Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rare resources and inner/outer territories

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    "What I imagine is:
    - Tribes choosing to become warring on non-warring, not as an on / off switch but as a permanent or difficult to reverse decision, likely based on tribal actions.
    - Warring tribes would be able to conquer and raid others, but they will also become susceptible to war. Non warring tribes would keep their area safe, but don’t gain the ability to raid or conquer other tribes.
    - Both warring and non-warring tribes could claim resources that would be up for contest by both types of tribes.
    - Some expansion zones being open to more conquest without safe zones, while in others tribes would retain the choice to war or not."

---

The guy has lost it.
    At first on reading this I was like "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?! You can choose whether to be attacked or not? Everyone will live in the safe areas on always decline wars. Say goodbye to meaningful diplomacy or real wars." But the more I think about this idea, the more I like it. There is a very, simple solution that will drive the more powerful tribes out of the safe areas, and into the dangerous areas. Rare resources. Let me explain.

Inner Territories

What are the inner territories? Well, they are they entire current map. Within these territories homesteads provide a safe zone, and wars can be declined. There is still full loot PVP available off deed, basically, everything works as it currently works. The purpose of the inner territories it to provide an area that allows for new players to safely train, and gives pacifist clans a place to build, prosper, and not have to worry about their entire town being burned down around them by the "U Mad Bro?" tribe.

Outer Territories

This is all the expansion territory yet to be added. In these outer territories, homesteads no longer provide a safe zone, the no longer disallow encroachment the only thing a homestead provides is a spawn point and the ability to terraform, making them a good place to build your ultimate fortress, that give you a heavy advantage as a defender.

However the enemy just can't come in and burn your fort down around you at any given time of day. Otherwise everyone would log in each and every morning to find a pile of ashes that once was their fort. Tribes set a "siege time" this sets the time of day that their territory can be sieged, and this time can only be changed once every two weeks. An enemy tribe can then declare a siege on an enemy fortress that will "go live" at that clan's siege time an minimum of 24 hours after the siege is declared. This is to avoid American Cowboy Squad, from sieging the French Wine Drinker's Association during the hours when all the American are on, the French are off at work or in bed. etc. If you want to take someone's fort, you have to take it during their prime time.

When a siege goes live, all structures in the enemy fort can be destroyed, and if the enemies can hold position around the enemies totem for 10 minutes, the defender loses the siege and the attacker may either destroy the totem or convert it to their totem and the defender must wait six hours to place again. If they simply wish to bust down your walls and make off with your storage bins on their back though, they don't need to worry about totem control.

Rare Resources

So why would anyone live in the outer territories other than people who simply enjoy pain and suffering? Because ALL rare resources are found in the outer territories. What are rare resources? Well things like salt peter and sulfur for black powder used in primitive firearms and grenades. Rare plants used to make the most powerful healing agents. Coal for fueling furnaces and forging steel. Gold and gems used in adorning the most expensive armors, and items used in dye. The most dangerous animals in the game that yield some very unique and rewarding items when killed, or make insanely good pets when tamed. New scavenging items not found in the inner territories.

While some of these like the animals and foraging/scavenging items would be spread all throughout the outer territories just making them a better place in general to live, others like components for black powder, coal, gold, gems, etc. Would be found in rare deposits scattered throughout the outer territories. These rare deposits would give tribes a reason to fight over land. A location would not only be good because it has a good view, is close to water, or has flat, easily terraformed land that provides no natural cover for attackers, it might sit on a sulfur deposit with saltpeter nearby. Allowing the tribe who controls it to make black powder for muskets to either hoard or trade.

New Totem System

Finally with all of this, I think a new totem system would really lend itself to this idea. While the numbers are very changeable based on what people, especially the devs, feel is reasonable here is how it would work. Tribes, are no longer bound to their totems. While all members of a homestead belong to the same tribe, all members of a tribe do not need to belong to the same homestead.

However this does not mean a twenty man tribe can have twenty different totems. Each tribe has a main totem. This main totem must have at least ten members belonging to it at any given time, in order for the tribe to maintain additional totems. Each additional totem must have a minimum of five members at all times.

Why is this important? Well because it adds a new element of strategy to the outer territories and makes it so clans don't have to throw their fresh recruits straight into the outer territories.

I'll use my own tribe as an example. I'm running Great Legionnaires, and (in this scenario) we have about 24 members. Our main objective is to help and protect new players so we have our main totem, Fort Eldaria, smack dab in the middle of the inner territories. From here we can patrol the inner territories for griefers, help teach newbs the game, and give our new recruits a place to train up. But we love our guns. And living in the inner territories we have no access to gunpowder. However our allies the Honor Guard are maintaining a base on a salt peter deposit in the outer territories, and need some help defending this base, and could use someone to help protect the sulfur deposit across the river. So we split off five or six of our members from Fort Eldaria and form Fort Tharak. Fort Tharak defends the sulfur deposit and provides us with a base from where we can help assist our allies. With our allies help, we now have access to salt peter and sulfur, and can now fire more than caps from our guns, but we are STILL maintaining our base in the inner territories which is still safe from siege. We also still have enough members that when we take down the "U Mad Bro?" tribe in a siege, we could bind another 6 member to their totem and take over their fort with it's gold deposit.

Now I'm sure some people are thinking. Well if you can maintain an totem in the inner territories and the outer territories you'll just move all your resources from the outer territories into the inner territories as you build them up. Well yes, thats exactly what I would do. But that also means those resources are vulnerable to attack all the way up until we get them back to fort Eldaria, meaning you now have supply convoys to raid.

Conclusion

I realize this topic is very long so I think anyone who took the time to read it in it's entirety. I hope you can see how this idea would enliven this game and promote PVP, while keeping things easy enough on people to hopefully prevent some rage quits, and enhance the game for both new and old players.

Feel free to leave comments or suggestions.

I applaud you good sir.

Great Idea and you explained it very well

Yes, many have already discussed this sort of thing and it's the only way it will work. If safe tribes have direct access to "rare" resources, then the game is doomed. Problem is, Jordi seems to try to make everyone happy, and that's not a good thing.

Something similar to what OP described is what I'm kind of hoping will happen. I'll move to the new areas even though I'm a soloer, just to build and see how whatever I build will hold up to sieges.

I stopped reading it when you said you should set a siege time.

anything like that would be horrible- this is a sandbox game- it would make more sense to make it more realistic.

Structures can only be destroyed by siege equipment, seige equipment would be slow moving hit hard and easy to destroy. (if you can get in range to destroy it)

Also, siege equipment would need rare items to craft it so that you wouldn't bring it out unless you really need/want to do it and are ok with the high risk when using it.

You woudn't be able to destory a totem with siege equipment, unless it's an official siege that's been initiated by whatever means will control sieging.

You would be able to do asset damage at any time.

you kind of need the ability to set a seige time, lest the atttackers have the maximum advantage (laying seige in a window where the defenders aren't on to defend).

Quote Originally Posted by Dubanka View Post
    you kind of need the ability to set a seige time, lest the atttackers have the maximum advantage (laying seige in a window where the defenders aren't on to defend).
    it would be better to initiate the siege and then a 24 hour countdown timer starts when the siege starts, that way you have plenty of time to prepare.

But setting what period you can be sieged doesn't sound good to me.

Andius,

This is the best thread i have read to date very well explained and very well thought out, I like this Idea a lot and think it would work very well. I commend you for this thread, I got excited just reading it and then remembered it was not in game yet , I sure hope it makes it into game exactly as you have posted, Again well done mate.

And Thanks to JCatano for his original post

Good post, well thought out and written but I'm gonna say no. With all the effort we are putting into building our sandcastles atm since there isn't much else to do, how many tribes do you think are really going to want to up and move and build it all again so that they can do pvp/territory control/warfare?

Good post, well thought out and written but I'm gonna say no. With all the effort we are putting into building our sandcastles atm since there isn't much else to do, how many tribes do you think are really going to want to up and move and build it all again so that they can do pvp/territory control/warfare?
    Well I would have no problem in moving to outskirt areas to secure valuable resources and im sure i would not be the only one , He is not sugesting leaving what you have now just expanding to other areas as well.
    I'll use my own tribe as an example. I'm running Great Legionnaires, and (in this scenario) we have about 24 members. Our main objective is to help and protect new players so we have our main totem, Fort Eldaria, smack dab in the middle of the inner territories. From here we can patrol the inner territories for griefers, help teach newbs the game, and give our new recruits a place to train up. But we love our guns. And living in the inner territories we have no access to gunpowder. However our allies the Honor Guard are maintaining a base on a salt peter deposit in the outer territories, and need some help defending this base, and could use someone to help protect the sulfur deposit across the river. So we split off five or six of our members from Fort Eldaria and form Fort Tharak. Fort Tharak defends the sulfur deposit and provides us with a base from where we can help assist our allies. With our allies help, we now have access to salt peter and sulfur, and can now fire more than caps from our guns, but we are STILL maintaining our base in the inner territories which is still safe from siege. We also still have enough members that when we take down the "U Mad Bro?" tribe in a siege, we could bind another 6 member to their totem and take over their fort with it's gold deposit.
    Maybe read it again .