Weaponcrafting Junk

Has anyone else been having a hell of a time finding blades and old pipes needed to make weapons? I've been spending a ton of time scavenging in and around junk piles and have only found 1 hatchet blade but tons of pennies, dollars and buttons.

Am I doing something wrong? Should I be collecting the metal resources in junk piles and sorting them rather than using the scavenging skill?

Nope scavenging is the way to go. I've found maybe 2 blades and I have 55-ish scavenging (max perception, max intellect). I have found tons of bats either plastic, wooden or metal. Bats seem like the way to go if you can get the recipe.

Ya, scavenging is a slow process. You still never seem to get the one item you're out to get, but you see a lot more returns as it levels... and leathercraft recipes... and toolcraft recipes.... /slitwrist

If by "hatchet blade" you mean metal wedges to make axes, then your best bet is sorting metal although you will get them fairly frequently scavenging as well. Sorting will also yield nails for the Tulipi Spike Club and small metal sheets for the Wooden Studded Club.

For other weapons you will need to scavenge at least one component. Bats are the most common scavenge result followed by knife blades, picks, and spades. Five and 10 pound weights are nearly as common as bats, but old pipes are in the old saw blade frequency so you can't make quantities of Ten Pound Beaters.

Weapons to grind on (if you have the recipes and can get/make wooden handles) in order of ease of obtaining mats:
    Tulipi Spike Club
    Axes
    Wooden Studded Club
    PXM Bat / Rock Bludgener
    Knives
    Picks
    Shovels

Kang: Right now they have a board with a nail in it. But they won't stop there. Soon they will make bigger boards with bigger nails until they make a board with a nail in it so big it will destroy them all!

Ravelli

Who levels weapon craft with blades and other rare items....there is one receipe which is the best.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hello. During beta (yeah i know, things changed a lot since). During beta, with scavenging at 80 to 90+ finding blades and pipes was a dime a dozen. Not sure on current scavening (have to recheck all the skills now that I am back). At lower skill levels its very hard to find what you need. Not sure this was helpful at all, basically you need high skill level in scavening to obtain what your looking for.

There are some recipes that use sorted materials rather than scavenged, which is ideal. I had to find a recipe for it myself. However, my major problem now is that virtually everything uses medium wooden handles - and trees are already wiped out in massive areas. We need recipes that use branches instead I think.

Quote Originally Posted by biotek View Post
    However, my major problem now is that virtually everything uses medium wooden handles - and trees are already wiped out in massive areas. We need recipes that use branches instead I think.
    fyi once the trees are down the branches become alot more scarce, too.

Back to OP I think the best first thing you can do for WS is grind the F out of your scavenge.