Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have to apologize, I wasn't aware of the changes made to the game right before the wipe. I was recently informed that junk piles that fall within a tribe's radius are not just safezones that give you a text warning about encroaching, but entirely immune to scavenging for everyone except members of that tribe. This is indeed bullshit, if it carries over to launch.

Consider my opinion changed in favor of the OP.

Think about this: The map is just a portion of what it will be... who knows what is to be discovered. Second: If you were in a post-apocalyptic world wouldn't you seek out the best place to set up camp? e.g. on a junk pile in this case

Dev's can always make tweaks, changes, etc.

Getting all worried about something in a game that will evolve as much as this one seems like a waist of effort.

Good articulate posts about possible game improvements are awesome! It just seems like it turns into a game breaker for people all the time over one thing or another.

I for one will evolve with the game and however the devs have it set up...

What's wrong with just figuring everything out in real time in the game?

Play the game. Post articulate suggestions. Leave it to the Developers.

Have a great day in Xsyon.

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant View Post
    I have to apologize, I wasn't aware of the changes made to the game right before the wipe. I was recently informed that junk piles that fall within a tribe's radius are not just safezones that give you a text warning about encroaching, but entirely immune to scavenging for everyone except members of that tribe. This is indeed bullshit, if it carries over to launch.

Consider my opinion changed in favor of the OP.
    Since this announcement my tribe has considered disbanding our extra people to cover more junk with homesteads. It's a terribly broken and stupid system, but we really don't want to run out of junk

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    Since this announcement my tribe has considered disbanding our extra people to cover more junk with homesteads. It's a terribly broken and stupid system, but we really don't want to run out of junk
    Interesting to hear that.

Makes me wonder if entire tribes are going "homesteader" for the short term, and banding up later once the junk has been depleted. With the addition of more junk piles, this kind of action seems more and more likely.

It would be interesting to know what the ratio of homesteaders to tribes is right now, in terms of people. As well as understanding if a few policy changes (locking down junk piles under totems, and adding new junk piles) has cascaded into other playability issues like lag (because of a higher number of totems than ever).

Likely, we will never know. But amazes me how "small adjustments" can have huge impact in how people/groups play. Love the action/consequence mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dontaze_Mebro View Post
    I have yet to see any official anouncement, people cant check it as we cant do anyting right now but asfar im aware people are reaction to rumors "somebody told me bla bla" Kinda silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavoda View Post
    I have yet to see any official anouncement, people cant check it as we cant do anyting right now but asfar im aware people are reaction to rumors "somebody told me bla bla" Kinda silly.
    Agreed, as far as panic goes. But not in relation to discussion of the potential pitfalls. I don't think there is a better way for the Devs to be made aware of the problems that could come about from certain decisions. If nothing else, it would be nice for threads like this to act as warnings (or foundations for further thought) regarding adjustments that could be made in game.

I see binding junk within totem limits to that tribe only as potentially very damaging to the mechanics of the game.

It's important to know how people might react. It's far less important for the Dev's to react on those player reactions.

Visitor
    I agree with original poster, that would be a great idea

I agree there is a problem with homesteads on junkpiles but I would rather avoid hard restrictions. I would take the OP's idea over what is currently in place but here is an idea I'll throw out there.
    Let it work as it is now; the homestead/tribe squats the junk just for them but since they are living on the most hazardous area post Apocalypse (rotting flesh, pcb's, heavy metals, noxious chemicals etc.), they suffer some serious illnesses that would be indicated by serious reduction in all stats. That way they can have the freedom of living on trash but with real life based consequences. It just seems silly that peeps living on the most inhospitable spots have the greatest advantage.
    Still doesn't solve the problem of using and alt to squat the junk but I still think there is some merit.
    Maybe restrict the size of land owned on junk?
    The destructible fences sounded pretty interesting as well.

Food for thought, would like to hear more ideas

Food for thought,

Finite resources and tribe controlling aside, I feel like Junk Piles shouldn't be buildable. At all. Totems, tepees, or walls.
    Purely from a logic standpoint, if these are the types of things we can rummage around for a few seconds on and turn up sheet metal, or loose leather or cloth... it's PROBABLY not the most sound foundation to construct your house on.
    For gameplay, it forces tribes to settle on the edge of junk piles and encourages them to expand members to try to "conquer" it. And then, assume JP ever actually get depleted, the tribe can expand it's buildings into the former area.

I like this idea, a lot! I agree 100% with what you said in OP.