Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cancel logout

Quote Originally Posted by meissner61 View Post
    I agree there should be a cancel button - and i dont even understand why MrDDT finds it necessary to argue such a basic primitive thing...
    I call out bad ideas when I see them sorry.

If you click "log out" it should just close.

log out in most mmorpgs today does not mean close - close should be an exit button, log out should just take you back to your character screen for whatever reason the player deems it necessary - you are just very stubborn ddt

I have to disagree with DD. Giving players options is usually a good thing.

This game in particular has issues with getting back into the game. Entities...so many of them taking so much time to load. There have been a few times where I go to log out, and someone says something in tribe chat (guild chat) and have to answer them. Sometimes the conversation I thought was finished, wasn't. It was just that the person was AFK and only answered me as i hit logout.

In DD's world, that is the end of it. I shouldn't be able to cancel my action and answer my friend(s). I should just deal with the fact that it takes me all the way out of the game, and another 6 minutes to log back in just to finish a conversation.

If i could cancel my logout within that 30 seconds...i could save a lot of hassle, time, and maybe even change my mind and continue playing. Without the option, i am more likely to just say "Nah i don't want to wait 10 minutes to get back in". and stay logged out completely for the night.

Two things to add...why a 30 second timer to logout...and why can't i get back to character screen as a "just in case you didn't mean to log out, or you are changing video options" final screen?

@CS_Meat, I totally agree with you. The timer there is for a reason.
    Another thing, if you are in a combat and someone loosing a fight, they just might click [X] to piss of the opponent. Because if they click an [X] the character is no longer there. In all games, if you log out, the character is still there for 1 min.

Quote Originally Posted by joexxxz View Post
    @CS_Meat, I totally agree with you. The timer there is for a reason.
    Another thing, if you are in a combat and someone loosing a fight, they just might click [X] to piss of the opponent. Because if they click an [X] the character is no longer there. In all games, if you log out, the character is still there for 1 min.
    If they put in an effect like this then ya. I can see both why. But because this effect isnt in, I see no point to having a cancel.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDDT View Post
    If they put in an effect like this then ya. I can see both why. But because this effect isnt in, I see no point to having a cancel.
    These two things are completely unrelated.

Unless you're upset because someone cheated you out of robbing their loot by clicking the X, and now you want to somehow tie that into the cancel thing... rather convoluted but whatever.

I've always been under the impression, in every game, that doing a proper log out is a cleaner end of session server-side than a disconnect / clicking X.

Having a "cancel" on log out is just a good idea, plain and simple. There's no need to introduce any other personal agendas into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    These two things are completely unrelated.

Unless you're upset because someone cheated you out of robbing their loot by clicking the X, and now you want to somehow tie that into the cancel thing... rather convoluted but whatever.

I've always been under the impression, in every game, that doing a proper log out is a cleaner end of session server-side than a disconnect / clicking X.

Having a "cancel" on log out is just a good idea, plain and simple. There's no need to introduce any other personal agendas into it.
    I dont see how this is a personal agenda.

I'm saying, I see no reason to have a cancel option if the X doesnt, and does the same thing.

Logout and the X don't do the same thing. The end result is the same, the program eventually closes, but the process is different.

The X is a Windows "close this program NOW" feature. It has nothing to do with how the game is programmed or how the server reacts. You hit X or Alt-F4, or terminate it from the Task Manager and bam, its closed, the game doesn't have a choice. The server is left to figure out that you are no longer playing. You want to change that, talk to Microsoft.

The logout option on the other hand, IS a feature totally and wholey relevant to the game. By clicking that you are sending a message to the server saying, "hey I am leaving, you can unload my data and clean up."

If you want to bypass the "safe" option and just insta-close the program, that is your choice. I prefer to use the safe method, and would like to be able to cancel it. The only way to get this option is to add that ability to the logout procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Drevar View Post
    Logout and the X don't do the same thing. The end result is the same, the program eventually closes, but the process is different.

The X is a Windows "close this program NOW" feature. It has nothing to do with how the game is programmed or how the server reacts. You hit X or Alt-F4, or terminate it from the Task Manager and bam, its closed, the game doesn't have a choice. The server is left to figure out that you are no longer playing. You want to change that, talk to Microsoft.

The logout option on the other hand, IS a feature totally and wholey relevant to the game. By clicking that you are sending a message to the server saying, "hey I am leaving, you can unload my data and clean up."

If you want to bypass the "safe" option and just insta-close the program, that is your choice. I prefer to use the safe method, and would like to be able to cancel it. The only way to get this option is to add that ability to the logout procedure.
    Im confused. How are you safe if you use the log out option?

youre only "safe" because that is something we know for sure the programmers considered and all memory is cleaned up properly (Hopefully)

the 'x' / alt-f4 option however may not be something they took into consideration although since there have been no reports about it its probably fine. but it is always "safe" to exit the program properly just in case.