "release" the soul from the body... please note that even the undead have souls although they're souls are dead so how would you release there souls... well that should be quite obvious by now you simply kill them and then steal the manna from there souls as it exits the body. so now at this point you would have to become a mutant to use manna and to replenish it you would have to start killing random creatures or players. i am aware that his would be quite an annoying system if that was all that was too it and so i shall continue to develop the system further.

this system it is nice and all that you can now use magic however it doesn't change the fact that you would have to become a mutant to use it... and to become a mutant you would have to go into the toxic mist that surrounds the playing field which by the way would kill you before you mutate because it seems that animals have a weaker soul then humans do and so it is easier to manipulate the soul of an animal... and so the creature doesn't have to stay in that toxic gas that long before they mutate. in this case this magic system works for animals just not players... so how would players use magic?

lets look back how to mutants recharge there manna... by taking manna from normal creatures correct. so what stops normal players from harvesting manna from the dead as well? lets say that you can use a stone or capsule or a crystal to harvest the manna from the dead so now you have manna that you can access with out killing yourself. so how would one access it... to do so it would be feasible to run the manna through your body much like an electrical current runs through a wire and using the manna already in your body channel the manna in certain ways depending on the effect desired. using this method you can create fireballs, manipulate stone and rock, make gusts of wind, manipulate the water in the sea and air, pour the manna through weapons to give them and elemental edge, and all things in between. and this concludes this well thought out manna system.

Re:magic suggestion thread

I still have not read this thread, but does anyone else find it incredibly hilarious that this is the only thread in the Xsyon forums that has gone an entire week without a single reply? :laugh:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

edaw22 wrote:
    I still have not read this thread, but does anyone else find it incredibly hilarious that this is the only thread in the Xsyon forums that has gone an entire week without a single reply? :laugh:
    I was much too terrified by the huge wall of text. It didn't look like a troll thread at all so I was like "Wtf!".
    Brum, brum.

edaw22 wrote:
    I don't care to read it either (mainly because I personally think that they should leave magic out of this game) but I do have an idea. How about we veer WAY off topic and make this the most active thread spending pages and pages debating over something completely pointless. :silly:

Looking for more free-spirited adventurers! Contact any NoX member or post to our recruitment thread.
    -Explore our backyard solo or with friends!

Wanted to make a did not read reply before but it looked like he had put some thought into the thread so I decided to back away and hide.
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

yeah perhaps i should have shortened my suggestion however you should read it anyway since it would work well with this game

necoo wrote:
    yeah perhaps i should have shortened my suggestion however you should read it anyway since it would work well with this game
    Is this some kind of reverse phsycology trolling?
    Get away from me.
    Brum, brum.

Some good thoughts Necoo. Your ideas sound very similar to what is found in the Eregon books (the Inheritance Series by Paolini) in which magic use depends upon extracting a "life force" from living creatures. I personally like that approach to magic.

Adding magic after a scientific age as will be done in Xsyon provides for a lot of possibilities in terms of game mechanics and lore. So instead of a "life force" it needs to be linked to something more scientific yet mysterious like conscious sensations. So the more intelligent the animal the more conscious sensation mana it will have. Use too much of your own and you become a zombie, one of the undead.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

Cradlejoe wrote:
    necoo wrote:
    Is this some kind of reverse phsycology trolling?
    Get away from me.
    im more interested in eating this cotton candy then using reverse phsycology

Oakstead wrote:
    Some good thoughts Necoo. Your ideas sound very similar to what is found in the Eregon books (the Inheritance Series by Paolini) in which magic use depends upon extracting a "life force" from living creatures. I personally like that approach to magic.

Adding magic after a scientific age as will be done in Xsyon provides for a lot of possibilities in terms of game mechanics and lore. So instead of a "life force" it needs to be linked to something more scientific yet mysterious like conscious sensations. So the more intelligent the animal the more conscious sensation mana it will have. Use too much of your own and you become a zombie, one of the undead.
    yeah that sums it up though i give more detail in my description