Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34
  1. #1

    Decaying Buildings and Structures

    Seeing that character aging will take a large role in the game, I was curious what other people would think about building degredation?

    Basically, the concept is, lets say you build a log cabin. You play the game for a year, and later you decide you want to move to a different location or abandon the log cabin, or even leave the game.

    Would it be possible... or plausible to have abandoned buildings, have a decay system? A lot of housing systems have maitenence cost, and here, a maintainence cost would actually mean something... Or better yet, over large periods of time, you would have to harvest resources to maintain your structures and repair them.

    And to a structure that hasn't been maintained... after a couple of years, the building falls apart and could be looted for scrap materials. Better yet, if it is just abandoned, it could be founded and made a new home to someone else, or dismantled for materials as well... sort of like cutting down a tree, only instead, your dismantling a building to reuse the resources that were put into it.

    Just a neat idea that went through my mind. Tell me what you all think.

  2. #2

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    What you are describing is the same system that is in place for UO, and I would hope is or will be in place here. It's always been a good idea and keeps things dynamic, which this game seems to be all about.
    -Trekkan
    Just For Fun Gaming
    www.jffgaming.com

  3. #3
    Xsyon Citizen
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East Coast, US
    Posts
    52

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    I attempted to start a similar thread about static buildings but didn't get a lot of response:


    http://www.xsyon.com/forums/28-featu...atic-buildings

    One of the more recent faq updates does state that you can build anywhere, and that buildings are only safe within the area of tribal influence. That are also thinking of eventually making this buildings attackable. So not sure if the buildings will decay, but looks like they can at least be destroyed.

    One of my fears was seeing tons of huts/tents littering the landscape after people quit the game. Looks like we can at least destroy them if a tribe doesn't own the land.

  4. #4

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    I tottally agree with this feature. I'm playing WURM atm, with loads of abandoned places, buildings, fences... Imagine a new player looking for a place to settle... nightmare. If decay is implemented, they can damage and turn into ruins, making it a lair for some vultures, animals or even zombies.

  5. #5

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    Valdemaros wrote:
    I tottally agree with this feature. I'm playing WURM atm, with loads of abandoned places, buildings, fences... Imagine a new player looking for a place to settle... nightmare. If decay is implemented, they can damage and turn into ruins, making it a lair for some vultures, animals or even zombies.
    Decaying sounds good, but it has several problems as well. The main one is that it takes really long...why keep up space for 1-2 months if the player has left the game already ? The other problem that it will not encourage the old player to return to the game....why would he, if everything he has worked for disappeared.

    So personally I think it would be better to kind of pack up the quitting player's property, and move it into his bank or any type of storage. When he cancels his subscription all his properties (houses, mines, whatever) should disappear from the game, and the materials he used to build them should appear in his bank.

  6. #6

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    Jadzia wrote:
    Valdemaros wrote:
    I tottally agree with this feature. I'm playing WURM atm, with loads of abandoned places, buildings, fences... Imagine a new player looking for a place to settle... nightmare. If decay is implemented, they can damage and turn into ruins, making it a lair for some vultures, animals or even zombies.
    Decaying sounds good, but it has several problems as well. The main one is that it takes really long...why keep up space for 1-2 months if the player has left the game already ? The other problem that it will not encourage the old player to return to the game....why would he, if everything he has worked for disappeared.

    So personally I think it would be better to kind of pack up the quitting player's property, and move it into his bank or any type of storage. When he cancels his subscription all his properties (houses, mines, whatever) should disappear from the game, and the materials he used to build them should appear in his bank.
    Thats why some people are putting their accounts or in-game possesions on auction. If they can't play because of RL issues or have lost the interrest for saome reason, they could actually have an option to put their deeds on sleep somehow...

    Edit: but not for long... If hte spot is good, there will be many willing to take it over. Also, this game puts on team play, so there will/should be somebody around to fix things

  7. #7

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    Valdemaros wrote:

    Thats why some people are putting their accounts or in-game possesions on auction. If they can't play because of RL issues or have lost the interrest for saome reason, they could actually have an option to put their deeds on sleep somehow...

    Edit: but not for long... If hte spot is good, there will be many willing to take it over. Also, this game puts on team play, so there will/should be somebody around to fix things
    As far as I know selling accounts is illegal in most of the games...no idea how it will work in Xsyon. And that again wouldn't encourage a veteran player to return to the game.

    I've played a game with decaying system, and it took 3 months after the player cancelled his subscription till his properties finally became claimable by others. Till then they were taking up space and rotting uselessly.

  8. #8

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    I think that 3 months RL time is enough

  9. #9

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    Valdemaros wrote:
    I think that 3 months RL time is enough
    I've found it way too much

  10. #10

    Re:Decaying Buildings and Structures

    Then divide it in two groups: mibilities and immobilities. First is lootable and decays faster, second is moving backwards the building process up to complete ruin or rubbish pile

Similar Threads

  1. A little insight and a personal confession
    By Virtus in forum Prelude Talk - General Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •