Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Nice surprise indeed haha.

I have been thinking about the hour thing and wonder what kind of radius from one's home that would amount to... again, map will be huge and while mounts will affect that, who knows when that will be, timer can be adjusted when that is implemented.

I don't really know how to get a general idea of a timer that would allow a proper incentive for the choice to head back out or not, while also encouraging people to go far from the home. While not making it so long that it winds up weighing down the server too. Is run speed affected by player level? Meaning a veteran could cover more ground in an hour and thus be more likely to go further out than a new player? But then, this hurts new players more than veterans because item loss is harder on them...

Dunno, but still won't really matter until bag permissions are looked at. Taming, cooking, agriculture, a lot of things are more important to me from a dev resource standpoint.
    In my opinion, you're putting too much thought into it. If the code is so shitty that it can't handle some graves throughout the day, then the issue isn't with the graves. :P

Also, incentive to explore far from home should not be based on how long a timer is. It should be based on the worthiness of exploration (content).

Everyone has the choice of a corpse run. It's not a newbie v. veteran scenario. Want to? Do it. Don't? Don't.

Jadzia -

Don't play stupid. Your "brave PvP'er" comment was stated in jest.

As I said, if you're worried about the economy, you'd suggest faster item decay. Your 5-minute grave timer only works if you die while solo and it happens more than 5 minutes from your totem. While it will obviously happen at times, that's still filled with ifs. Faster overall decay accomplishes exactly what you want in a much more efficient manner.

- Random drops suck. A great win might give you 2 sand, 2 nails, 1 screw, a crappy glove, and a pair of Zonkers. That uber axe sure would have been nice...

- Exploiting fast travel with random drops is not hard; just potentially more time consuming. You do it with more than 1 person. If you drop something good, have your alt or friend pick it up. Some people would just roll the dice if solo, anyway, and succeed.

- 1-hour timer gives people a choice to make a corpse run. This is especially good for people who are low on equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    Jadzia -

Don't play stupid. Your "brave PvP'er" comment was stated in jest.
    It was definitely a bit ironic and a bit teasing, but in no way was an insult. But nvm, I really don't get offended through the net.

As I said, if you're worried about the economy, you'd suggest faster item decay. Your 5-minute grave timer only works if you die while solo and it happens more than 5 minutes from your totem. While it will obviously happen at times, that's still filled with ifs. Faster overall decay accomplishes exactly what you want in a much more efficient manner.

- Random drops suck. A great win might give you 2 sand, 2 nails, 1 screw, a crappy glove, and a pair of Zonkers. That uber axe sure would have been nice...

- Exploiting fast travel with random drops is not hard; just potentially more time consuming. You do it with more than 1 person. If you drop something good, have your alt or friend pick it up. Some people would just roll the dice if solo, anyway, and succeed.

- 1-hour timer gives people a choice to make a corpse run. This is especially good for people who are low on equipment.
    Fast decay is ok...but annoying and makes the game feel like a chore, while losing items on death makes the game exciting. Much better solution imo.

You are right about the 5 mins...originally I suggested 1 min lol but there was such a big uproar I gave in and altered to 5 mins :P

There would be no random drops for PvP death. It would be full looting just like now.

If a player would keep playing hazard with a friend the time it would consume from both of them wouldn't really be worth it imo.

I can live with a 1 hour corpse window. I just don't find it good for the economy.

Everyone has the choice of a corpse run. It's not a newbie v. veteran scenario. Want to? Do it. Don't? Don't.
    What I'm trying to say is that it's easier and more likely for a veteran player to just shrug and figure : "pfft, not bothering with a corpse run."

Suppose if I had a human skull or drill bit in there maybe I'd be happy to have the option to bother but 99% of the time it wouldn't affect me at all.

A new player may not have as much luxury to shrug it off as I do, especially if there aren't many people around to trade them a replacement.

So we'd be exposing new players to a tedious and boring part of the game disproportionately, before they've been really hooked into the game, which makes it more likely they'll just hit the X in the top right corner and go play something else.

Not saying we need to coddle them but lets not push them out either Just saying that when it comes time to look at this more seriously because implementation is more imminent, it's something to keep in mind.

And yes, this wouldn't be the first time someone tells me I'm over-thinking things Sometimes it's a good thing, sometimes not so much.

in any case... where's that confounded map... woke up in-game and forgot where I was going the other night.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    It was definitely a bit ironic and a bit teasing, but in no way was an insult. But nvm, I really don't get offended through the net.

Fast decay is ok...but annoying and makes the game feel like a chore, while losing items on death makes the game exciting. Much better solution imo.

You are right about the 5 mins...originally I suggested 1 min lol but there was such a big uproar I gave in and altered to 5 mins :P

There would be no random drops for PvP death. It would be full looting just like now.

If a player would keep playing hazard with a friend the time it would consume from both of them wouldn't really be worth it imo.

I can live with a 1 hour corpse window. I just don't find it good for the economy.

The game is flooded with items, decay is slow, this would boost the economy and would avoid the really boring corpse runs.
    The bold text conflicts, too. Decay is losing an item once it's broken.

Exploiting random drops with an alt or friend may not be worth it to you, but it will be to others, especially with regard to resource gathering. You've played MMOs, right? Many people do mind boggling things in these games.

Durability loss on items after any death. There ya go. Helps accomplish what you want, along with faster decay.

Book -

So what you're saying is that you don't want full loot. I could even say you don't want any looting. Potential players can read the game features before buying. If they X out because of losing their stuff, they did while in the know.

No idea how you read this from what I wrote

Nothing would change PvP looting wise...nothing. My suggestion is for PvE death penalty. If the devs decide to go for full item drop on PvE death I'm happy. If they choose to go for 1 hour corpse window I can live with that too but I'd like a boost for the economy so I prefer no corpse run.

My statement was in theory not a statement of what I was saying word for word of what you were saying. Its the "HOW" you are saying it. You say 1 thing, then say total opposite of it.

It would be like saying, I love cheese on my pizzas, but I dont want any cheese on the pizza. Its a "Huh?" moment because it makes no sense its almost like you are only saying you want something just to start a fight. Why even state the no cheese option, if you want a cheese? Just say you want cheese, and if everyone doesnt want cheese then it will come out with no cheese.

JCatano glad to have you back on the forums and posting. You are reading my mind in your statements.

Im glad someone else posts what I see. She does these things all the time, and acts like "Everyone" wants it.

The bold text conflicts, too. Decay is losing an item once it's broken.

Exploiting random drops with an alt or friend may not be worth it to you, but it will be to others, especially with regard to resource gathering. You've played MMOs, right? Many people do mind boggling things in these games.

Durability loss on items after any death. There ya go. Helps accomplish what you want, along with faster decay.
    There is no conflict...decay is slow so we need something more to keep the economy going, fast decay is annoying so better to implement item loss on death. This is how I meant.

Durability loss is good if it is huge and there is no repair option.

DDT, your analogy is bad. Its more like I love cheese on my pizza, but I share that pizza with my friends....so I agree to have less cheese on it to make it enjoyable for them too.

There is no conflict...decay is slow so we need something more to keep the economy going, fast decay is annoying so better to implement item loss on death. This is how I meant.

DDT, your analogy is bad. Its more like I love cheese on my pizza, but I share that pizza with my friends....so I agree to have less cheese on it to make it enjoyable for them too.
    Item loss and decay are the same things in the end. The item disappears.

It doesn't have to be slow or fast. It can be in the middle.

Repair can be an option... Each repair lowers the max durability, until it can be no longer repaired.

Pre-NGE (and maybe after) SWG had durability loss upon death, usage decay, and repairs lowering max durability. It worked very well. If it had looting, it would have worked that much better.

If you say so, my point is still the same. You drop all your wants for a carebears. Yet you wouldnt do this for PVPers odd. Either way, most I believe in a sandbox type of game want full loot drop on death. Another reason to have it, is because of the economy, and exploiting travel part of it.

I see no reason to have it other than "Corpse runs" which can easy be thought of 2 things. 1) Its not real to have your items come with you after you revive from death (even if we could revive from death in real life, I would never expect my items to come with me), and 2) You should chalk it up as a loss soon as you die. PVP or PVE. If you get your stuff back, great.

Jordi already said that items were going to be fairly easy to replace and make. I see no reason not to keep with that idea.

I do understand your idea of "deleting items after xshort timer" but I dont agree. I think the time should be long enough for someone to get back to the location but not long enough to cause lag, or use as a storage grave.

Item loss and decay are the same things in the end. The item disappears.

It doesn't have to be slow or fast. It can be in the middle.

Repair can be an option... Each repair lowers the max durability, until it can be no longer repaired.

Pre-NGE (and maybe after) SWG had durability loss upon death, usage decay, and repairs lowering max durability. It worked very well. If it had looting, it would have worked that much better.
    Yes I like dura, and maybe even QL loss on items as you die, or maybe dura loss with repair, and the dura loss is harsh so that sometimes need repairs which would cause the QL to drop.

I would love to see a good repair system in this game.

Yes, DAoC also has the system where repairs lower max durability, along with the mechanic of lower effectiveness as your item drops below the max.

Its not real to have your items come with you after you revive from death (even if we could revive from death in real life, I would never expect my items to come with me)
    This reasoning is great...seriously...I think I've never read funnier stuff on a forum Thanks for the laugh !