Xsyon Citizen

animal breeding habbits

Just curious since we've been depleting the animal basis, how long and how often do animals mate to reproduce to maturity so that they are viable targets? would be nice to have a timeframe setup so some people can calculate how many animals a day + how many are produced + how many we need to survive with so we dont keep squashing the local population of animals!

har har har

I would like to know more about this system too. Seems odd to me that we were pushing animal spawns up into the mist. Animals can't spawn on tribe/homestead land? Why not? We live in the wilderness and animals would likely wander into camps all the time. Especially hungry bears. Can someone explain this better?

So far as I know, they cannot actually "spawn" in a certain radius of a tribe / homestead. I assume that to be correct, because around the lake itself, there are very, very few animals -- as you go farther away from the lake, the more animals there are. You have to actively hunt down animals in the center areas of the lake and the surrounding zones to find them. Occasionally one finds you.

At the border of the mists, you tend to have animals attack you on a regular basis. I'm assuming that's because they can reproduce without interruption out in the green, then wander inwards to look for food. In theory. I can't provide specifics as to how often they spawn, however. Some days I see hordes ( 7 - 10 bears per hour ) and some days I only see one, if that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saolite View Post
    and some days I only see one, if that.
    that's almost real life if you've ever been up to Tahoe.

Xsyon Citizen
    ok so under this understanding, creatures that go into the mist can also come back from the mist? see what im worried about is us killing off the entire population of critters and having none in the future....

I think they said that animals go through a normal mating time, but that most of the animals were being killed too quickly.

The solution was to allow the animals to "hide", or "hibernate", safely, and they could reproduce then.

I think the question everyone is really asking here is this...

Are there animations for watching bears copulate? "Is that a furry tractor fight???"