Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Item Decay & Skill Decay

Been trading up and down the northern and eastern zones, and aside from the rare materials and high-value resources that everyone and every tribe is trying to get their hands on, it seems like there's less and less demand for more mundane items.

Tools, baskets, clothes, etc seem to be deteriorating in value extremely quickly, to the point people are just handing them out to get rid of them.

Part of the blame for this is probably because of how easy it is to simply grind Toolcraft, for tools, but the rest of the bigger issue at hand is that there isn't any item decay.

While the PvPing crowd is helping, somewhat, with this -- it doesn't solve the issue at hand that the supply is going ridiculously up and the demand is practically withering away. Eventually, when people begin to craft those higher-end items from ultra rare resources and they don't deteriorate, the world will become flooded with them ( both because of their extremely high quality and the fact that they do not decay as quickly as low-quality parts ).

Even the PvPers are eventually just going to start tossing the items they loot from people.

What item decay directly ties into is Skill Decay. I've got about 30 in almost every craft with a good bit of recipes in all of them ( except Architecture ) -- not because I want to try and jack of all trades it, but simply because I haven't decided what to specialize in.

For the sake of not making specializations obsolete as well as flooding the world with high-end items ( because that's quickly going to happen at this rate ), Skill Decay and Item Decay need to be turned back on.

Not at the cost of performance, but something needs to be done.

I'd just like to get a feel of what everyone else thinks about this, and if they've begun to notice those same trends.

ofc, item decay and a character system were you have to specialize is needed. However i think they keep this on for a while now so the world gets flooded with first basic tools

Yeah, it kinda sucks. One more area that Eve gets right and most other games get wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Saolite View Post
    Not at the cost of performance, but something needs to be done.
    Within your question lies the answer.

I would imagine this will be one of the earlier features turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    ofc, item decay and a character system were you have to specialize is needed. However i think they keep this on for a while now so the world gets flooded with first basic tools
    The poblem is though I've already seen a few Master Craft items floating around. A few tools that use obsidian already, too ( granted those are still very, very rare ). But the point is that the longer item decay is off, the more these items will begin to show up and the less they will be worth in the long run.

On the one hand, yes, I think basic tools should be fairly widespread. But considering some toosl only require a rock and/or some twine, I'd say the world is nicely saturated with tools and won't "run out" any time soon.

Though more than tools, the rest of the craftable items need decay just as much. Armor ( even if cosmetic only right now ) needs decay. Clothing. Weapons. Tools would be, initially, the biggest to be impacted by item decay. But all crafts would benefit from item decay -- more demand all around. Architecture.....does that deacy? Will that decay? That might be good, too, if there was some type of "upkeep" possible.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Yeah, it kinda sucks. One more area that Eve gets right and most other games get wrong.

I greatly enjoy the way EVE handles it's crafting and economy, in general. But that is sometimes not possible in other games.

Quote Originally Posted by Saolite View Post

I greatly enjoy the way EVE handles it's crafting and economy, in general. But that is sometimes not possible in other games.
    I don't see why not.

Could a mod close one of these threads? We don't need people clammering to stabilise an economy that doesn't exist yet in a game that's still barely playable half the time... Lag fixes first, then craft+combat (secondary skills too) fixes so there's a purpose in having items at all, THEN we can talk about decay. Get your priorities right guys.

Altough you might have a point, Phazaar, perhaps one day you'll log into a lag free game where every player/tribe has everything he actually needs.

What will play be like when that happens? Stable and lag free yes, but what else? People just sitting at their completed camps looking through their baskets full of top level gear/weapons/tools.

Then you'll see people demanding that new stuff be added, and that takes time and effort and another roll of server isnatbility as new systems and features are implemented.

I do think lag is a priority, but I also believe that right now the game is stable enough to welcome both item decay and skill decay...both absolutly essential features to make Xsyon work.

Decay and quality to items cause a hit to database performance. Requires that much more information be communicated back and forth. Though you would think that my crafting knife would disintegrate the first time I carve a tool out of granite with it.

there is going to be item decay and skill decay etc. they just havent turned it on yet givem time theres more pressing issues like the lag during primetime and some fps issues