Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
mrcalhou somewhere suggested this system, he wanted the split the map like 60% PvP zone, 40% safe zone. I'd prefer 50%-50%, its more fair :P
Trench is just one of those people that thinks a game MUST have ffa-pvp everywhere or it breaks the game. I'd like to cite Darkfall as a reason why ffa-pvp everywhere is a bad idea. I'd like to cite Eve-online as a reason why having such severe consequences for attempting to PvP in the designated safe areas is a good idea.

When you have ffa-pvp everywhere then people aren't even going to give the game a second glance. When you give players the option of choosing where they want to play at, and especially when you give the players the option to continually choose this without having to completely start over, then you open your game up to a lot more people.

I see it a lot on game forums. People don't like to play MMOs that have low populations, so they don't play, so the population never increases, so fewer people play. Does anyone else see the catch-22?

Now giving players a toggle that they can turn on or off anywhere is a bad design decision because it leads to so many possible abuses. Like plopping a safe zone over a super-rare resource. Grant it we don't have any of that in the game yet--the game is just one giant homogenous mass of resources, which is another problem in itself. Oh, and as I've predicted would happen many moons ago, there's an overabundance of crafted goods.

Honestly, I'm just tired of developers copying all the bad ideas from other games and leaving the good ones behind. Having ffa-pvp everywhere, the same resources everywhere, the same stats on crafted goods, and extremely resilient items doesn't make a game more balanced or realistic. It just makes it boring and stagnate.