Thread: Dies the Fire

Dies the Fire

Hey Folks. I'm new here, and a funny thing recently happened. A while back I read a book by a man named S Stirling. The book, "Dies the Fire", was a great tale about an event that resulted in a modern world thrown into the middle ages; no electricity, gun powder does not combust, and things generally cease to work.

I was thinking this morning, how great it would be for an MMO to be created using Dies the Fire as a model; Although I'm not quite sure that the developers have read this book, I think I might have found a home. Been wandering since post-patch UO; hell, meridian 59.... EQ, warcraft, darkfall, mortal online.

Anyway, too much rambling, good to meet you all, and if you are looking for something to do before the prelude, pick up "Dies the Fire"... it's worth the read.

-
    Yanowski

Re:Dies the Fire

Welcome and thanks but Ill wait for the movie.
    [img size=500]http://i42.tinypic.com/15yys69.jpg[/img]

That's interesting because something like that might be what the devs have in mind because they have stated that magic is entering the world. The question becomes whether this magic will replace technology or exist along side it.

Leader of Ancient Embers at ancientembers.net

I want to kill people with magic bullets.

Palo god wrote:
    That'd be quite cool actually, enchanting bullets with magics
    Brum, brum.

Cradlejoe wrote:
    Palo god wrote:
    That'd be quite cool actually, enchanting bullets with magics
    I’m thinking outlaw star.

OOOps, total rip-off of René Barjavel

yanowski wrote:
    Hey Folks. I'm new here, and a funny thing recently happened. A while back I read a book by a man named S Stirling. The book, "Dies the Fire", was a great tale about an event that resulted in a modern world thrown into the middle ages; no electricity, gun powder does not combust, and things generally cease to work.

I was thinking this morning, how great it would be for an MMO to be created using Dies the Fire as a model; Although I'm not quite sure that the developers have read this book, I think I might have found a home. Been wandering since post-patch UO; hell, meridian 59.... EQ, warcraft, darkfall, mortal online.

Anyway, too much rambling, good to meet you all, and if you are looking for something to do before the prelude, pick up "Dies the Fire"... it's worth the read.

-
    Yanowski
    I have read all the books of the "Mike Series" [spoiler]up until he dies[/spoiler]. After that it just becomes some creepy Wiccan book series with a bit too much fantasy for my liking. The first books are awesome though. It is a survivalists dream.

I'm the fortunate one, I never got past the first 3 books. Dies the fire, The protectors war, and The Meeting at Corvalis.

Cheers fellars.

-Yan

Welcome! I hadn't heard of these books, but may to by and grab them. George R.R. Martin sure isn't giving me anything new lately