Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wurm

Wurm

Just started playing Wurm last night. I feel like I've gone back 5 years in gaming history. How comes it gets so much love? :huh:

Re: Wurm

Its heaven for crafters and builders alike, your imagination is your only limit . I fired it up , Didn't like it based on what you said , It's To old looking for me to pay any attention to sadly

Although ive heard its good, Just looks confusing to me . I ought to give it more than 20 minutes of my time

Re:Wurm

Lily wrote:
    Just started playing Wurm last night. I feel like I've gone back 5 years in gaming history. How comes it gets so much love? :huh:
    Everyone gives old games that they've played a long time ago and enjoyed praise.

Lily wrote:
    Because its all about playability and freedom, babe, LOL

You're all Neo-kids

because the mining and looting is win....

been playing with a few guys for a few days now while waiting for release.

I played it awhile ago for a few weeks; it was a blast, though definitely time-consuming to get things rolling. I had a lot of fun, interesting experiences:

- I was learning how to cook food, so I made a campfire in the middle of the woods. It was pretty dark due to it being nighttime and suddenly a guy appeared next to me. I was pretty scared so I immediately ran away lol. I was new, and this was on a pvp server, so you can imagine the adrenaline I was experiencing.

- I met a friendly, helpful player that was willing to help me renovate an abandoned house I discovered in the woods. The cool thing is that it was next to a mine, so he created a gated area leading from the mine to my house. After gaining some skills, I built a fenced area and starting growing crops. It was really awesome having a place to call home!

- A few days later a different guy warned me of not causing any trouble in the community and threatened to destroy my house if I did anything to offend him lol. Nice welcoming party. The next time I logged in, a pile of human meat was dropped outside my door along with my door being damaged. Guess he wanted to reinforce his warning.

- One time a huge spider decided to camp my home for a few hours so I didn't get much done :P Every now and then I checked my house windows and even went outside to scout the area. The spider came out of nowhere so I had to run over to my fence and lock the gate. Good thing I figured out how to create and use a lock before then; otherwise the spider could've just followed me in.

- Another time I was gardening and a random guy showed up. We both stared at each other for awhile until he left. Not sure what he wanted but I didn't want to leave the security of my fence lol. In this game, experienced players can kill you with only a few hits.

Anyway I ended up quitting only because my boyfriend got bored >.< main issue with the game is that traveling can be pretty slow unless you're on a road. Kinda sucked because I had worked a lot on improving the house and building a lot of useful tools that took about 50 tries to successfully make. I'm really hoping Xsyon can eventually become as advanced as Wurm Online in terms of gameplay features. I liked the complexity of house and tool creation in addition to terraforming.

I'm with someone who used to play a lot - his old holding is still there (a rather nice little place by the sea). Trying to work out if it's worth the time.

Nezabyte wrote:
    Anyway I ended up quitting only because my boyfriend got bored >.<
    Its a womans duty to keep her man happy so we understand.
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

The problem for newer players trying the game out is that the tutorial server, which is the free one is absolutely crap and it gives wurm as a whole a bad name. From what ive heard there is hordes of 4 chan players running around looting players, the server is filled with shanty towns from players who come and go and because of the skill cap every item is at 20ql.

When you enter Freedom or Wild (which is where i am) its a whole other experience. Wild is 16 times bigger than the tutorial server and grants access to major terraforming, im talking 300 steep dirt walls for protection around towns, PvP and major town raids, and some of the best weapons and enchanted armour you can find. There is also the religions which is huge part of the gameplay as about half the playerbase of wild is priest/champ.

And real world trading is a massive part of the game too. A scale set can be sold for over 100 euros enchanted.

One of the big attractions of Wurm is that the vast majority of high end crafting is work-based rewards rather than luck based.

At very low skill, there's a lot of luck, but for most skills this period of luck is short if you work at improving the skill.

Skills really mean something in Wurm, and mastery of skills is no joke.