Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    What I hate about random drops most is being the underdog, fighting my heart out against someone with better gear and more of an advantage, pulling it off and defeating them, then I get a random bunch of nothing.

If you carry the best equip with you and that equip gives you an advantage, and I overcome your advantage, have I then earned the right to your advantage? Doesn't this diminish the value of gear? ie. Less of a risk to carry your 'good' gear, and therefore people fear loosing their good gear a little less.

I realize this doesn't apply to a lot of loot, but it applies to some of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchfoot View Post
    What I hate about random drops most is being the underdog, fighting my heart out against someone with better gear and more of an advantage, pulling it off and defeating them, then I get a random bunch of nothing.

If you carry the best equip with you and that equip gives you an advantage, and I overcome your advantage, have I then earned the right to your advantage? Doesn't this diminish the value of gear? ie. Less of a risk to carry your 'good' gear, and therefore people fear loosing their good gear a little less.

I realize this doesn't apply to a lot of loot, but it applies to some of it.
    It applies to anyone playing at the top end, and the ones fighting them.

Its like you say, I would wear the best gear getting the greatest advantage with minimal risk. Which negates the gear because then everyone would really be using it. Thus the loss and the reward isnt as great.

Quote Originally Posted by JCatano View Post
    Where did I say it was too harsh? Which "brave PvP'ers" said it was too harsh? In a past thread, I implied that you only wanted a 5 minute timer so the chances of someone looting your stuff after a PvE death would be almost zero. That way, you'd be happy that nobody got to loot your stuff, since you're a pussy carebear (see what I did there?).
    Sure, I see what you did there... you were an insulting moron who launches out an idea and won't consider any alternatives... surprise!

Honestly folks, lighten up a bit. Lest I tell you that if you don't want to pvp without a special pixelated cookie reward, then just don't pvp.

This can go on until a dev steps in and locks the thread, or people can start looking at things as objectively as capable and read what is said at face value. If your idea of fun is running around the world to see what kind of loot dropped from a PvE death in the last hour... sure, go for it, I really don't think anyone gives a flyin' sumthing sumthing what you do with your time.

Was that directed at Jadzia for her initial quip? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Over you head.

Was that directed at Jadzia for her initial quip? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Over you head.
    You mean over my purty woven grass top-hat...

I got what you were doing, still think it's not terribly necessary.

Everything else stands... you could jump ahead a bit and say "full drop, 1-hour" X203 just to save some time since launching into an idea and thereafter closing your mind seems to be your forte.

Example:
    Downtime HAS to be during Australian primetime every day or everything will be fail! X ad nauseum.
    Oh lookie, Dev found another solution that works for them and world didn't implode.

Even when someone agrees with you, you don't see it. Is the problem that it's full drop 5 minutes rather than your steadfast full-drop one hour? Would seem rather petty and unproductive to be that locked into an idea instead of learning a bit of compromise to get something done.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    You mean over my purty woven grass top-hat...

I got what you were doing, still think it's not terribly necessary.

Everything else stands... you could jump ahead a bit and say "full drop, 1-hour" X203 just to save some time since launching into an idea and thereafter closing your mind seems to be your forte.

Example:
    Downtime HAS to be during Australian primetime every day or everything will be fail! X ad nauseum.
    Oh lookie, Dev found another solution that works for them and world didn't implode.

Even when someone agrees with you, you don't see it. Is the problem that it's full drop 5 minutes rather than your steadfast full-drop one hour? Would seem rather petty and unproductive to be that locked into an idea instead of learning a bit of compromise to get something done.
    And her jest wasn't necessary, either, right? Yeah. Anyway...

There is no reason for a 5-minute timer, since some people will choose to make a corpse run. A 5-minute timer gives no choice unless you died right by your totem.

If she's so worried about slow item decay, she'd suggest faster general decay... Not a 5-minute timer that only get rids of items if someone dies.

Full drop takes care of exploits. A 1-hour grave timer allows a choice, but also takes care of DB crowding if someone chooses not to make a corpse run. If someone else finds the grave within that hour... Nice surprise, right? Yep.

And her jest wasn't necessary, either, right? Yeah. Anyway...

There is no reason for a 5-minute timer, since some people will choose to make a corpse run. A 5-minute timer gives no choice unless you died right by your totem.

If she's so worried about slow item decay, she'd suggest faster general decay... Not a 5-minute timer that only get rids of items if someone dies.

Full drop takes care of exploits. A 1-hour grave timer allows a choice, but also takes care of DB crowding if someone chooses not to make a corpse run. If someone else finds the grave within that hour... Nice surprise, right? Yep.
    Nice surprise indeed haha.

I have been thinking about the hour thing and wonder what kind of radius from one's home that would amount to... again, map will be huge and while mounts will affect that, who knows when that will be, timer can be adjusted when that is implemented.

I don't really know how to get a general idea of a timer that would allow a proper incentive for the choice to head back out or not, while also encouraging people to go far from the home. While not making it so long that it winds up weighing down the server too. Is run speed affected by player level? Meaning a veteran could cover more ground in an hour and thus be more likely to go further out than a new player? But then, this hurts new players more than veterans because item loss is harder on them...

Dunno, but still won't really matter until bag permissions are looked at. Taming, cooking, agriculture, a lot of things are more important to me from a dev resource standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Bold statement for the queen of the carebears... geesh!
    Yeah...they have some preconceptions, don't they ? I have several reason why I don't like forced PvP, but risk is not one of them. I love risk, I love harsh death penalties and I don't like easy mode.
    And I love freedom....try to force singing on me in a game and I will hate it with the same passion lol.

Where did I say it was too harsh? Which "brave PvP'ers" said it was too harsh? In a past thread, I implied that you only wanted a 5 minute timer so the chances of someone looting your stuff after a PvE death would be almost zero. That way, you'd be happy that nobody got to loot your stuff, since you're a pussy carebear (see what I did there?).

Dropping a few items isn't harsh enough, and still exploitable even if the drops are random. Alts and friendlies make it exploitable with regard to instant travel even though it would potentially be more time consuming with random drops.

Again x3: Full drop, 1 hour grave or until fully looted. Why is that so scary for you?

Another "again": If you don't want to do a boring corpse run; don't. That's how to avoid it.
    Yes, I see what you did there, you insulted me but that only qualifies you not me
    I only care if someone gets my stuffs because its bad for the economy. I've lost it anyway, so why would I bother who owns it ?

Full drop, 1 hour grave or until fully looted is not scary for me...since what I suggested was more harsh. Full drop, and you don't get a 1 hour window to get your stuffs back. Whats wrong with it ? Why are you so eager to grab those pixels back...the economy needs to be working, so we need to take items out of the game. You lost a fight with a bear, you are dead, you lose your stuffs...clear and simple.
    The main problem with corpse run is not that it is boring...more that it is bad for the economy.

This is what I'd like to see and what I suggested in that old thread back in March. But a lot of people found it too harsh, so thats why I'm saying random 5 drops on PvE death. I don't think its exploitable, who would risk to lose an important item for fast travel ? And if he has no valuable item on him then why would you mind that fast travel.

So what I'm saying is:
    full loot on PvP death, with the current loot timer. After a body is looted, 1 more random item is destroyed if he still has something on him.
    Stuffs of 5 random inventory slot is destroyed in case of PvE death.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    Yeah...they have some preconceptions, don't they ? I have several reason why I don't like forced PvP, but risk is not one of them. I love risk, I love harsh death penalties and I don't like easy mode.
    And I love freedom....try to force singing on me in a game and I will hate it with the same passion lol.

Yes, I see what you did there, you insulted me but that only qualifies you not me
    I only care if someone gets my stuffs because its bad for the economy. I've lost it anyway, so why would I bother who owns it ?

Full drop, 1 hour grave or until fully looted is not scary for me...since what I suggested was more harsh. Full drop, and you don't get a 1 hour window to get your stuffs back. Whats wrong with it ? Why are you so eager to grab those pixels back...the economy needs to be working, so we need to take items out of the game. You lost a fight with a bear, you are dead, you lose your stuffs...clear and simple.
    The main problem with corpse run is not that it is boring...more that it is bad for the economy.

This is what I'd like to see and what I suggested in that old thread back in March. But a lot of people found it too harsh, so thats why I'm saying random 5 drops on PvE death. I don't think its exploitable, who would risk to lose an important item for fast travel ? And if he has no valuable item on him then why would you mind that fast travel.

So what I'm saying is:
    full loot on PvP death, with the current loot timer. After a body is looted, 1 more random item is destroyed if he still has something on him.
    Stuffs of 5 random inventory slot is destroyed in case of PvE death.

I dont understand why you keep saying this. You keep saying "I want a working economy but lets put an idea that doesnt help it"

Let the devs choose whether or not something is too harsh. Instead of going from 1 end to the other. You saying you want something, but then you "suggest" each time at the end something super carebear. That makes no sense.

I want full loot, but I think we should not allow anyone to loot anything at any time. Is how I read your statements.

So far the only comment about not dropping everything on death is, Book, and Mac who said something vague about wanting something to not been used in games before, but gave no reason what or how.
    EVERYONE else is for dropping full items. If what you say is true. Which I still dont believe because of how you keep saying the opposite of what you really want.

I want full loot, but I think we should not allow anyone to loot anything at any time. Is how I read your statements.
    No idea how you read this from what I wrote

Nothing would change PvP looting wise...nothing. My suggestion is for PvE death penalty. If the devs decide to go for full item drop on PvE death I'm happy. If they choose to go for 1 hour corpse window I can live with that too but I'd like a boost for the economy so I prefer no corpse run.