Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How about Effort vs. Reward?

Atm, this game does not have the mechanics for meaningful Risk vs. Reward. I probably will as time goes by.

( debate that all you want somewhere else, this thread is NOT about that )

What this game does have is Effort vs. Reward. Terraforming and architecture are to very good examples of what I mean.

You can use terraforming to build up a platform to place structures and with effort and creativity, come up with very unique buildings that are truly satisfying rewards for your efforts. And once we have a few more parts to work with ( next patch ) then the possibilities are even better.

It seems from comments here that many are not interested in having to spend effort and anything they don't find immediately fun... and it has to be something they already know and like or they won't even give it a try.

So, maybe instead of trying to get the game changed to what you already know, why not explore what you can do with what is here and manufacture your own content.

After all that is also one of the major features of this game.. Player created content. The Dev's supply the tools, WE create the world we live in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post
    Atm, this game does not have the mechanics for meaningful Risk vs. Reward. I probably will as time goes by.

What this game does have is Effort vs. Reward. Terraforming and architecture are to very good examples of what I mean.

You can use terraforming to build up a platform to place structures and with effort and creativity, come up with very unique buildings that are truly satisfying rewards for your efforts. And once we have a few more parts to work with ( next patch ) then the possibilities are even better.

It seems from comments here that many are not interested in having to spend effort and anything they don't find immediately fun... and it has to be something they already know and like or they won't even give it a try.

So, maybe instead of trying to get the game changed to what you already know, why not explore what you can do with what is here and manufacture your own content.

After all that is also one of the major features of this game.. Player created content. The Dev's supply the tools, WE create the world we live in.
    you make the same post about every two weeks with your

IT'S NOT THE GAME...IT IS YOU THAT IS THE PROBLEM!

message.

your assumptions are comedy.

visit the middle of zone 700...you'll find vd. it's double [wet] moated, single dry moat [very very deep], limestone walled, with a central cathedral that is ~8 stories high, provide secure battlements and protection for the totem...oh and it has watersupply internal to it, so you can hole up defensively and not ever have to come out.

Personally, i can't get too into the crafting atm, very little point except for increasing my hps, and it's just mind numbing. I litterally can't stay awake once i start grinding.

So, Instead of unleashing your typical, ITS YOU ADD PVP PEOPLE THAT ARE THE PROBLEM diatribe...please look around...you'll probably find your pvp tribes are well prepared, even in their absentia...since that is what we do. We PVE because we have to to PVP...and typically we pve very very well. we just hate it.

so yeah. big cup of stfu to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mactavendish View Post

Im sorry, did I miss the reward for the effort of terraforming and architecture?

Can you please show me the reward? Because these 2 actions are the least rewarding in game, and you are saying there is a reward for them. Im very confused how you can use these 2 points as your effort vs reward.

The real problem with what you bring up "effort vs reward" , is that we are playing a game. Games are meant to be fun or otherwise engaging. Waiting and not using your mind for anything is not a reward of any kind, or effort in any sense of the word. There is no reward nor any effort, of course this is debateable.

But falling asleep while performing a "activity" is nonsene and for a different conversation.

I guess what Im getting at is that no one is expending effort really and the "rewards" are trivial at best. oooooo I can make a new tent... sheesh.

Though I do understand Mactavendish view that building and creating your own little piece of the world is fun, and I do thoroughly enjoy this aspect of the game, I agree more with the others that it is still limiting. Once you have built your homestead, village, town or kingdom your pretty much done unless you want to tear down and start again. And I have been hesitant to invite players because I feel they will get bored in time and quit. So I am waiting for more added content before trying to grow our tribe.
    The idea of player made quests is great too, but this also is limited to gathering quests. I need human skulls for a recipe and I would love to offer a quest for human skulls or even better a "player name" skulls but what do I offer as reward? Currently there is no value in anything and that is a game killer. I look forward to both tribal warfare with adversaries as well as making good alliances with friendly neighbors. Until then it is a gathering / crafting game. I also know it is a sandbox game but I still would like to see some added NPC PVE quest systems in time, but that's just me. I'm sure the game will evolve and I look forward to whatever it may be. Until then, we just make the best of what is here. Like Mac said, be creative

Ever see that Tom Hanks movie Cast Away? He's the lone survivor of a Fed Ex plane crash living on a deserted island with his volleyball named Wilson.

Scene where he's finally been able to make a fire, and he stands there screaming "look at what I have creaaaattteeeeddd!!!" I think that's the kind of reward Mac is talking about. I get that kind of reward as well and tend to think it's legit. Not claiming that needs to be the only type of reward out there... but there's certainly nothing wrong with it.

To me, it feels like building a great place requires a lot of thought. Then the challenge of execution. I don't mean that the action of terraforming is challenging, I mean bigger picture than that.

Whenever my homestead gets closer to completion, I wind up tearing it down and coming up with something else. Will likely do that again with the new architecture additions coming.

It's one part of the game I really, really enjoy. I think it's awesome that architecture has so many components, Dubanka can build with Defense in mind and come up with something that suits him perfectly, and I can build with crafting efficiency in mind and it suits me perfectly. I don't find that in too many other games at all.

Of course the argument that Dubanka now needs something to actually defend against is understood and perhaps, someday, in a very very unlikely future, I will actually give him a run for his money

Sidenote: Player-named skull used in crafting a piece of armor... now THAT's got some crazy mad potential there Willowhawk, I like it.

Edit/Addition:
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    but what do I offer as reward? Currently there is no value in anything and that is a game killer.
    One idea might be to define yourself as a player who always has a certain item on as a reward. Say you can maintain a constant supply of belt buckles. People who need those eventually learn (word of mouth, or your adverts on forums) that they can come check your quest totem anytime they need belt buckles and see what they can go get to close the deal... ?

Or maybe one day more tribes will take on a currency like Apache did and I'll always offer dollars on my quest totem. People will know they can get dollars from me and in turn buy any number of items from a bigger tribe. I'm not quite sure what tribes themselves do with this currency but presumably they have their reasons for doing it.

I agree player freedom is essential. But then again so is adventure. Currently we don't have the tools to create a grand adventure, imo. Though we do have the tools to 'set the stage' to an extent.

Good call Brook. I had not really thought about that but offering 10 buckles, especially of higher quality would definitely have some value and get some attention. I'm guessing that cash money will have validity in the future which I also guess is why a few tribes will take cash in trade. Heck I will take cash. I'm saving mine for that very reason. Sooner or later I think it will be the choice currency.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowhawk View Post
    Good call Brook. I had not really thought about that but offering 10 buckles, especially of higher quality would definitely have some value and get some attention. I'm guessing that cash money will have validity in the future which I also guess is why a few tribes will take cash in trade. Heck I will take cash. I'm saving mine for that very reason. Sooner or later I think it will be the choice currency.
    WillowHawk, message me in game if you want cash in game I have lots for trade.

Allignment based cradfting

Take a page from the baldurs gate 2 (before some of yalls time i presume) human skin armor quest...give a crafting line(s) that open up for evil player's use and creation...human armor (bone and leather), human weaponsmithing (bone handled xyz), and of course evil hunterd could butcher a human corpse like an animal.

A being able to create kil quests for specific players would be great - especially if you could return with a head (which of course you would mount on a pike along the city walls)