Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Questions For Players

I have a few questions regarding bugs and suggestions so far and I'd appreciate some feedback from you players.

1) Currently actions such as scavenging and logging set you to a busy state. I have an 'interrupt' that can be called several ways. Certain actions, like getting attacked, will automatically interrupt the action.

For self interrupting an action, this can be done in several ways:

- An interrupt key / command.

- Any movement (forward, backwards etc.) interrupts the action. This could or could not include mouse rotation.

- Certain select movements interrupt the action (more active movements such as switch to combat mode or jump).

I think having any movement interrupt the action would be too annoying, as players could accidentally interrupt an action that takes time.

2) Can someone give me more detail about this bug?

fix the momentary disappearing of trees before they fall after being cut down.

Does the tree disappear before it begins to fall?

3) Regarding deleted character names. These were being saved for a while in case a player wanted their deleted character back. I've switched this to allow the name to be immediately reuseable, though we will still keep a deleted character's records for a while. Any opinions on this?

4) I agree with the comments about the character creator. I'd like to hear some opinions about a character creator you personally think works very well. I kept the current creator simple and straightforward with the plan of improving it in the future.

All comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks.

Re:Questions For Players

1) I think an interrupt key/command would be the best way to go to interrupt an action.

3) Please let us delete and possibly recreate that same name immediately.

2) Can someone give me more detail about this bug?

fix the momentary disappearing of trees before they fall after being cut down.

Does the tree disappear before it begins to fall?

Check at 38 seconds in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8aMyGKgjEU
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Re: Questions For Players

I'd suggest going with the interrupt key, as well as any switch to combat mode cancelling an action. You are right that movement interrupting actions is more annoying than useful.

Re: Questions For Players

I agree that a key + combat mode to interrupt, but of course add in a distance factor you must stay within, so someone doesn't start chopping a tree then run around a bit while they are supposed to be chopping. Maybe disable movement while chopping until you hit the interrupt key or combat starts? That's another option as well..

Xsyon wrote:
    I have a few questions regarding bugs and suggestions so far and I'd appreciate some feedback from you players.

1) Currently actions such as scavenging and logging set you to a busy state. I have an 'interrupt' that can be called several ways. Certain actions, like getting attacked, will automatically interrupt the action.

For self interrupting an action, this can be done in several ways:

- An interrupt key / command.

- Any movement (forward, backwards etc.) interrupts the action. This could or could not include mouse rotation.

- Certain select movements interrupt the action (more active movements such as switch to combat mode or jump).

I think having any movement interrupt the action would be too annoying, as players could accidentally interrupt an action that takes time.
    Esc key should stop an action right away. Movement should be move like more than 1 second should stop it. It does it in other games and its not that bad at all. Jump should stop it too.

So all 3 of those should be used in my opinion. Also can we get it so we can look around a little better? Right now its locked to up and down, can we get to the left or right just a bit? Like 20 or 30 degrees on each side?

Xsyon wrote:
    3) Regarding deleted character names. These were being saved for a while in case a player wanted their deleted character back. I've switched this to allow the name to be immediately reusable, though we will still keep a deleted character's records for a while. Any opinions on this?
    Can we have it so based on how long you had it active is how long it takes for the name to fall off? Or brackets? Like if you had it for less than 24 hours, you can delete it in 5mins, if you had it from 24hours to 2 weeks it lasts like 1 week, and anything over 2 weeks lasts like 1 to 3 months.

Most of the names needing to be reused are going to be because someone messed up a toon right off the get go.

Xsyon wrote:
    4) I agree with the comments about the character creator. I'd like to hear some opinions about a character creator you personally think works very well. I kept the current creator simple and straightforward with the plan of improving it in the future.

All comments and opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
    I think Shadowbane had a good one, but thats mostly because of how it had so many runes and stuff.
    Also adding a sliderbar would be great for stats. Tool tips for info on the creator too.
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

1. I would say all three. That any movement or action causes an interrupt. As long as it does not destroy the resource. Many games do this for breaking a timed action like resource gathering. The only thing is to make sure that camera controls do not interrupt the process.

2. I'm not in game yet, haven't observed it yet. But when I am in, my Fraps will be triggered and ready to capture with the new 30 second buffer feature.

3. In my experience, most games don't delete a character name for 3 to 6 months. You could run a script/query that deletes any inactive names older than 6 months every 3 months.

4. I need time in the Character Creator to play around with it. But hover style description pop-ups, or a click on the the name pop-up would be an improvement on the attributes and other fuzzy areas. Like examples of which things affect which actions/skills. Not a full list, but just a few examples in each pop up. I can elaborate if you wish.
    I do like the simplicity of the layout.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perception is reality

For interrupting I think it should be a if you move x distance away from action location. (this is how wurm works)

Personally if i was a crafter and saw someone coming after me i would not want to spend 2 get away seconds to push a button, I just want to hope to it.

1) I think an interrupt which is caused by entering combat mode/jump, movement (forward or backwards) is justified because you need to press a key for it to happen.

About mouse rotation, if it is to rotate the camera, I don't think it should interrupt the action because its to rotate the view. Serves the purpose of panning the camera to look around for possible danger (player or environment). That's my viewpoint but others might say that it breaks the "reality" of such an action.

3) I would certainly vote for immediate reuse of a character's name. Most people have their favourite names which they use across games they've played before and yeah, the mess a person can make while making a toon. So, I vote for immediate reuse.

Can't exactly suggest if you should keep (or how long you should be keeping) a deleted character's data. That depends on how much you're willing to assign a portion of the database for such a function.

4) I haven't seen the character creation myself since I'm not in game yet but I would certainly like a tooltip that display the description of the attribute when you mouseover it.

5) Regarding this: After creating a new character the icons of crafting etc are still in the action bar from the previous character. However they do not work .

Did this happen after creating a new character with the same name as a previous character, after a database wipe?