Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions regarding Durability and Decay

There are going to be a hundred questions about this. Lets keep it in this thread for now so the devs can read it all in one place, k?

p.s. it looks like theres a bug with tooltips on inventory items right now where they stay on your screen if you close your inventory before moving your cursor away. Open and close your inventory [i] - [i] to get rid of it.

i'll update this with my questions in a second

Durability disappearing / reappearing

I looked at my bin full of metal sheets. 99% of them didn't show any classification of durability. 1 of them did, when i hovered over it once, it said Very High Durability. I moved away from it, and back to it, and the durability class was gone. I don't know what i did, but i somehow replicated the same thing and managed to see the durability once more, but moving my cursor away and back again made it disappear. Same thing happened with one of my wooden blocks -- i got it to show moderate durability, moved away, moved back again, and it was gone.

I have not "seen" any durability classifications on logs, leather, metal scrap, or plastic scrap, but i believe its there, just not showing up. My metal usually doesn't show it but because 1 of them did, i think they all have durability. Thread consistently shows durability. There is currently a big issue with making other resources durability show up though

As a matter of fact, the vast majority of the items in my camp, of all types, seem to lack identifiable durability or condition. I dont know which ones lack it, or which ones simply aren't showing up.

Preorder weapons

When i looked at my little combat blade, it said pristine, moderate low durability. My mutilator says nothing about condition or durability. Every weapon in camp that ive found, both crafted and found, have dura and condition, except my mutilator. This leads me to believe it's not an identification problem. I think preorder weapons might not decay. Do preorder weapons have durability and decay? Or is it just not showing up as i previously mentioned?

Items currently only decay on "use" thus mostly only finished products that can be used will have the decay on them.
    Baskets do not decay (per DevDez 2 times).

About the sticky tooltip, its been known but, also if you looking a player, and have a tooltip up from that players loot once they respawn, it will close the window and it will keep the tooptip up, you cant get rid of this without looting another player, or relogging.

Currently I do not believe preorder weapons decay, but I would like to see a response about this. I really hope they do.

Anyway we can get the forums fixed from all these laggy double posts?

It looks like basalt bricks have "infinite duration". There is such a thing as a class of durability as infinite. Preorder weapons arent showing their durability it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    Items currently only decay on "use" thus mostly only finished products that can be used will have the decay on them.
    Baskets do not decay (per DevDez 2 times).

About the sticky tooltip, its been known but, also if you looking a player, and have a tooltip up from that players loot once they respawn, it will close the window and it will keep the tooptip up, you cant get rid of this without looting another player, or relogging.

Currently I do not believe preorder weapons decay, but I would like to see a response about this. I really hope they do.
    I don't think pre-order weapons should decay, but they should be made to be on par with starting items. Relatedly, if you die, you should at least spawn with basic items.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post
    I don't think pre-order weapons should decay, but they should be made to be on par with starting items. Relatedly, if you die, you should at least spawn with basic items.

By basic items i hope you dont mean tradeable things like shovels, axes and the like. That could be exploited to all hell, like it already has been done, except it will be worse now that decay is in and it will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcalhou View Post

By basic items i hope you dont mean tradeable things like shovels, axes and the like. That could be exploited to all hell, like it already has been done, except it will be worse now that decay is in and it will matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelTEE3 View Post
    Very true. People will be dying on purpose to generate loot.

Eh, I don't want to hijack this thread anymore than has been about preorder weapons, but basically: The starter equipment. Perhaps what you would spawn with upon character creation. I actually think that each character should start the game with one of each type of starter tool/weapon anyway.

If I die in Eve-online and have nothing to my name, as soon as I dock or respawn at a station, then the game gives me the starter ship, the starter guns, and the starter mining laser. This way I can get back into mining or back into combat without having to start all over or beg in chat and pray that someone is kind enough to take pity on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhul_NS View Post
    Yeah, but that's a balance problem. The devs HAVE to make starter equipment nearly worthless and useless. Starter equipment should be just that--equipment that is used to get your character started.