Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prelude?

Prelude?

I notice the prelude thing is thrown around a bit including in the name. What I am wondering is how long do you expect the 'prelude' to be and how will it work for players once you transition over to the next 'chapter' if you will.

Will there be server wipes and starting anew as in A Tale In The Desert?

Re: Prelude?

From what I have gathered, Prelude will be a time of exploration and the claiming of land. Players will establish their tribes, claim their land, hunt and gather etc.

Xsyon has said in his posts that Prelude will last through the summer. After prelude, I believe that another chapter will emerge where the world size increases and lost technology begins to redevelop. Almost like a new age.

I don't think you will be losing your characters, instead I think they will adapt to this new apocalyptic wasteland, and turn from wandering nomads into established tribes and towns.

Visitor

Ahhh.... you see i thought prelude was only open to preorders - like a reward for the first players to shape the world in a sorta closed beta environment.. i must have just made that up in my head! :S
    Dont sweat the petty things...never pet the sweaty things!

Has there been any word if the future chapters will be free with the subscription or need to be purchased as expansions?

Virtus has told us they would be free.

No, there will not be any server or character wipes. Merely the ending of one chapter and the beginning of another.

Yes things like old technology will prob start to unearth its self along with other things that may not be so welcome....

The chapters are all part of the game advancement and will not require you to buy them, they will merely be patcher updates.

Skitzi wrote:
    Has there been any word if the future chapters will be free with the subscription or need to be purchased as expansions?
    Future expansions will be free to current players.

Xsyon wrote:
    Skitzi wrote:
    Future expansions will be free to current players.
    This is the way to do it.
    Blizzard is ridiculous charging players for more content after they already pay a monthly fee. I always thought the monthly fee was for the continuous development of the game :/
    Brum, brum.

Virtus wrote:

The chapters are all part of the game advancement and will not require you to buy them, they will merely be patcher updates.
    This right here is a major selling point for me. This is something that bigger game development teams (WoW EQ2 etc) seem to forget.

The prelude is (if I am looking at it right) an amazing idea.

Starting off small and letting the world "Open up" around us will help with quality control while at the same time being a feature.

Discovery has become a lost art in gaming.
    Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage.

Niccolo Machiavelli

Discovery has become a lost art in gaming.
    Yes! This is exactly why I will be deliberately vague about some upcoming features and exact game mechanics.

One thing that kills most mass-market games for me is the lack of discovery. You can look up all stats, quest details and even exactly how to run a fight or what's the best PVP strategy and build, and if you don't look these things up the game becomes more tedious not more fun.

We'd like players to feel the excitement of uncovering a new resource or strange lost object and wondering what they can do with it. Bringing this resource to the right craftsman can spark an 'inspiration'.

Sure, over time as players discover what combination sparks a certain 'inspiration' what was once a product of imagination can become commonplace, much like a real life invention.

So our goal is to constantly add things to the game that are not just more of the same, but suprising things that can be discovered.