Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Books

Books

I myself am a big reader, and I always love a good story.

Heres a list of books that I have found amazing. (I warn you, some of these are teen books and as long as the scenario seems amazing to me, I think its a good book)

The Hunger Games
    Unwind
    The Compound
    The Maze Runner

I plan to read some Stephen King, as my mom has to been reading it and told me I should

If anyone else likes reading feel free to post a list of books that you have found to be a good read.

Xsyon Citizen

Re:Books

My favourite for post-apocalyptic scenarios are:

Hiero's Journey
    The unforsaken Hiero

Both written by Sterling E. Lanier.

I have read them first nearly 30 years ago and do read them again and again and again...

When in darkness or in doubt,
    run in circles, scream and shout.

Honor Harrington series by David Webber
    The General series by David Drake (post apoc world in far future and planet)

Xsyon Citizen

The Vampire Earth Series is pretty good by E.E. Knight. Vampires being aliens that have spread a plague across the earth and now feed off the life energy of the remaining humans.

A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin are my all time favorite books.

The Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay is good.

Currently reading A Song for Arbonne by Kay.

If you enjoy British humor and have never read Terry Pratchett I suggest picking up some of his Discworld books. Fast, easy reads, and the stories are hilarious. Wyrd Sisters, Equal Rites, Witches Abroad, Small Gods, Mort, and Reaper Man are just some of the ones I have enjoyed.

Anything at all written by David Weber, David Drake, or John Ringo would be good, but for Hard Core "what would we do if it were all gone" you cannot beat the 1632 series.

It has a totally different twist. A slice of modern day USA gets "pushed" back to the year 1632 in the middle of the 100 years war in Germany. The book focuses you on what is, and is not sustainable for a modern culture without any infrastructure. You not only have a people struggling to "discover" the old ways that they can maintain for technology, but coping with their future in a very difficult time period of the 100 years war.

This series actually has colaboration of all 3 of these epic SciFi/Fantasy/Military SciFi writers.

Weber also has a series started with the title "Off Armageddon Reef".
    Minkind has been hunted down to extinction, and on a longshot a secret plan is hatched to drop colonists on a planet very far out of the way and put in place a satalite system that LIMITS their technology to prevent the enemy from detecting humanity on the planet.

And Finally we get John Ringo with a great series that projects humanity so far into the future that we invent a computer that takes care of everything for us... I mean everything. Humans resort to 100% leasure time. No work, no effort. People actually create mythical kingdoms by using gene technology to transform themselves into dwarfs, orcs, elves, and yes, even dragons! Humans become so self absorbed in their own fantasies, that they forget to BREED. Then Mother decides that for their own good, humanity start taking care of themselves again. She allows a separatist group to plunge society from a place where mere thought gains instant gratification of your desire, to live off the land or die trying.

If you like sci-fi then you may find the Foundation trilogy from Isaac Asimov ( or even his whole Robot-Empire universe ) interesting.

( I also love Jane Austin's books, but probably its not your style :laugh: )

Anything by Neil Gaiman.

I'm not really into generic fantasy or horror and non-fiction can and will bore the hell out of me. Neil Gaiman is perfect as all his books are just plain weird.

Stanislaw Lem, a Polish writer, wrote The Robot Fairytales, Pilot Pirx, Solaris... Guy wrote like awesome, deep, books. Worth a try

Valdemaros wrote:
    Stanislaw Lem, a Polish writer, wrote The Robot Fairytales, Pilot Pirx, Solaris... Guy wrote like awesome, deep, books. Worth a try
    Sounds emo.
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

Valdemaros wrote:
    Loved Pirx, we had a series here about his adventures when I was a kid, it was hilarious with spaceships made of lemon squeezer and old coffee makers lol