Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Big Change to Crafting QL determination

Seems they refactored how skill, tool QL and mat QL affect the resulting product QL.

Before the patch I could boost the level of the products the higher my skill and tool QL were. Even with moderate goods I could boost the result up to VHQ with VHQ tools. Not anymore.

With 100 skill and a VHQ saw and craft knife, I get Poor handles from Poor logs, Low from Low, Moderate from Moderate, etc. In one case I even got Poor handles from Low blocks (degraded quality). So basically my 100 woodworking is as effective as if it were 5. All my stored stocks of Moderate and lower logs just became firewood.

At 97 toolmaking and HQ tools, I can only get High tool products from High mats. With VHQ tools I can squeak up to VHQ products. Before, I could get VHQ results from High mats and tools.

With 47 leathercrafting, VHQ tools,VHQ leather scraps and high thread I only get Moderate Leather Straps, whereas before the patch I got High quality.

At 70 tailoring and VHQ cloth scraps I can still get High thread which then turns into High string, but Moderate twine. Before I was able to carry the High level all the way through to twine, as my basket full of High twine can attest to. This is a more definate example of the skill contribution being tweaked, as there are no tools involved in thread/string/twine.

Just my observations.

The only complaint I have is how totally ineffective my 100 Woodworking has become. Being my primary (hoped for) field of work, this really hit me hard. I can only hope it is a bug or oversight.

Huh?
    I look at it the other way around.

Now you NEED high QL stuff to make high QL stuff. Not just high skill.

Right now you need, X Y Z to be high to make a high QL item.
    X=skill
    Y=QL mats
    Z = tools

If you sub out low on any of those items you will get a much lower QL finished product. Now your woodworking MATTERS, because before you could take low QL logs, low QL wood, low QL handles, mix in low QL screws and low QL tools, with 100 weaponcrafting and get a VHQL item.

Much better now, great job Devs.

After some thought, I like this better than the old system where you would automatically boost the quality of a product with your skill. This will make all skills more valuable and restart trading. My moderate skills in leather craft and woodworking are fine for grinding weapons, but to make the real good stuff I'll need master leather and wood workers.

For example: Since Drevar has high woodcrafting but moderate to low logging, he'll get Mr. DDT (who has clear cut many zones to boost his logging) to chop logs. Drevar can then trade some master quality handles to me for some master quality weapons.

Of course to make this work we need trees, but I hear on some sections of the map trees still exist.

Luck does play a part, so you might get better results from lower quality materials or skill. I made my first master quality knife at 89 weapon crafting using a master quality blade and bone, a vhq screw and vhq tools.

Ravelli

Quote Originally Posted by thurgond View Post
    After some thought, I like this better than the old system where you would automatically boost the quality of a product with your skill. This will make all skills more valuable and restart trading. My moderate skills in leather craft and woodworking are fine for grinding weapons, but to make the real good stuff I'll need master leather and wood workers.

For example: Since Drevar has high woodcrafting but moderate to low logging, he'll get Mr. DDT (who has clear cut many zones to boost his logging) to chop logs. Drevar can then trade some master quality handles to me for some master quality weapons.

Of course to make this work we need trees, but I hear on some sections of the map trees still exist.

Luck does play a part, so you might get better results from lower quality materials or skill. I made my first master quality knife at 89 weapon crafting using a master quality blade and bone, a vhq screw and vhq tools.

Ravelli

Yes this is it 100%, it will promote people to trade a lot more, now all we need is better tools (carts, sleds, mules etc) to export things around. So we can trade a lot better.

This game really needs to have more interactive crafting, harvesting, and terraforming systems possibly with abilities the player can use during these activities to affect the outcome. As it is now, having higher skills in these areas is effectively a burden.

This game has soooo much work ahead of it.

They might really want to look into Vanguard and Ryzom's crafting and harvesting sytems to get some ideas on how to make it more interactive and where skills actually do something.

Right on, loving this patch.

I was able to get VHQ results with HQ mats and a Moderate tool. I must have been reading the durability (High) on the tools before.

My issue isn't with the system as a whole. I like the increased reliance on material quality. My issue is with woodworking not functioning the same for its products.

Example:
    High Quality Plastic + Moderate craft knife + 97 toolcrafting = VHQ scrapper's lasher (I gained a QL by virtue of skill, even with a lower quality tool)

Moderate Quality Small wood block + Moderate craft knife (exact same knife as above) + 100 woodworking = Moderate quality handle....nothing, nada, didnt gain a thing from high skill even 3 points higher than toolmaking in the previous example. Tried the same with a VHQ knife, still moderate result.

It is woodworking that doesn't appear to be playing by the same rules that I take issue with. That and only that. I support the system that has been implemented. It is only woodworking that I think needs to be double checked to make sure it is working properly.

What type knife were you using? A Trapper and Pioneer knife might give you better quality.

Ravelli

Ive tried it with both a scrapper and a pioneer, same results, so if there is an increase it isn't enough to be noticeable with the relative quality scale we have (vs hard numbers).

The durability bonus on the different craft knives is very noticeable, though. I jump from high to very high with the scrapper's. Don't get enough boost to QL from the pioneer's to shift it up a level.

Time to join a tribe. Which is what I should be thinking. Great news. I was seriously thinking about not playing. . now there is a little more point to being good at something and getting the right mats.