Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hiding

Hiding

Besides the whole philosophy behind Xsyon, there hasn't been much for me to praise. Lately I've been pretty discouraged about the whole ordeal because it's a broken, buggy pile of expletives. So I thinks to myself, I thinks "Hey, why don't I think about something good in this game?"

Well, personally, I hate hiding and stealth in MMOs. It's stupid most of the time because you just "go invisible" and need to be detected before you can take damage. So goofy, so obnoxious, and so utterly impossible to balance in a real PvP setting.

But this game's stealth (hiding) just plain kicks ass. The only other game that had cool stealth, that I can recall, was Planetside... and Xsyon has that beat. With high hiding, you pretty much turn into a Predator. It's so cool. You're not invisible, but you make no noise and are extremely difficult to spot. With personal skill, aided by the hiding skill, it's easy to sneak up right on top of people using shadows to your advantage.

Anyway, I'm impressed. Just thought I'd point out the one bitchin' feature of Xsyon I've found so far, and at least have something to congratulate that Jordi fellow for amid all the ridiculous problems the game's got goin' on.

+1 good post.

I personally hate the hide skill, conceptually, but this post makes me think I should open my mind about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    +1 good post.

I personally hate the hide skill, conceptually, but this post makes me think I should open my mind about it.
    It's unique, so I suppose there's going to be a lot of conflicting opinions about it. For instance, hiding is probably the thing that annoys me the most out of every feature in practically every MMO. I despise it, really. But I love it in Xsyon, so that's a fairly substantial statement. I'm still not making a stealth character, and never have, because the whole playstyle of stealth pisses me off so damn much... but nonetheless, this is a hide skill I love to see in practice. You have to suspend disbelief for it far less than the "lol invisibility" shit most games do, and frankly it's pretty cool to see a group of Predators stalking around the woods even if it doesn't fit the whole "realism" thing.

That's assuming your prey has shadows enabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanover View Post
    That's assuming your prey has shadows enabled.
    pfft, sure sure. if you walk through the center of shadows you're basically invisible, but otherwise shadows are really a liability for sneaking since you occlude them (in true predator fashion) and get your ass seen. so if they have shadows off, it's probably better in the majority of situations. plus, spotting a hider's shadow is like the only way to reliably track him.

I would really like it if not everyone could use it...

Quote Originally Posted by Niburu View Post
    I would really like it if not everyone could use it...
    What kind of restriction are you looking for? Dexterity-based skill cap or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    hiding is probably the thing that annoys me the most out of every feature in practically every MMO.
    Ya I agree 100% and this is what got me on board with your original post, so then when you said you like it I was like whoa... maybe I shoudl rethink this. Although I thought it was lolinvisible at high level?

Quote Originally Posted by jumpshot View Post
    Ya I agree 100% and this is what got me on board with your original post, so then when you said you like it I was like whoa... maybe I shoudl rethink this. Although I thought it was lolinvisible at high level?
    I have 10 perception, and my friends with 100 hiding aren't "lol invisible" to me. They're damn hard to see for me, but if you're actually paying a lot of attention you'll see them. If you're not, well, they're visible but you won't notice them at all. I can spot their shadows, I can see them when they walk in front of something that reflects light (because the light distorts around their opaque models), and I can see when their model occludes and "object" like tents, walls, etcetera. I can also see them when I'm looking right at them in the open, but just baaarely.

Quote Originally Posted by Surly View Post
    I have 10 perception, and my friends with 100 hiding aren't "lol invisible" to me. They're damn hard to see for me, but if you're actually paying a lot of attention you'll see them. If you're not, well, they're visible but you won't notice them at all. I can spot their shadows, I can see them when they walk in front of something that reflects light (because the light distorts around their opaque models), and I can see when their model occludes and "object" like tents, walls, etcetera. I can also see them when I'm looking right at them in the open, but just baaarely.
    this is VERY good news...

Maybe they changed it since beta. People had said during beta that hide at 100 was 100% gone, but the partial occlusion is always the better idea than the *ninja vanish* type.

If they added the effect of colors on clothes or clothe type/armor type to the mix that would be interesting as well.