Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 47
  1. #1

    What I think this game needs for longevitity.

    They need to add things to the game to make it less stagnate. Creatures, "dungeons," content, etcetera.

    They also need to add abilities and make crafting more differentiated. Eve's crafting works fine because there are a ton of skills and the real-time progression makes it so that there's enough different specialities that it's likely that you won't be able to get everything from someone in your corp and either you'd need to fill that gap yourself or find someone outside your regular group to buy from.

    Right now Xsyon, just like Darkfall before it, is too limited in terms of what players can do, what players can create, and most importantly how much players actually impact the game world.

    After they get the technical problems ironed out, they need to implement severe item decay or even item destruction upon death. An MMO economy revolves solely around consumables. Then they need to implement weapon abilities, armor abilities, harvesting abilities, and crafting abilities. They need to branch out each of the skill sets into sub-skills and sub-sub skills and possibly even have abilities take from the skill point pool--all in a bid to encourage specialization.

    Since this game doesn't have a time-based progression system to control character expansion, they need to find another method to artificially control skill point acquistion. The current click-wait system encourages macroing (I don't care that macroing is "against the rules" when the game makes it too easy to do so). It's a design flaw and a cop-out, and that needs to be changed, which is why I suggested crafting and harvesting abilities as well.

    They also need to add regional resources quickly. The fact that everything is made from either junk piles or trees is just another cop out. I don't give a flying damn about realism in a game if it's going to make the game boring and stagnate.

  2. #2
    i pretty much agree, i got 2 friends to play and they dont log in at all now, not since like day 3, why? they experienced it all. i still try to log in as much as i can and work on my overly ambitious homestead but its such a chore, also what happens when im done building the damn thing...

  3. #3
    I would definitely appreciate some explorable caves with wolves and bears. =]

  4. #4
    I demand a zombie horde. With zombie racoons XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #5
    I want to be able to tame said zombie horde.

  6. #6
    This is a sandbox, most of your ideas would be great for a themepark style game
    --~@ SONNE @~--~@ Treebeard @~--

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by cbowsin View Post
    This is a sandbox, most of your ideas would be great for a themepark style game
    Umm... I'm seriously confused as to how you were able to come to that conclusion based on my post, especially when the two games I mentioned were "Eve" and "Darkfall."

    I also never mentioned that content should be limited based on some arbitrary number or that the only progression should be storyline missions that lead you from hub to hub. There just needs to be things to do. Ideally the game would be "end-game" as soon as you log-in from character creation.

    If by sandbox you mean "this game is the same everywhere so when you see one thing you've seen it all" or "harvesting and crafting are the same, boring, macro-friendly click and then wait for a bar to fill so you can click again systems that "sandbox" games have relied upon for over a decade" or "we're not going to give you anything to do in the game besides build stuff that's useless until you have so much of it that you just throw it away so you can build more stuff that you will just throw away" then, yeah, I'll agree with you because we all know that sandbox means having everything equal for everyone at all times.

    I honestly prefer Eve's definition of a sandbox as an "emergent game-play" game; where the players' CHOICES define the game, not the lack of content or the lack of penalties or the lack of substance.

    Right now we just have a skeleton of a game, and for the time being that's fine. For the long-term it won't work. I've been through games. Many games. I know what works. I know what doesn't work. I've watched games falter for not working. I've watched players leave games because they got bored with lack of meaningful content, and the lack of balance.

  8. #8
    I should fear some type of monster in this game besides just gank happy players

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by cbowsin View Post
    This is a sandbox, most of your ideas would be great for a themepark style game
    elaborate please

  10. #10
    WoW, really, ok ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    They need to add things to the game to make it less stagnate. Creatures, "dungeons," content, etcetera.
    Themepark. Dungeons are themepark content. Sure there can be dungeons in sandbox but to be a sandbox no dungeon can reward higher than other dungeons, they need to be lateral expansions. So they add a dungeon that gives you a +5 mace. A year later they add a new dungeon that rewards a +5 sword. Now you are all upset because the only difference between the +5 mace and the +5 sword is the graphic. So you want the new dungeon to offer a +10 sword. Now you don't want newbs starting fresh to have access to the +10 sword cause you spent 3 months trying to get the +5 mace, so you insist that players get the +5 mace before getting the +10 sword so it can be fair for the time you put into it and eventually you get WoW style raiding. hence themepark

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    They also need to add abilities and make crafting more differentiated. Eve's crafting works fine because there are a ton of skills and the real-time progression makes it so that there's enough different specialities that it's likely that you won't be able to get everything from someone in your corp and either you'd need to fill that gap yourself or find someone outside your regular group to buy from.
    Themepark. This game already does what you essentially want. I can be toolcraft 80 and some newb can load in and he can have a foragers bucket where I have yet discovered that recipe. That is pretty differentiated. However obviously you are not pleased with thus otherwise you would not have suggested this, so I can only assume you want some kind of ladder progression in tradeskills, enough to make everyone unique. As we all know, ladder progression is themepark, so you want a themepark skill progression.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Right now Xsyon, just like Darkfall before it, is too limited in terms of what players can do, what players can create, and most importantly how much players actually impact the game world.
    Never played Darkfall so here I can only assume you are correct in your analysis. However the limitedness of this game is not because of what players can and cannot do, but based on many 'features' have not been turned on yet. However, since I can create a homestead, dig a hole, abandon tribe and every other player in the game can stumble upon my hole I would say players have a big impact in the world.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    After they get the technical problems ironed out, they need to implement severe item decay or even item destruction upon death. An MMO economy revolves solely around consumables. Then they need to implement weapon abilities, armor abilities, harvesting abilities, and crafting abilities. They need to branch out each of the skill sets into sub-skills and sub-sub skills and possibly even have abilities take from the skill point pool--all in a bid to encourage specialization.
    An MMO economy revolves around supply and demand. Right now since very few things are in-game there is very little demand for anything.

    Sub-skills and sub-sub-skills are all ladder progression and ladder progression is themepark. If you want to come into the game world cooking and do nothing but that, you do not need to master foraging and fishing to do so, you can just cook To have what you have requires a list of things that need to be accomplished and that is themepark. Where you need to do A and then B before you can do C. A Sandbox is if you want to do just C, then do just C.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    Since this game doesn't have a time-based progression system to control character expansion, they need to find another method to artificially control skill point acquistion. The current click-wait system encourages macroing (I don't care that macroing is "against the rules" when the game makes it too easy to do so). It's a design flaw and a cop-out, and that needs to be changed, which is why I suggested crafting and harvesting abilities as well.
    I read this as, since there isn't ladder progression aka themepark, the game encourages macroing. Which is untrue. Regardless if the game is sandbox or themepark, people will find a way to gain an advantage if one is available. What you are trying to do is say that since one thing exists, a themepark model is better to prevent this problem, when in fact it does not as it also currently exists in many MMO themeparks. This portion does not create a solution to the 'problem' you just spin it to make it sound like your idea will resolve the issue, which from evidence of many themepark mmos, it does not.

    Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    They also need to add regional resources quickly. The fact that everything is made from either junk piles or trees is just another cop out. I don't give a flying damn about realism in a game if it's going to make the game boring and stagnate.
    This is the irony of the whole post. You say "characters are too limited in how much players actually impact the game world.", "They need to add things to the game to make it less stagnate", and "An MMO economy revolves solely around consumables." but then go on saying they need to add resources quickly? Well which is it? If a player chops down a tree near your homestead then obviously you want that tree to grow back quickly so you can use that resource, which I assume is what you mean in this portion of the topic. A lot like frequent respawns in themepark mmos. Yet because this player chopped down a tree you need it is apparent that players do have a big impact on the game world. Because now that you have to wait weeks for that tree to respawn the game world is much less stagnate. Now you have to trade with that same player who cut down your tree to get the resources you need creates a demand for something in which he can supply, you ask for quick resources as they provide in theme park mmos.

    Back to what I said. You are looking for the things that are provided in a themepark mmo, when this is a sandbox.
    --~@ SONNE @~--~@ Treebeard @~--

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •