Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why such poor marketing?

I was stunned after reading of all the endless features the game will consist of. I definitely felt that when implemented correctly, this could be the perfect game for mature players with an interest for complicated social interaction.

When reading the discussions concerning this game, you definitely notice the boiling of anticipation and anxiety. However I found the game by complete chance on a random forum from a random guy. So here is my question: why the heck has the marketing been so abysmal? For the majority, this game is still in the shadows despite it's soon release. For me, this is a dangerous indication of potential bad qualities of the game.

What do you think? :blink:
    "If there was a little more light and truth in the world through one human being, his life has had meaning." - Alfred Delp

Re:Why such poor marketing?

They do not want to publicize it right now. Its a small dev team and they are working with a small group of testers right now to get things running smoothly. They don't want a large following.

Alfred wrote:
    I was stunned after reading of all the endless features the game will consist of. I definitely felt that when implemented correctly, this could be the perfect game for mature players with an interest for complicated social interaction.

When reading the discussions concerning this game, you definitely notice the boiling of anticipation and anxiety. However I found the game by complete chance on a random forum from a random guy. So here is my question: why the heck has the marketing been so abysmal? For the majority, this game is still in the shadows despite it's soon release. For me, this is a dangerous indication of potential bad qualities of the game.

What do you think? :blink:
    Their vision is to start very small, not hype it up like other games. Mainly to get a small niche of people that will follow the game for a long time, even if it has many bugs. The other games that come to mind (i.e. Darkfall and Mortal Online) hyped up their games like crazy, releasing epic trailer videos, yet the actual game play of the game was bugged to hell. If the game play here is bad, it should get fixed better with a smaller group of people.

Hype it up like crazy, saying how epic it is, when its all a lie. Or release with a small amount of people to get the game built up with niche players.

Also, marketing costs.
    If this game is really what it says to be, the word will spread through forums like wildfire and there will be no need for marketing.

The options are indeed extreme with no middle ground. It will be a great boom or a great flop... but surely it is very unconventional.

Alfred wrote:
    [...]why the heck has the marketing been so abysmal? For the majority, this game is still in the shadows despite it's soon release. For me, this is a dangerous indication of potential bad qualities of the game.[...]
    Why market something before you are certain it will sell? You typically only get one chance to please a potential customer, so why not test the game out on those who actively seek out a game like Xsyon before trying to draw in the rest? The majority of the revenue for an MMO comes from retaining subscribers after all, so getting a lot of players right from the start is only a good thing if the game shows itself from its best side on launch day (and the following month). That's rarely the case with any MMO. Besides, marketing (at least with a limited budget) is most effective if it can be backed up by word of mouth. That's not really possible until after the game has launched.

Thank you for the answers; they seem quite reasonable. Especially this one:

inferno3387 wrote:
    Their vision is to start very small, not hype it up like other games. Mainly to get a small niche of people that will follow the game for a long time, even if it has many bugs. The other games that come to mind (i.e. Darkfall and Mortal Online) hyped up their games like crazy, releasing epic trailer videos, yet the actual game play of the game was bugged to hell. If the game play here is bad, it should get fixed better with a smaller group of people.

Hype it up like crazy, saying how epic it is, when its all a lie. Or release with a small amount of people to get the game built up with niche players.
    "If there was a little more light and truth in the world through one human being, his life has had meaning." - Alfred Delp

You never get a second chance at a good first impression. There are other game companies that have taken this route before. CCP Studios is a prime example. EVE Online went from being a community like this and slowly made its way up. Now it has over 50000 active subscribers, all of which play on ONE single server. (Thats in the Guiness Book of World Records, mind you. )

Xsyon going the "Safe" route, already shows me that they are more competent and responsible as a game company, by not dooming themselves by selling an unfinished product. I expect there will be many bugs by the actual release, but Notorious Games, is atleast doing a good job of keeping it within a small base of testers and gradually working to improve the game and make fixes between now and then. Much better than selling a lie, and giving the community the worst first impression an MMO company can give.

That is a big sig GaelicWarlord. :laugh:
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

Largion wrote:
    Go big, or go home. :lol:

GaelicWarlord wrote:
    Largion wrote:
    Go big, or go home. :lol:
    Its not the size but what you do with it.

Or thats what I have been told. :blush:
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]