The world is too big for current number of people. We are scatered all over and trade and cooperation almost do not exist. Tribes are ruled by few and freedom within a tribe is usually non existant, you either go out and do something solo, or pretend to pvp by runing around and finding no one or you terraform huge towers and dig huge holes to realize dreams of tribal leaders and not your own.
This is why I suggest building a homestead city. All it takes is all homesteaders who are interessted to move to the same location and start fresh.
Advantages of homestead city:
- Social > We get to see players all the time
- Economic > We get to trade with each other in matter of minutes and not hours. Need baskets? Someone has got them. Need tools? Someone will trade you. Need recipes? Someone has got them. With 20+ totems on the same spot quest browsing becomes interessting and sometimes needed.
- PVP > Homestead city is bound to become a target for pvp raids by those who are believe that current system is pvp suitable. If you want to take part in PVP you put up your armor and hunt pvpers away from our city. You don't? Stay in your territory. Homestead city can organize patrols, hunting parties, we don't need a tribe be working together.
- Territorial and resources > 20 homesteads take a lot of nice ground, more then one tribe with 20 members. 50 homesteads make even more. By doing that we can cover junkpiles, tree areas, water, sand... Resources can be covered by someone and traded for what someone else has covered. You got sand? Someone else has got leather.
- Wood > Talked about this before but I need to mention trees as well as soon there will be no trees left in the vicinity of homestead city, as it happened with any big settlement. This is why we can organize wood gathering parties providing pvp protection and looking for wood while having fun at the same time.
- Architectural > Most tribal lands look like too uniform, booring and if they were created by megalomaniac egomaniacs, resemble military camps more then settlements for humans who try to survive. With many homesteads it would be a much nicer sight to see with all the ideas on such a small place. Like a city and not like a prison camp.
Homestead city would have to be created close to water, prefferably on a flat surface near big junkpiles. Wood is not that relevant as its far to finite. Maybe on a lake near starter zones so newbies can get easier start and see that Xsyon is played by someone? Anyone knows a zone like that?
How about it? How many of you would be willing to try this? All it takes is 10 homesteads for start and then city would be expanding on it's own. Major trading hub, major pvp hub, major player interraction hub etc etc. Homesteads can be anything from 1 to 5 people. Territorial growth would be limited as homesteads would be created close to each other so anyone who aspires to create a huge tribe might not want to settle too close to city.
But most of all everyone who is citizen of homestead city would retain his freedom to play the game the way he wants without anyone telling him to dig here or swim there.
I know this is quite opposite of approach most people take here. Apocalypse, fear and loothing, theft and murder. Chaos. Well not for me. Luckily humanity was not made out of those who would steal and rape if judgement day comes but out of those who would try to rebuild and make a better world. Why not try this in Xsyon?