Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Character Creation

Well, I finally got to the character creation screen. Unfortunately, it appears that the server was taken down while I was still creating my character so I have yet to even make it into the game.

Here are my impressions concerning character creation:

1) Why the use of right/left arrows for choosing settings? Yes, those are good to have so that you can step through choices, but they are not a replacement for combo boxes so that you can quickly jump to a specific choice or see all the choices available to you.

2) Why no descriptive text? For example, there are something like eight separate stats to choose from, but no information whatsoever to help you make good choices for what your desired play style might be. Same goes for the skill choices -- you're forced to make these decisions at character creation with only a name to go on for any insight into how that choice will affect your character once in the game.

The bottom line is that it's impossible to create your first character without the niggling feeling that you're gimping yourself from the outset. This is something that will drive people away from the game before they've even gotten started.

3) The character creation interface itself looks like something from about 10 years ago. It's completely utilitarian, but there's no polish or style to it. This is yet another thing that can turn people off before they even begin because it gives the impression of an amateurish product. Remember that first impressions are critical. No, this won't by itself break the game because favorable word of mouth can overcome the issue. But if the very first thing you do in the game looks and feels clunky it doesn't set a very good tone for what follows.

Re:Character Creation

i think there more important things to worry about than this atm like server stability and the actuall game

Weeks wrote:
    i think there more important things to worry about than this atm like server stability and the actuall game
    This

I took my time writing so other people basically said what I did

2.) To me they are pretty self explanatory

Strength: you are stronger harder attacking and carry more weight

Agility: self explainitory, how quick you can move

Dexterity: how long you can endure something

Faith: Will prob have more of an affect once religion comes in

Intelligence: Better chance of thinking of a new idea of how to make something

Perception: How you perceive things, what you can see (the higher this is the better chances of seeing something that is using the hiding skill)

Charisma: How you interact with people or things.

This is not official word but what I believe based one the meanings of these words

3.) If someone judges a game based on character creation I think there is something wrong with them. But also don't forget character creation look isn't exactly as important as getting crafting working properly or fixing server bugs so...

People wont leave after seeing char creator, because to see it they need already to pay for month or two lol :P

I think char creator arrows are not so important - you will do it only once, or maybe 2 times and wont see the screen any more.

Selecting stats are a bit more difficult - theres no description, and not too much info on forum, so its very difficult to create character. There should be at least some pre made stat schemes like "Crafter", "Axeman" or "Merchant" etc, cause even with knowing translations and meaning of words it doesnt need to mean same in game.

For example a smith - in real life he dont need to be too inteligent. It should be rather strong and endurable. In game you probably need inteligence to learn how to make stuff, but how it should be set ? all to int ? maybe same int as strenght ? there are many questions, and if not in game, there should be some info how those stats works on forum or better at website.

Virtus wrote:
    I took my time writing so other people basically said what I did

2.) To me they are pretty self explanatory

Strength: you are stronger harder attacking and carry more weight

Agility: self explainitory, how quick you can move

Dexterity: how long you can endure something

Faith: Will prob have more of an affect once religion comes in

Intelligence: Better chance of thinking of a new idea of how to make something

Perception: How you perceive things, what you can see (the higher this is the better chances of seeing something that is using the hiding skill)

Charisma: How you interact with people or things.

This is not official word but what I believe based one the meanings of these words

3.) If someone judges a game based on character creation I think there is something wrong with them. But also don't forget character creation look isn't exactly as important as getting crafting working properly or fixing server bugs so...
    Here's the problem though

Strength: Your physical strength is generally going to be a good indicator of how much punishment you can take - is this the case in Xsyon, or is it limited just to melee damage and carrying capacity?

Agility/Dexterity: Agility and Dexterity are basically synonyms. They are both overall measures of coordination. If you want a measurement of speed/acceleration, a better statistic name might be fleetness. Dexterity has nothing to do with how long you can endure something. I'm hoping you actually meant that to be Constitution.

Faith: I mostly agree that this is self explanatory, but a description of what skills it might effect would be nice. Will faith only affect priests/spells, or will it affect everyone and every skill?

Intelligence/perception/Charisma: All three of these stats are terribly intertwined in real life, unless you mean Charisma to be physical beauty, in which case you might call it Appearance or Comeliness?

*edit add*

I do not think it is appropriate to say exactly what every stat does, but a better description of stats would certainly allow people to more accurately design a character for what they want their playstyle to be.

As the lead designer of this game I think Jordi would welcome first impressions of things as posted by Auricle. Designers of anything become too close to it and are unable to see it as a newbie. While many things need to be balanced in design one of those things are newbie first reactions.

I also get confused between dexterity and agility. The game will probably need a respec option eventually or treat these core traits similar to stats that change according to character use. Start every character off with equal trait levels then if some go up then others go down.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

Virtus, you actually proved my point and others have since alluded to that.

This is from Dictionary.com:

dex·ter·i·ty? ?[dek-ster-i-tee] Show IPA
    –noun
    skill or adroitness in using the hands or body; agility.
    mental adroitness or skill; cleverness.
    As you can see, the definition of "dexterity" uses the word "agility". Assuming that dexterity is being used in the most common, physical sense then dexterity and agility are the same thing. So how does each actually impact your character.

And regarding "faith" you actually said "will probably" -- you had to guess.

Perception: Does it only apply to detecting stealth? Or does it also affect crafting? Or harvesting? And if it does affect either, is it more important for one profession than another?

There is nothing I hate more in a game than starting out on a series of assumptions, only to discover hours in that I'd basically screwed up. I then have to continue with a gimped character or start over from scratch and lose all my time invested so far (and repeat content). I know I'm not alone in that.

Obviously game play is the most important thing. I'd love to be able to give feedback on play, but I haven't even been able to get into the freaking game yet. So I'm giving feedback on what I can. And as Oakstead pointed out, these sorts of things are what developers want to know. Is it something they need to tackle immediately? The cosmetic stuff, not so much but I'd say that getting more info out about what any of these things mean or affect should be a pretty high priority. Certainly not as high as getting the login and server stability issues fixed, but very important.

And remember: We're being let into the game in its current state with instructions that not all features are in yet (and in fact a lot has been turned off), but we're supposed to give feedback on what IS there. Well, character creation is one of the things that's in, and so I'm giving feedback on it.

Please delete. The forum software is messing up and I wound up getting duplicate posts.

Please delete. The forum software is messing up and I wound up getting duplicate posts.