Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Offline Vendor Mode

This is going to be the best post of my life!!!

I think I can't get any better than that.

1) position character on a market place;
    2) select some items in inventory;
    3) set prices;
    4) set offline-mode to "vendor";
    5) go offline (character becomes an NPC vendor);
    6) ?????
    7) profit!

Edit: I had to add this line:

inb4 crunch selling his cigars, weed and microphones

Re: Offline Vendor Mode

Totems. Thanks for reading =P
    MrDDT

"Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win."
    -Sun-tzu

Re:Offline Vendor Mode

It would be interesting if you could set three prices for market items. One for tribe members, one for allies and one for everyone else.

Or have three separate markets accessible by those groups of people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Perception is reality

MrDDT wrote:
    No no, totems are different!
    They are "devices" placed in the village where you can interact, much like a bulletin board.

What I propose allows you to stand far away from any village or whatever and do your thing.

Other players would have to find you, and this is part of the thrill, much as like as it is in SWG.

The "totem" is an aggregator much like an auction house.

pid73 wrote:
    MrDDT wrote:
    They are "devices" placed in the village where you can interact, much like a bulletin board.

What I propose allows you to stand far away from any village or whatever and do your thing.

Other players would have to find you, and this is part of the thrill, much as like as it is in SWG.

No. NPC are objects placed somewhere you interact with, much like a totem.
    The only difference is aesthetic.

Well.... Not really, but you would not want to leave your character as an NPC vendor anyways. And selling at a totem you get the protection it gives out practically for free.
    There is the high level design of a gameplay mechanic. Then there is what everyone does in spite of it.

An NPC merchant hireling would work nice and be more aesthetically role-play pleasing I think.

But should there be a rule-set that the merchant npc, for example, is within proximity to some "Inn" or "Merchandise Establishment"?

I dont know. . .I really dont like afk totems that litter the landscape and clutter the walkways or inner areas of towns.

No, you don't get your own totem. Your tribe gets,i think, a few.
    There is the high level design of a gameplay mechanic. Then there is what everyone does in spite of it.

Diocletian wrote:
    No. NPC are objects placed somewhere you interact with, much like a totem.
    The only difference is aesthetic.

Well.... Not really, but you would not want to leave your character as an NPC vendor anyways. And selling at a totem you get the protection it gives out practically for free.
    The totem is an aggregator. It aggregates all offers just like an auction house. The vendor is different because each one has a different offer. you wouldn't just have a table and order it by price or have a search function. you have to search many vendors find the better ones. this is called streetwise.

the idea of "getting for free" is a gameplay problem, not a technical one. it is possible to make things VERY easy but, then they become not very entertaining. in a game it is important to be entertained and this means that not everything is necessarily as easy as possible.

and when you leave your character unattended it would "turn into an NPC" which also means that you can't attack him, so there is no security issue for the vendor.

this way you can have an actual "commercial street" or "market place" where many vendors commonly align.

it would be completely different than a frigid "totem" where you click, search by name and order by price.

if you have played SWG you known what a difference this makes.

pid73 wrote:
    MrDDT wrote:

But in SWG your vendor had to be inside your house/building.

Anyway, Xsyon already has an "Offline vendor" system so it's all good
    Brum, brum.

Cradlejoe wrote:
    pid73 wrote:
    MrDDT wrote:

But in SWG your vendor had to be inside your house/building.

Anyway, Xsyon already has an "Offline vendor" system so it's all good
    Yea...it's been a while, but what I was thinking of with SWG. Sounds good.