Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Maybe trolling: Dodgy and Intriguing

You've been warned in the title. I'm not a forum troll by disposition, this whole site and the forums on it just amaze me. Allow me to elaborate.

I've seen lots of MMORPG's over the years offer this type of sandbox feature list. All of them have ended up either:

1) Never released.
    2) A horrible buggy game barely resembling the original idea.
    3) A flat out scam.

I work professionally as a software developer, and 90% of the time I've been burned on contracting work it was by Nevada corporations. If you ever paid attention, most of the shifty quasi legal Spyware and Ad-ware companies are incorporated out of Nevada. They set up in NV because Nevada corporations are harder to sue than corporations in any other state, and easiest to maintain and run relatively anonymously.

A game with a feature list this large and innovative would be expected to have an extended Alpha test, and many Beta phases that collectively last a year or more. But...they are going straight from closed testing to release? How they convinced so many of you to pre-order is frankly beyond me. Its completely implausible to anyone who works on software for a living writing code or managing projects.

I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time; I think many of the people here have. I followed Trials of Ascension, Horizons, etc. I doubt this game is it, but I'll lurk in the shadows a little while to see how this pre-order thing plays out for those involved.

Until then please humor me with the answer to my burning question; How did you, the responder to this thread, personally rationalize your pre-order purchase?

Re:Maybe trolling: Dodgy and Intriguing

I love lamp...?

just been trying to get rid of all this cash. want some?

Sure, do you do Paypal? I'm still trying to pay off my Aventurine misadventure. :blush:

This why...

Marou wrote:
    You've been warned in the title. I'm not a forum troll by disposition, this whole site and the forums on it just amaze me. Allow me to elaborate.

I've seen lots of MMORPG's over the years offer this type of sandbox feature list. All of them have ended up either:

1) Never released.
    3) A flat out scam.

I work professionally as a software developer, and 90% of the time I've been burned on contracting work it was by Nevada corporations. If you ever paid attention, most of the shifty quasi legal Spyware and Ad-ware companies are incorporated out of Nevada. They set up in NV because Nevada corporations are harder to sue than corporations in any other state, and easiest to maintain and run relatively anonymously.

A game with a feature list this large and innovative would be expected to have an extended Alpha test, and many Beta phases that collectively last a year or more. But...they are going straight from closed testing to release? How they convinced so many of you to pre-order is frankly beyond me. Its completely implausible to anyone who works on software for a living writing code or managing projects.

I've been waiting for a game like this for a long time; I think many of the people here have. I followed Trials of Ascension, Horizons, etc. I doubt this game is it, but I'll lurk in the shadows a little while to see how this pre-order thing plays out for those involved.

Until then please humor me with the answer to my burning question; How did you, the responder to this thread, personally rationalize your pre-order purchase?
    Exactly. The chances this is a real game that actually delivers what it claims are very slim. I didn't really rationalize my purchase, did it just because.
    Council Of Mullahs
    ????? ??? ??? ???? ???????

Marou wrote:

1) Never released.
    3) A flat out scam.

I've wondered a lot of this myself, as most rational people would. I believe a few rational people pre-ordered anyway because they have the money to blow, or because they were willing to risk it being at the ground floor so to speak. Others will buy, and defend, anything regardless of how suspicious it looks.

I'm with you, I definitely think something is wrong here. I don't necessarily think it's a flat out scam or vaporware, although it might be. I just think the game's features (each of which is supposedly at least 80% done) are probably almost all hanging around that mark, meaning the game has a lot of unfinished features, so they don't want to show it off (lack of videos, new screens, etc.)

I haven't preordered but I thought of doing it, because frankly 40 bucks isn't that big of a deal. Still decided not to, however, but I'll pick it up if it's legit and good. I do find the zealots amusing though, who defend this game with their lives already and call anyone that questions anything a troll.

they are Nevada LLC for the simple reason that it's where the lead developer / company owner lives

After a little research...

Here is the listing from Nevada:

http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/Cor...53d%253d&nt7=0

And here is the picture of their place of business courtesy of Google maps.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...00284&t=h&z=19

I'm pretty sure this is Jordi Davis' house...The "business number" on the pre-order page white pages to his personal phone too.

I honestly took the risk of pre-ordering because if the game is real (Which I still believe it is, though I can't blame people for being cautious.) I want to be one of the first in. Second, I think it would be fairly easy to charge back $40.00 from my credit card company if it did indeed turn out to be a scam. Even if I can't charge it back, I'll just avoid ordering a few pizzas ;p.

Though after seeing your last post, I am a bit skeptical myself if their place of business is his house lol.