Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Siege Mechanics Suggestions

Didn't notice any threads about this... ( I bet I missed like 7 on the front page didn't I?) Anyways, not here to discuss like if it will be in or anything. But I was wondering if anyone had any really cool ideas, stuff that haden't been used in previous MMO's for sieges.

Here's mine:

Something like in LotR movies where when a battering ram would start hammer on a gatehouse door, to be able to brace it with your bodies, where it would hurt you quite a deal, also where you could maybe use lumber, sand and other things of that nature

Ability to dig trenches.

Add traps, spike pits and such.

This may never ever happen, but would like to see maybe tunnleing under the walls?

Alright your turn =D

Re:Siege Mechanics Suggestions

well, trenches would be in from the start, as players will be able to rise and lower terrain.

I was just talking to some guildies about the digging part. As soon as I heard they were thinking about adding in mines, first thing I thought of was offensive tunneling. Followed closely by underground cities. But that would likely fall under the same guide lines as enemy players trying to build structures in your camp (provided you were left along long enough). Maybe a permissions thing?

Traps have been suggested quite a bit, and would have to be discovered once they were implemented. But from how many people have suggested it, it would defiantly be a candidate for consideration. Only hard part would be the implementation, and in what forms.

I still would like to see subterranean cities, with sloping entrances, and a trap that triggers the "Indiana Jones OhCrapGotaRun ball of doom"
    [img size=300]http://i843.photobucket.com/albums/zz360/Nightsky01/Sig/Nightsky.gif[/img]

Heh, right now in Wurm there is a fairly significant siege happening, with a lot of these suggestions.

One side is in a walled island city with mines that boats can sail in and out of, and sally ports in the walls.

The other side has built a walled bridge with sally ports to get close enough for an eventual assault.

There are catapults on both sides, and there are several skirmishes per day.

Both sides are fighting, building, repairing.

Siege works reasonably well in Wurm, I hope to see the same or better in Xsyon.

Xsyon Citizen

Now if only Wurm had decent animations to back up those siege mechanics we might have a winner

brando wrote:
    Now if only Wurm had decent animations to back up those siege mechanics we might have a winner
    Yup, lack of avatar and creature eye candy is a big turnoff for a lot of people who might otherwise enjoy Wurm. The landscape and item graphics aren't bad though, and are getting a lot better with recent changes, for the most part.

If Xsyon manages to combine crafting, terraforming, a good skill system, and good overall graphics together in a nice sandbox package, I'll almost certainly build a house here

Farmerbob wrote:[/quote]

If Xsyon manages to combine crafting, terraforming, a good skill system, and good overall graphics together in a nice sandbox package, I'll almost certainly build a house here [/quote]

QFT
    Hey

This game should not have sieges since that only leads to zerg warfare and lag. With all the interactive items in this game I suspect Xsyon will be more susceptible to lag than other games.

A more dispersed type of game mechanic for territorial conquest is better for this game. Fluid, small group battles are the best fights.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

Oakstead wrote:
    This game should not have sieges since that only leads to zerg warfare and lag. With all the interactive items in this game I suspect Xsyon will be more susceptible to lag than other games.

A more dispersed type of game mechanic for territorial conquest is better for this game. Fluid, small group battles are the best fights.
    As a former darkfaller, I agree!!

Farmerbob wrote:
    If Xsyon manages to combine crafting, terraforming, a good skill system, and good overall graphics together in a nice sandbox package, I'll almost certainly build a house here

Farmerbob from Gul Jarneth? hmy:

I mean I agree in a sense, but if the game is done right, it won't turn into a major zerg. Put restriction on alliances, I mean in Darkfall when it is not a zerg fight, the fights are so much fun, and if Xsyon can figure out a way to keep it rather small scale ( I dont want to see sieges by 10vs10) Also they should keep merc a possible way to play but a way so that not EVERYONE can be payed or come haha.

I think the best way to do this... the game not get so small so every time there is a siege, everyones so bored that they rush to go to the siege.