Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    I would rather just see a 5-10 minute timer on all items left outside of a tribe zone deleted. You may not see it as a problem now, but in the future item count is going to kill the stability of any game.

There's no reason to allow 10k bags and bins left scattered around the world, locked or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Having locked bins can't really be called a compromise, since its a promised game feature. You bought the game by knowing that. The Feature page says 'Player owned protected storage.' This was one of the main reason I bought the game together with 'Player owned protected housing.'. I am willing to compromise with a timer on bins outside of tribal areas to make the game more interesting for you and others and to avoid mess on the ground.
    I would argue that outside of your housing or tribal land a bin is no longer owned by anyone and isn't intended to be player protected.... it is has been abandoned.

You suggested lock picking and I agree it would be a good compromise..I wouldn't think it should be used inside of tribal areas... only out in the wild if it were to be implemented. A random "stealing skill " might could be done inside someone tribal area... it would have to be totally random without sight as to what the contents are in the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by NexAnima View Post
    I would rather just see a 5-10 minute timer on all items left outside of a tribe zone deleted. You may not see it as a problem now, but in the future item count is going to kill the stability of any game.

There's no reason to allow 10k bags and bins left scattered around the world, locked or not...
    Item decay for bins not protected by shelter are the reason for this, if it was turned on all those bins would go poof after a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Until I have good mechanism protecting my property you should not have a good mechanism of stealing my stuff without any punishment.
    Homesteads.

There, you already have a good mechanism for protecting your property. Now go away you boring little troll.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Having locked bins can't really be called a compromise, since its a promised game feature. You bought the game by knowing that. The Feature page says 'Player owned protected storage.' This was one of the main reason I bought the game together with 'Player owned protected housing.'. I am willing to compromise with a timer on bins outside of tribal areas to make the game more interesting for you and others and to avoid mess on the ground.
    A timer on bins outside tribe land, like you suggested, is a good compromise in my opinion. So would lockpicking/locking, but this latter idea will take way too long to implement like coca said, and we need a solution now, not in 6 months when this game is even more of a desert than it already is.

Right now it seems like a "timer-until-public" mechanism is the best compromise that can be made that is still simple enough that we can hope for it to be implemented sooner rather than later.

I started playing this past weekend, and i have to say i am shocked to find out i can simply place a bag on the floor full of stuff and people cant actually take it.. Ive been running back and forth to my homestead, and making sure if i got something of value (or what i considered valuable) to return fast to my homestead and get it to safety...

I thought this game would be like felluca in Ultima Online, if you die outside a safe area, anything on you can be taken, and your homestead/tribe area you would be in trammel, ie safe..

Then not only can you place bags on the floor, you can throw your packpack on the floor during combat making it safe? Or is the bag safe even if u die with it on? I can already see people putting their weapons/armor into these bags when they see theyre going to die..

When i set my homestead and started going out in search for materials for crafting, i kept watching over my shoulder constantly, always ready to fight back (or most likely in my early stage, to make a run for it), now i see that theres no point to that, just let them kill me, they get nothing because its all in my backpack which they cant take if i drop... What do you know the pvp aspect just became even worse.. theres little to no benefit to it, other than to have fun. To have said fun you have to have people to fight against, if crafters can be just that, crafters, and have no need to defend themselves... no comment.. Im not really looking to become a "ganker" praying on the weak.. (for starters im the one thats weak atm) but i did hope for a challenge like in uo... i remember the days where crafters had to be able to defend themselves...

Ive read the 9 pages of this thread, and theres only really 1 person who is completely opposed to "public bags" outside of a safe zone...? and the person i have in mind has not mentioned a single viable or reasonable reason why this should stay as it is. Only "Book" has mentioned what i would consider actual reasons to not change the private bags issue (tho from what i understood he was neither for or against).
    As has been mentioned atm, theres is no risk involved at all, since you can just run around naked while crafting, you dont even have to equip anything.. There arnt even any animals around atm to at least force u to carry a weapon to defend yourself against them..

Id sugest bags being set to public by default to avoid ppl droping their backpacks during combat to not get looted, a short timer for bags placed on the floor outside of your safe area.. and possibly a longer timer for bags placed within your homestead/tribe when the tribe is disbanded. What i mean is if i have a bunch of bags in my homestead and i want to move, let me place a new totem and give me a couple hours to move my stuff over, i guess a max amount of totems or tribe hops per certain amount of time would be required to avoid abuse, eg i leave tribe, setup homestead by the resource i want to be able to place private bags within it, disband when i finish and join my tribe again...

So atm, i consider myself to be a crafter, however without the risk of being killed and loosing everything i have with me, i find this is totally boring there was more risk in mining/herbing in wow, thats just sad.. (pvp server, getting attacked by opposing faction and somehow getting last hit by an npc which u had accidentally hit using aoe... yea fat chance but still seems riskier, or simply being corpse camped..), lets see which fanboi comes to tell me to go back to wow due to this comment, i can venture a guess following this threads pattern but i rather not be too rude.

If theres going to be no risk at all, removing practically any possible gain from pvp i dont think this will be the game for me... i understand they need to implement the whole good/bad system thing? i assume this is a sort of red/blue system like they had in uo? (the only downside to being a red was not being able to access towns, however u were not limited to one single character, which i believe is another flaw in this game imo, i wanted to have a good and an evil character.. oh well) I heard something about refunds?

Anyway thats just my opinion...

TLDR : In favor (putting it lightly) of public bags outside homestead/tribe areas (not to mention fully lootable corpses outside safe areas) and private bags within safe areas..

Just note that they are not safe, they are sorta safe.

Someone can come along and drop a totem near your bins/bags/baskets and take the whole thing, even if they are set to private. Just FYI.

Having said that, they shouldnt be safe IMO as I have said before. Im with you on the UO fel issue.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Just note that they are not safe, they are sorta safe.

Someone can come along and drop a totem near your bins/bags/baskets and take the whole thing, even if they are set to private. Just FYI.

Having said that, they shouldnt be safe IMO as I have said before. Im with you on the UO fel issue.
    I know this, and i've done it, but we shouldn't have to respond to one broken game mechanic by using another broken game mechanic to get around it, thats just.... retarded.

I totally agree with kaskas, and find myself in the exact same situation. However I am in favour of the limit of one character pr. account, but that is another issue.

I am mainly a crafter, and I am not planning to jump on peeps in the woods. But I find that the risk of beeing jumped is what makes the game exciting. I bought this game because it seemed to be 'FFA Full Loot PvP'. I'm not saying that devs have stated that, that is just what I thought. It would seem to me that people hiding all their stuff in 'private' bags and dropping them when attacked, is not 'full loot', and it at least feels like an exploit.
    I am also in favour of the "no private bins outside homesteads". I understand that it is inconvenient for crafters such as myself, but once again it just feels like cheating to me.
    As I am a crafter I am in luck. I simply choose not to pack my stuff in a private bag, and I do not put down private containers outside my homestead. That way I am still at risk. But with the current rules the PvP'ers have no real incentive to attack me, so alas I am de facto more or less safe from attack.

To sum up: With my first post on this forum I vote for no private containers outside homesteads.

Regards,
    Lenny

PS: I need to say though - I am absolutely loving this game so far! Cant wait to see more features implemented.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    Homesteads.

There, you already have a good mechanism for protecting your property. Now go away you boring little troll.
    Acctually it is you who is trolling to get changes implemented that less then 20% of the population wants. Troll harder, maybe they will listen. Cry them a river and maybe you can flood them with your tears enough to get few public bins so you can feel big while stealing stuff.

In my latest post to virtus concerning these issues I decided to go to the update pages and list all the official updates and stances on private bag to indeeed show you the intentions of bins and privlages. Please take a look. I think Plague and Xerbi might be surprised.

http://www.xsyon.com/forum/showthrea...nce-about-bins