Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Keep local as it is but add option to turn it off.
    Add proximity (25metres or so) chat.

Current chat system is crap.

i dont mind it being 9 zones, i just wish i could turn it off

and a /say would be nice.

and a /shout (zone you're in)

The only reason at the time I do not agree reducing the range on local would be for trading reasons, we have no official town or location where we trade only other thing we can do is add trading in the forums.

I think til something is in place we shouldnt reduce the range

I agree with the OP 100%. Hopefully we can get a new channel for true immediate-vicinity chat. A tremendous amount of political/RP gameplay is impossible with the current system not allowing us to walk up to a camp and speak only to the members currently in front of us. The most basic genesis of player interactions such as, "Hello the camp!", "Who goes there?", "I come in peace.", etc are completely impossible with the current system. IMO this is the worst chat system possible for a mmorpg. Hell, even the mud's I played back in the day all had short (normal) chat range channels. It's basic, it's required, and I very much hope the dev team has plans to implement a semblance of realistic communication very soon. Every aspect of player interaction is hindered by the current system.

Quote Originally Posted by kergan View Post
    I agree with the OP 100%. Hopefully we can get a new channel for true immediate-vicinity chat. A tremendous amount of political/RP gameplay is impossible with the current system not allowing us to walk up to a camp and speak only to the members currently in front of us. The most basic genesis of player interactions such as, "Hello the camp!", "Who goes there?", "I come in peace.", etc are completely impossible with the current system. IMO this is the worst chat system possible for a mmorpg. Hell, even the mud's I played back in the day all had short (normal) chat range channels. It's basic, it's required, and I very much hope the dev team has plans to implement a semblance of realistic communication very soon. Every aspect of player interaction is hindered by the current system.
    spot on mate, its weird in a game that seems to pride itself on realism that the chat system could have been so totally overlooked.

Agreed to OP, no chat all together

they should put global back, give it the restrictions local chat have now, and then make local a 100 meter radius chat.

25 or even 50 might be a bit too small an area.. I'd agree with about 75 - 100m would be appropriate (remember large tribes have a vast area you need to be able to cover some of it..)

Quote Originally Posted by Heolstor View Post
    I agree 100% with this, it's as bad as global was before.
    Yes it is, why can I hear people talking for MILES away. And why isn't whisper easier to do? When someone whispers me I should be able to do a short command to reply. Some MMO do /r. IMO General chat should only be heard if you are in visable range of your target. Maybe 100 click radius tops. If I want to trade I should have to go to a trade hub area or seek out other tribes. Please put this in.

Local, at 3x3 zones, is actually more of a Regional chat. And would be fine if that's what it was, and you could select a tab to use it or not. In addition to area trade, 'regional' chat is also useful for warning others in the area of any marauding forces approaching an area. So it has it's place.

Local should be 1 zone, or the radius broadcast. Yes Radius broadcast will take a bit of coding, but it is do-able... I've played another sandbox game very similar to this that has been using it for years now. However, even with radius type local chat, you are still going to get occurrences of one side of a conversation.

I think an ally chat is probably a good solution for neighbors to be able to converse without jarring interruptions, smack-talk from a regional narcissist or what have you.