Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Website not remembering login details

Ok, so, this started as a minor problem. The website/forum went from remembering my login information indefinately and I didn't have to keep putting it in to logging me out every time I closed the current window, regardless of if I had clicked "remember me" when logging in.

However it's gotten much worse. If I don't post or navigate the forums within at least 15 minutes or so of my last action I get logged out. I haven't changed any settings. Can someone help me? This is frustrating, having to log in every half hour.

Re:Website not remembering login details

Ivan Streptovsky wrote:
    Ok, so, this started as a minor problem. The website/forum went from remembering my login information indefinately and I didn't have to keep putting it in to logging me out every time I closed the current window, regardless of if I had clicked "remember me" when logging in.

However it's gotten much worse. If I don't post or navigate the forums within at least 15 minutes or so of my last action I get logged out. I haven't changed any settings. Can someone help me? This is frustrating, having to log in every half hour.
    I think it was Virtus who changed the setting, one login session was way too long before, and that caused the site problems yesterday...now a login session seems to be 30 minutes, you are logged out after 30 minutes of inactivity.

How was it an issue? Other forums I go to have indefinate 'stay logged in' times, such as Facepunch Studios and wurm Online's forum

because there is a global login for the site and forums, if you were indefinitely logged into the forum you would also be logged into the site, and that is a major security problem, for reasons that you may not yet know about.
    There is the high level design of a gameplay mechanic. Then there is what everyone does in spite of it.

Ivan Streptovsky wrote:
    How was it an issue? Other forums I go to have indefinate 'stay logged in' times, such as Facepunch Studios and wurm Online's forum
    I'm not sure, and I might be totally wrong, but perhaps because if a guest reads the forum that starts a guest-login session, and if that was alive for 20 days a lot of living session were in the system...and if the length of the sessions cannot be set separately for the registered users then there isn't other solution only to reduce the time for everyone.

I think the only reason why the remember me feature would not be working is because you clear cookies when you close browser. is this the case?

Have you tried a different browser?

Virtus wrote:
    I think the only reason why the remember me feature would not be working is because you clear cookies when you close browser. is this the case?
    Nope. It's not set to clear cookies when I close the browser. This is the only site I have problems with like this. All the others keep me logged in

works for me on IE without deleting any files cookies etc on close. guessing it will also work for FF if i tried it.