Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for Everyone

I've recently brought this up with one of the developers, but I wanted to get the community's feedback on it.

I proposed to the developer an increase in development-related information between them and us. Whether a forum thread or a new section on the site named "In The Works" or "What We're Working On", I think that giving the player base some idea of what's going on behind the scenes would really help out a lot during this phase of the game/development.

If nothing else, it would relieve some of the concerns and certainly some of the current tension on the forums AND give a proverbial light to the player base currently wandering in a dark tunnel.

Early thanks for your input!

*Edits*

@mgilbrtsn: Definitely! This certainly isn't a request or demand for specifics and dates...just a general idea of what we can expect and what's currently being worked on. (Preferably short-term progress.)

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    Not knowing whats in the works leaves people to assume the worst (that nothing is in the works).
    Exactly why I made this post and attempted to contact the developers! It's only going to get worse as time goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    I think best would be maybe once a week to come out with something saying "This is what we are planning on short term, mid term, and long term" and make it brief and quick.
    Great suggestion concerning this. Once a week with an idea of what's coming would be epic!

Inherently a good idea. As long as the community doesn't take 'we are working on this' to 'you promised us this by X date'

Good idea. It will bring some hope to people who are starting to waiver. Not knowing whats in the works leaves people to assume the worst (that nothing is in the works).

It's easy for a system with flaws to flounder on slack community management, and alternatively to thrive with flaws with good community relations and transparency. Eve Online/CCP had a very flawed sandbox game when they started, and they developed a devoted and participatory devout population. It's hard to remember how indy Eve has been, all along, now that CCP has been doing things like buying up another game company, and winning prizes for their games and gamers-choice as a game company so often.

I mean, let's face it, a few devs in Rekjavik? What were the chances...?

So yes, I have spoken to one guide and proposed to them that they need better community management (no offense to the current guy, but getting "guides" and smacking uncivil forum posts is not enough -- they need social media and diplomacy -- BIG diplomacy -- with their current and prospective community at this point).

There should be no separation between the idea of good community relations/community management and good marketing (altho, not the other way around! . In a games culture where community managers end up recognized across games and vendors by (user)name, and interviewed by game press as near-celebrities, a good community manager is beyond pearls.

I know I'm not planning to renew at this point not because I don't like the game, with its flaws, but because without more transparency and communications, I have to assume the worst.

yrs,
    Shava/Ani

I agree with the OP they should, but dont forget its also about time.
    Doesnt seem like posting down a list of this or that we are working on takes a lot of time. But it does take time, and you cant just post it. You need to remove items and update the list else it will be worthless, and really more upsetting.

I think best would be maybe once a week to come out with something saying "This is what we are planning on short term, mid term, and long term" and make it brief and quick.

They are already trying to get a 6 week update log to us. They've already told us what's on the agenda.

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    They are already trying to get a 6 week update log to us. They've already told us what's on the agenda.
    Indeed, but the list they gave was things expected to be patched out in "the next week or two". My biggest concern (and that of MOST of the player base at this point) is that it takes several weeks for them to even come up with a list of what's on the board for the next six weeks. That list is already one week behind and we haven't seen it.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or cause problems. I'm just trying to propose solutions to the ever-dwindling player base. The zone I live in is a ghost town...there is one semi-active clan in the zones around me...otherwise...my part of the world is dead...

I'm saying we already know what they are working on.

It's like they tell us "We're doing these things now and we will focus on these things next." And the community says, "But what are you doing?"

Are you looking for something like "We are coding arrow physics" ? Are you looking for a post that displays what each of every developer is presently working on individually?

Quote Originally Posted by orious13 View Post
    I'm saying we already know what they are working on.

It's like they tell us "We're doing these things now and we will focus on these things next." And the community says, "But what are you doing?"

Are you looking for something like "We are coding arrow physics" ? Are you looking for a post that displays what each of every developer is presently working on individually?
    More than anything, I'm looking for, perhaps, a progress report. As I said...all of those things listed were to be in "the next week or two". Perhaps I'm jumping the gun, but even just a quick "Hey guys, we're on track for next week sometime to get this, this, and this in and going" would be nice.

Also, I'm venting frustration at this point. I'm really trying to be supportive and have fun, but when there's no real reason to log on (and no one to socialize with or interact with when I am on), I get frustrated...