Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by scambammer View Post
    I like this feature.....smart people learn the navigation system while 'mmo vets' used to following their arrows, beacons, icons on minimaps, hitting 'follow' and lettting your friend run, clicking highlighted npc name and letting your toon autorun all the way there, all end up lost in the woods like a bunch of nubs..

I find it ironic that I've been my tribe's scout/scavenger/trader/diplomat (so I'm rarely at my camp)I know my neighborhood w/out even looking at the co-ords....while forum posters w/ a 1 year under their belt that do nothing but grind in their safe zone try to run to my camp, in what would take me 10 min, and end up getting lost for 3 hrs due to the 'darn no map or compass bs'.....it makes me LOL!!

your post makes me laugh, no one at all said the current system of navigation was hard, yet you are so self involved you see this as an opportunity to assert your smartness on us, /golfclap If you are gonna post in a thread at least read it so you dont look like a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    They also need to make it so that the cloud direction is constantly changing. The way it is now is completely unrealistic.
    Not really, it's a rare wind where I live that doesn't blow from southwest to northeast.

I'm also the most directionally challenged person I've ever met, and I still manage to find my homestead after a moderate amount of wandering around lost. So while cartography would be a fun skill, especially for someone like me, who goes exploring a lot, I can live without it.

Xsyon Citizen
    Like everyone else posting on this subject, I am capable of navigating using the current crap system. I'm not sure why people keep feeling the need to let everyone know that they are capable of navigating using the current crap system. It should be painfully obvious that that's not what this post is about.

Regardless: the wind does not blow in "true compass directions", nor does it uniformly blow in the same direction all the time. The idea that the wind constantly and unchangingly blows true north is extremely unrealistic. And even THIS is irrelevant to the post topic, which, as you should be able to tell by reading the title, is that it's stupid that there's no compass or map in a game that has GPS geolocation ability, with accuracy down to the hundredth of a meter.

Quote Originally Posted by santoclawz View Post
    your post makes me laugh, no one at all said the current system of navigation was hard.....
    It is very easy to read between the lines of this thread....why else would people ask for navigation system change if for no other reason than 'ease of use'?....

You don't have to physically say 'This navigation system is hard to use and I needlessly get lost.' for it to be inferred in reading this thread.....

If the navigation system wasn't a problem then why even write this thread?.....so give me a break and learn to take meaning from what you read.

Xsyon Citizen
    tedious != challenging

Nobody finds it hard. They find it pointlessly annoying.

The interface could require you to hit two keys in rhythmic sequence in order to walk forward, for the sake of "realism", but that would be silly too.

Ok, the obvious things:
    1) introduce a map skill called mapmaking, higher skill means better maps
    2) introduce all the necessary items: maps, skiill books, etc
    3) introduce a compass-making craft, along with the books, mats, etc
    4) maps have to be renewed to be updated. They won't show new stuff like terraforming unless you survey again.
    5) remove coords system
    6) make clouds change direction randomly, or with storms and fronts

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
    This is really quite a pointless response to OP's correct observation. There are coords, thus there should be a compass pointer. It's just a matter of basic convenience and not forcing players to do stupid tricks just to play the game.

Further, we both know the game would be pretty stupid without any coords at all. The devs might as well force players to type their chat in hexadecimal, or just eliminate all in-game communication entirely.
    He said "It boggled his mine how come characters know exact coords"...

I said that previously the coords weren't going to even be there until people didn't like that (for obvious reasons).

Then I said the devs want to change it... in other words the coords right now are a placeholder, which is a change that is probably very very low on priority.

Don't know why you think what I said was pointless.

What's that you say? Immersion ruined by coordinate system?

How about the 9-zone general chat while we are pointing out problems with immersion.