Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tribe radii

Quote Originally Posted by blake378 View Post
    so say homesteads are 15m 5x15 =75 the new tribe radius= around 30-40 how is that even remotely fair? 5 people being crammed into the old size of one person and if you do the math correctly if we put those 5 homesteads near each other we can cover a lot more area.
    I think you should do this, so when pvp'ers come they can at least kill 4/5 of your crew in a safe zone.

Quote Originally Posted by ifireallymust View Post
    I can see why 5 doesn't get 5 times what one does, although I admit, 5 crammed into the space of a solo homestead seems really crowded.

Reasons for and against turning one band into 5 homesteads:

You only need one fence as a band, same as a solo player (or maybe you'll want a moat/wall/moat/wall/fence intricate type layering, but either way, you still only need it at the perimeter, and if you do decide to put any or all of that up, it takes up a lot of space. The same amount of space for 1 as for 5). If you put up 5 homesteads, you'll need 5 separate perimeters (unless there's a way to connect homesteads with defenses, could be, I wouldn't know). Most of your space will still be taken up by 'fence' if you decide to fence anything at all.

On the plus side, though, resources too spread out to be covered by your one safe zone could be covered by 5 homesteads.

Then again, you can't help each other terraform or build, correct? You would have to abandon your totem to join someone else's homestead in order to help them do any terraforming or building.

Someone can probably kill a visitor before an invulnerable homesteader can kill them or drive them off.

You can expand with every member you recruit if you stay a band. So unless you're certain you want to remain 5, you give up the potential space around you when you split into 5 homesteads.
    yes that correct and im not sure if you can put the radius together but you could cover a lot more scrap pile and have a way to keep it within your group is what im looking at i also agree that tribe size should get the size of one homestead per member up to a certain point.

Quote Originally Posted by blake378 View Post
    so say homesteads are 15m 5x15 =75 the new tribe radius= around 30-40 how is that even remotely fair? 5 people being crammed into the old size of one person and if you do the math correctly if we put those 5 homesteads near each other we can cover a lot more area.
    Let's do same basic math here. (I'm using the numbers above, no idea what the real sizes are)

Area of a circle = pi x r^2

So for a 15m diameter homestead we get 3.14 * 7.5 * 7.5 = 176 m2 and 5 homesteads = 883 m2

Now if the diameter of a small tribe is 40m we get 3.14 * 20 * 20 = 1256 m2

i.e. a tribe of diameter 40m has roughly 50% more area then 5 homesteads of 15m diameter

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    I think you should do this, so when pvp'ers come they can at least kill 4/5 of your crew in a safe zone.
    Well that's only if they can get in to do the killing, but it would take a ton of extra work and resources to make sure they can't. I'm thinking that creating 5 sets of good fencing with no one able to help anyone else with the construction would be tough.

Seems we're all a bit crowded at the moment. Maybe when the mist opens everyone will have the choice to claim a larger area for all types of settlement, if they're willing to deal with the risks involved.

The radius of area with our band of 5 is 25, a neighbor totem has 1 guy and he has a radius of 25. Having 5 people did not improve it or do we have to have a 6th before we see a size increase. In that case don't say 5 is this minimum number since it don't do dick to the tribe area size. So to the math done above whats larger of an area, 1x1963=1963 or 5x1963=9,815.