Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Fishing (General Information)

Nothing really special about this thread. I just thought I would start posting things about the different skills that I find might help others. I'll start another thread when I find other things out.

- From what I've seen the cutthroat and the whitefish give you approx 75% of your health and stack in lots of 20 but they are quite heavy. The brook and brown trout give about 25% health and only stack in 10's. The best foraging foods give about 5-10% and stack in 20's but are very light. I tend to carry 5 trout and 5 cutthroats and 1 stack of berries and that keeps me going for quite a while and keeps my encumbrance down to a reasonable level.

- if you are reasonably full, you won't be able to eat the fish, until you are at a level that would make the full bar greater than max full.

- Fishing pole can be gotten by taking fishing as a skill. Otherwise, you will have to make one or trade for one.

- Fish weigh a lot, so be careful about carrying too many.

I have a question about fishing, actually. Instead of making a thread I'll ask here.

I don't have a fishing rod. Is there a way to make one? If so, how?

From what I have read it seems that you can use toolcrafting for that.

Xsyon Citizen
    All tools can be made but you have to have the patterns for them and currently the crafting is not turned on

Quote Originally Posted by Love View Post
    I have a question about fishing, actually. Instead of making a thread I'll ask here.

I don't have a fishing rod. Is there a way to make one? If so, how?
    It kind of sucks right now, cauz you can't gather anything. I know ppl who rerolled their toon and took fishing so that they could get a pole.

Xsyon Citizen

fish info and questions

yeah right now you have to rerool to get a fishing pole....which is what i did because it's one of the most useful of the 5 things you can do in this game. or was that 4?

trying to keep your hunger bar up while foraging left me starving to death most of the time and i hear that cuts into leveling ability.

as far as tips for fishing goes, be aware that having a ton of fish on you, or even small amounts of fish can weigh you down so that you move slower. if you dont want to waste fish , you can add fish to your totem by creating a quest. i hate throwing perfectly good food away.

there also seem to be different fish in different locations. there might even be different fish by zones or seasons, but i'm not sure yet. so far i've found salmon, mack fish, whiting, cuthroat, reds and a few others. the whiting and cut throat seem to be in the streams and mountain areas. maybe only near the mountains.

does anyone know what the lightest fish is or what the heaviest fish is?

There are at least three types of trout - brown, brook, and something else (can't get in game to check).

For those who are new and take fishing as a skill and can't find their fishing pole open your inventory and check on your back - it should be in one of the two slots for your back that are at the top of the inventory screen.

From what I've seen the cutthroat and the whitefish give you approx 75% of your health and stack in lots of 20 but they are quite heavy. The brook and brown trout give about 25% health and only stack in 10's. The best foraging foods give about 5-10% and stack in 20's but are very light. I tend to carry 5 trout and 5 cutthroats and 1 stack of berries and that keeps me going for quite a while and keeps my encumbrance down to a reasonable level. Hope that helps.

These are my findings so far, i tried to use a ruler on my screen to get the values as accurate as possible but mesuring by the pixel is tricky, but i would say they are decent estimates given the fact eating a cutthroat and a brook trout fills 100% and eating 3 brown trouts fills what seems to be 99% and eating 3 brook trouts fills what seems to be 90% and you can eat 2 brown trouts and 1 brook trout for about 96% and you can eat 2 brook trouts and 1 brown trout for about 93% but you cannot eat a cutthroat and a brown trout.

mountain whitefish 90%
    cutthroat 70%
    brown trout 33%
    brook trout 30%

Actual fill values may also be related to 1 or more stats but that is unclear atm.

I made this thread in our tribes personal forums a while back, I update it when I find something new

Hope that helps a few. It's not 100%, just a work in progress