Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Leveling...

I think you all are making this harder that it is there are some basic simple rules on how to level.

First off understand the game is made of up 1 Sq M tiles, those tiles can either be flat(ie level) or sloped (ie connecting to another sloped tile or level tile), any tile you affect directly IE your standing on that tile, will ALWAYS be flat, any tile you affect indirectly IE a neighboring tile will ALWAYS be sloped if its neighbors are at a height different from the tile your standing on.

here's a example how to level the top of a wall 3m x 1m x 1m, lets start with that first since you can't really screw that up. I think everyone can figure out how to make a 1m x 3m dirt so im not going to explain that.

Tile A is the Height i want to get tile C to.

IF Tile A is 500.00 and tile C is 499.9 and you stand on tile B and hit level Tiles B will become 500.00 and tile C will become a slope that West Edge will be 500.00 and its eastern edge will STAY 499.9, now if you stand on tile C and hit level it should go up to 500.00

Again this is for a 3x1 wall that is at least 1m higher than your surrounding tiles.

IF Tile A is 500.00 and tile C is 499.8 and you stand on tile B and hit level Tile A will no longer be flat but a slop that goes from 500.0 to 499.9, Tile B will become flat at 499.9 and tile C will be a slope from 499.9 to 499.8

If tile A is 500.0 and tile C is 499.6 and you stand on tile B and hit level Tile A will no longer be flat but a slope that goes from 500.0 to 499.8 tile B will become flat at 499.8 and tile C will become a slope from 499.8 to 499.6

The way i learned to level was building the wall out of dirt where the surrounding tiles were at like 5m below the walls edges, once you understand how to level the top of a 1m wide wall then you understand the math/gut feeling about leveling.

heres a example of tile preference:

The edge of the tile you stand on affects how you level, This is a little harder to explain so bear with me, if your wanting to level the Red and Green tile you need to stand some where relative to either the red or green area and that will level versus the two sides, this is not affected by the direction you or your camera are facing. If your too close to the Yellow or blue area it will level versus those tiles. this is helpful to understand when your tring to level a area that is more flat than wall like.

Heres a example of how leveling works with multiple tiles

This is where im tring to get everything leveled to .00 the far right tile is .70 and the far left is .00, the red dot indicates where i would be standing when i hit level.
    as you can see we have to level from lowest to highest because leveling prefers going up over down when there is a .1 height difference between 2 tiles.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalGooey View Post
    Untrue again. But think as you please. Ive had it happen where there is higher ground around it and go up by 0.5 as well as higher ground around it and go up by 0.6...this higher ground we speak of, in both cases, was no more than 0.5 higher than the ground I was raising (it was already set at 400.00 and the ground i was raising was 399.5)
    If i was tring to raise a tile from 399.5 to 400.0 i would just raise the terrain.. since thats way easier than leveling and you should always have dirt on you even when leveling.

That was awesome, thank you for sharing.

I really hope that helps "click" for some people, im really tired of the bad terraforming some players are doing in the game. i think you should be required to get a license to terraform before your allowed to really terraform.

I think as a community we should be allowed to vote for certain players to have there terraforming rights rooms if there simply doing stuff that is just crap.

Well I guess you can limit people in your own tribe if you wish. But the level of perfectionnement is different from one person to another. Not everyone has the same standard.

I just want to reinforce. You want to LEVEL UP. Meaning go from 399.8 to 400 NOT 400.01 to 400.00. Even with every other tile at 400, if you get 1 small area at 400.01 you will have to dig a whole and pull everything back up.
    Sometimes you can get lucky and it will level it down, but you could be unlucky and now you have 2 tiles at 400.10 instead of 1 at 400.01.

If you get a single or couple of tiles that are above your intended level, you can just lower the terrain on that spot and then level up the spot. A -.5 difference on one tile vs surrounding tiles will level up a whole lot faster than a long gradual slope.