Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
Nice surprise indeed haha.

I have been thinking about the hour thing and wonder what kind of radius from one's home that would amount to... again, map will be huge and while mounts will affect that, who knows when that will be, timer can be adjusted when that is implemented.

I don't really know how to get a general idea of a timer that would allow a proper incentive for the choice to head back out or not, while also encouraging people to go far from the home. While not making it so long that it winds up weighing down the server too. Is run speed affected by player level? Meaning a veteran could cover more ground in an hour and thus be more likely to go further out than a new player? But then, this hurts new players more than veterans because item loss is harder on them...

Dunno, but still won't really matter until bag permissions are looked at. Taming, cooking, agriculture, a lot of things are more important to me from a dev resource standpoint.
In my opinion, you're putting too much thought into it. If the code is so shitty that it can't handle some graves throughout the day, then the issue isn't with the graves. :P

Also, incentive to explore far from home should not be based on how long a timer is. It should be based on the worthiness of exploration (content).

Everyone has the choice of a corpse run. It's not a newbie v. veteran scenario. Want to? Do it. Don't? Don't.

Jadzia -

Don't play stupid. Your "brave PvP'er" comment was stated in jest.

As I said, if you're worried about the economy, you'd suggest faster item decay. Your 5-minute grave timer only works if you die while solo and it happens more than 5 minutes from your totem. While it will obviously happen at times, that's still filled with ifs. Faster overall decay accomplishes exactly what you want in a much more efficient manner.

- Random drops suck. A great win might give you 2 sand, 2 nails, 1 screw, a crappy glove, and a pair of Zonkers. That uber axe sure would have been nice...

- Exploiting fast travel with random drops is not hard; just potentially more time consuming. You do it with more than 1 person. If you drop something good, have your alt or friend pick it up. Some people would just roll the dice if solo, anyway, and succeed.

- 1-hour timer gives people a choice to make a corpse run. This is especially good for people who are low on equipment.