Xsyon Citizen

Static Buildings?

I'm wondering if it will be possible to dismantle your buildings and move them, or will you have to start over with new buildings? Searching through posts I didn't see this question.

I was trying to think think about this from an early game perspective. In the beginning how many tribes do you think will stay around the entry areas? Will some tribes make a couple hours walking trip to find a remote spot for their town? If so do they ruin their chance of growing their playerbase? If you could dismantle and move buildings this would make it easier to move if an area has too many tribes fighting for resources. Granted it would probably take a while to pack up and move an entire encampment log by log.

I remember reading a dev response in the FAQ thread that said currently one tribe could not destroy another tribe's buildings. If that is so, then can the tribe that owns those buildings destroy them?

Edit: I changed the subject as the more I thought on this thread it is about static buildings, not so much moving them. Once you build something is it there forever? Can you destroy it, dismantle it for parts? If someone quits the game will their buildings ever degrade and disappear or will we see huts all over the starter towns that never disappear after years of play.

Re:Moving cities

I really hope that it is not possible to take down, move, and rebuild buildings more easily that simply moving and replacing them.

Provided of course that we aren't talking about tents/yurts/wagons or similar mobile housing.

Xsyon Citizen

Re:Moving cities

Tents would seem easy to dismantle, or would it be like some other games. Does a small tent have a set time frame before it expires, perhaps like a campfire? Does a campfire have a timer where you have to place more wood or it expires, but a tent would stay up indefinitely?

Can you dismantle some buildings and not others? Once you build a log cabin is it there in the world forever? You decide to move on to a new location, but your old cabin is static. Any new person coming along can take it?

Xsyon Citizen

Re:Static buildings

While I'm still thinking about this...static buildings.

Let's say someone plays the game for 1-2 months, builds a small hut and then leaves the game. How long is that hut in the world? Will the building degrade over time? If someone doesn't login to the world within a certain amount of time will the building be considering "abandoned?" That would be kinda neat.

I prefer not to see the countryside littered with tents/huts over the course of years. So a way for them to degrade or go into an abandoned state where others can dismantle them for use would be nice.

Re:Static Buildings?

I think initially all buildings will belong to your tribe. You might be able to set up temporary campsites, but buildings are in towns and towns are owned by tribes.

Now you might have personal housing within a town, but it is up to the tribe to decide who gets to build what where in their town. But I don't feel that they will allow random cabins and homesteads without them being assigned to a tribe.

Though there hasn't been any statement of what happens to a tribe if the membership drops below 10 members, so you might be able to get 9 other independents to form a tribe, then drop to 1. But sphere of influence is determined by the size of the tribe, so a 1 person tribe would control a very small area.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perception is reality

Xsyon Citizen

Re:Static Buildings?

I was thinking this might work a little similar to Love. If you have read up any about that game. Monoliths have a sphere of influence you can build around. I'm guessing totems will be the same. The larger the number of people pledged to a totem/tribe the greater the influence area to build.

http://www.quelsolaar.com/love/gameplay_video.html

However, what happens if you move a totem? Do all the buildings immediately collapse? Can you be left with abandoned buildings? Do you have to destroy buildings before you move the totem?

Just tossing around ideas while we wait. I know we will have all these answers soon enough as we discover for ourselves.

I know we got a dev response stating that if enough interest was given they may consider nomad building later, not in Prelude.