Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions about Terraforming

Heya,

I have seen several videos about Terraforming and I am wondering

how this works technically: Most MMOs you a client based world. Basically loading everything from the client and only the dynamic objects from the world. UO Players who worked with SPHERE will probably know the client world as "static" which had to be downloaded. The only game which streams the world "live" is Horizon as far as I know. The Data Transfer is much higher of course (and not playable on 64k anymore)

how this works regarding to right management: Can you only be done on your own territory or everywhere? What stops players from turning the whole world into an ocean? Or is managed socially? For example that you just kill everyone that wants to do terraforming on "your" land?

Re: Questions about Terraforming

Second Life does also stream data life and YouTube surely streams far more data than any MMO. The problem is bound to response times but QoS (Quality of Service) is a mechanism of IP packets that allows to throttle traffic so that small interactive packets are zappy while bulk data is streamed in the background.

If XP leverages these networking techiniques terraforming will be no problem.

From the social/shared world point of view I can't say. But I guess you would need a lot of people to put a whole isle below the sea

It's a nice idea to "carve out" your own isle from the mainland.

Re: Questions about Terraforming

I never really thought about this, but its a good point you bring up. I'd imagine it'd work not to much differently than recording character stats. One character sends information to that server, and then that information is recorded until it is overwritten? I'm no tech guy, so I couldn't explain this, and don't even know how it works, but I'm interested in hearing more about this.

Re:Questions about Terraforming

Seeing as how the download is supposedly near 4gb i can almost guarantee you that the land is client side. I assume that terraforming is just like building or crafting anything, the player does it, it gets uploaded to the server, and then beamed down to each client.

White Goblin wrote:
    Seeing as how the download is supposedly near 4gb i can almost guarantee you that the land is client side. I assume that terraforming is just like building or crafting anything, the player does it, it gets uploaded to the server, and then beamed down to each client.
    And 4gb is the beta clinet right?

What are the system requirements?
    Windows (XP, Vista, Windows 7)
    Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz (or similar)
    RAM: 2GB
    Video: 512 MB Video supporting Pixel Shader 2.0
    Hard Drive: 10 GB
    Of course we recommend the best system possible!
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

that says Hard drive , Not space required

r0ss0 wrote:
    that says Hard drive , Not space required
    true true. but 4 gb sounds small
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

Yea its defo small for what it claims to be ! , But wwho knows

Have some questions maybe the current testers can try out.

What happens if two characters are terraforming in the same area?

Say if both are doing the same action in the same area does it go faster?

What happens if multiple players are doing conflicting actions in the same area?

Can you did a hole too deep to climb out of?

If you raise land next to a rock surface, does it spill over the rock area, and can you then terraform where the rock used to be?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perception is reality

I doubt the terrain data is client-side.

Wurm streams the terrain on the fly to clients. The world is represented by a 4096 x 4096 height map (16-bits per pixel I think). Each pixel is also flagged with its terrain type. However, you don't download all this data every time you log on. There is a LOD system where only a certain sized area centered around your location is sent in full detail, and further away tiles are "averaged" out.

The results are pretty effective and the amount of data that gets sent to the client is kept light. Although you do get some graphical anomalies when viewing distant terrain from say a mountaintop but it still looks pretty good and you can at least recognize features.