Grandmasters - allow recipe creation

I would like to see the ability to create recipes for grandmasters. It should take a looooot of time and resources and fail rate should be big (over 80%) but it would make sense to be a grandmaster and would solve the problem of lacking recipes (like basketry) and would curbe trade.

It would also mean reducing recipe drop rate for all recipes and moving towards recipe trading and not scavanging.

hmm thats interesting
    Maybe make each recipes use $1000 (using cash as paper) and some other resources

Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    I would like to see the ability to create recipes for grandmasters. It should take a looooot of time and resources and fail rate should be big (over 80%) but it would make sense to be a grandmaster and would solve the problem of lacking recipes (like basketry) and would curbe trade.

It would also mean reducing recipe drop rate for all recipes and moving towards recipe trading and not scavanging.
    With all respect to you, Plague, but I completely disagree. Every new mechanic that increases the amount of recipes known to a player is a bad thing. In my opinion the exact opposite is needed, currently it's far too easy for a player to know all recipes for all crafts (with the obvious exception of basket and architecture recipes because those do not exist at all.)

I tend to believe that the crafting system is borked anway and needs a complete overhaul.

One could think about your system once automatic learning of new recipes through crafting is completely turned off and the drop rate for scavenged recipes is adjusted (to 10% of the current drop rate).

Right now we have the select set of skills you start with, And thats a bunch. You also gain new recipes by inspiration, And uncovering knowledge in books from the past(recipes). To me it feels like there is to many being found now.

But as far as grandmasters go, There is two things you can do. First Jooky said that anyone making it to that level will be asked to help come up with new recipes. Also as long as this has not been cut, Players will gain new skills by learning from other players. In-game characters will be able to teach other in-game characters skills. At this time it does not mean nothing as we all know the basic skills. But after Jooky starts adding the new skills, If he still plans do it it as he outlined months ago. All new skills will come from books, If Jooky is still planning to do it the same way. When someone that knows one of the knew skills and have become a mastercrafter at it, Then that character can teach other characters that skill.

[EDIT] Just checked and it's still on the list on the Features page, Skills
    Players start the game with a selected set of skills. They gain new skills by learning from other players or by uncovering knowledge in books from the past.
    http://www.xsyon.com/features

Being able to create personally made recipes would be a very good feature. One would need paper, pen, and would be allowed to choose the equipment's skin based on a selection that is determined by the stats the item has. It would be something like the following:

GMaster Player clicks the action tab and then "Recipe Crafting" (there will also be "Spell Crafting" and "Skill Crafting") and in this there is a list of available recipes that you can craft as your own. To do this you'll need XX Intel, XX in the crafting/skill/spell tree. You'll be able to choose the average stats of the item to be crafted and the skin+color of the weapon. You can name the recipe. Then after you craft it and succeed you can learn it and then you can see what you need to create it (you can't see before hand). If you went crazy on the stats, it'd be rediculous to make (Something with crazy high combat stats would have a crazy low durability and require rediculous amounts of mats). All penalties would be exponentially increasing to the point where the game would just say you need "∞" of that item.

OR you could do it the other way around and only allow you to pick the components needed for the weapon and only after testing could you determine the stats of the weapons (as you cannot see stats in the game). <-- that might be more interesting.

But in order to learn the recipe you need not only the correct skill level, but you also need the correct intelligence or other crafting stats that pertain to that craft tree. This is so that not everyone can make them.

he is looking into various options for the highest person in each profession on how about to award the custom crafts.

Gm or otherwise*

As far as the op's idea for creating patterns.... this seems silly given the current state of patterns and craftable unlocks. If they overhaul the crafting system and don't just tune it this would be an interesting concept. As the system stands now it makes no sense and would be a worthless skill.

The game is about quality not the specific item. The only way it would come into play is if the gm had to teach other gm's their pattern. As in you created it only you can pass it on. This could lead to hoarding and other interesting strife issues.... Which personally I'm in favor of!