Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Starter Tools - Whats the Deal

Decay? Soulbound? Or just shit tools that are neither?

Someone mentioned that starter tools won't break, and in the long run it won't affect much but in the short term that means someone can set a macro on a junkpile and just go crazy.

Some confirmation would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by Archangei View Post
    Decay? Soulbound? Or just shit tools that are neither?

Someone mentioned that starter tools won't break, and in the long run it won't affect much but in the short term that means someone can set a macro on a junkpile and just go crazy.

Some confirmation would be cool
    As far as I know, all things "will" decay, They have no intention of soulbounding tools, and still unknown about quality. I wouldn't worry about macroers, NG is going to hit them hard if caught. And since everyone thinks we are all squished up in the world it will be easy to find and report them, not to mention I have a feeling the guides will be making their rounds checking for them.

I caught 1 thousand fish with the same bamboo fishing pole. This thing is a BEAST! True story!

Item decay (if it even exists) will just cause more lag. So do not expect it anytime soon...
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
    I caught 1 thousand fish with the same bamboo fishing pole. This thing is a BEAST! True story!

Item decay (if it even exists) will just cause more lag. So do not expect it anytime soon...
    lol
    since the items allready have durability/condition i cant see what should make it lag more, but atm. item decay is turned off.

i think the starter tools are just gonna be the poor quality tools they are now, no soulbound and can decay.

Someone - I forget who, I wish I could remember so I can properly attribute what I think is a rather good idea - was saying in-game the other day that rather than give starting tools, along with the usual random selection of starting recipes it might be better to give an additional set of recipes for really flimsy, mostly useless, basic tools. (Hammer/craft knife/screwdriver/wrench for a tool maker - other appropriate recipes for other professions.) These would be craft-able with just your hands (no tools required) from easily collectible basic materials. (Grass, rock, branches.) They'd last only a few uses before falling apart - you couldn't use them for any kind of efficient crafting. At most, you could use them to grind up a few levels of skill, gain a few recipes and craft 'real' tools. These recipes couldn't be taught to others.

The benefit of all this would be that you couldn't grief a starting player for their tools.

Oh, another benefit would be that you couldn't easily meta-game the system by rolling up a series of throw-away toons just to stockpile a complete set of tools you could pass to your eventual 'main'. At best, you'd have to spend the time it would take to roll up a throw-away, make as many copies of the 'crap' tools as you had the time and patience to create, all just to bequeath a bunch of junk to your main. It would still be possible to meta-game it. It would just take more time and effort to yield a much smaller reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggy View Post

lol
    I, too, am concerned that item decay will be sacrificed in the name of lag. For those who don't get that...every single use of any weapon/tool/armor/item/etc. will also require additional database entries to track wear & send back status updates. It's just more load for the server to handle.

I sincerely hope the code can handle it because without decay, this game's economy is gonna be non-existent. Given enough time, every tribe is going to have 100 baskets full of the top level gear just sitting there being unused.

Quote Originally Posted by baka77 View Post
    I, too, am concerned that item decay will be sacrificed in the name of lag. For those who don't get that...every single use of any weapon/tool/armor/item/etc. will also require additional database entries to track wear & send back status updates. It's just more load for the server to handle.

I sincerely hope the code can handle it because without decay, this game's economy is gonna be non-existent. Given enough time, every tribe is going to have 100 baskets full of the top level gear just sitting there being unused.
    yea but since the items allready have durability/condition (cant remember the wording) the server properly allready checks for this it just doesnt update it, and seeing it allready need to check to see if you have the tool in the first place the extra info doesnt mean another lookup just aditional info on the first.

Quote Originally Posted by dmdisco View Post
    yea but since the items allready have durability/condition (cant remember the wording) the server properly allready checks for this it just doesnt update it, and seeing it allready need to check to see if you have the tool in the first place the extra info doesnt mean another lookup just aditional info on the first.
    Thats just a wild assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by dmdisco View Post
    For the sake of being technical, checking to see if you have a tool to use when executing a recipe, requires a database read. Modifying the tool condition after the crafting transaction requires an additional database update (which is not happening if durability is not currently being tracked).

Reading info is a good deal faster than writing it, so switching on item decay will definitely increase the database load, which MIGHT create noticeable lag. Don't forget that decay is intended to affect ALL items, so tools, weapons, armour and even baskets all have to have their decay recorded.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by jokhul View Post
    For the sake of being technical, checking to see if you have a tool to use when executing a recipe, requires a database read. Modifying the tool condition after the crafting transaction requires an additional database update (which is not happening if durability is not currently being tracked).

Reading info is a good deal faster than writing it, so switching on item decay will definitely increase the database load, which MIGHT create noticeable lag. Don't forget that decay is intended to affect ALL items, so tools, weapons, armour and even baskets all have to have their decay recorded.
    I can understand how item decay would work on a tool being used. How does item decay work on other more passive gear i.e. armour / clothes? I mean, you don't "use" it as such, it's just equipped (as are bags and pouches). Would these just have a life of X seconds/minutes/hours/days?