The resourse system should have gone more like this..................
1. NORMALLY SCROUNGED ITEMS FOUND EVERYWHERE AS PER PRE-PATCH
- this is essential otherwise new players won't be able to do any crafting, pretty much and will leave the game. They won't even be able to make tools without horrible amounts of travel.
2. RARE, MORE POWERFUL VERSIONS OF NORMALLY SCROUNGED ITEMS
- there could be something like "magical junkpiles" that cannot be built on within a certain radius. These should be the only place to get special versions of the scrounged items. They should deplete as per normal junk, but then regenerate at a slow rate (similar to the rare ore system of Darkfall). Using these parts in crafting should imbue special attributes to what you make.
- Alternately, these magic junkpiles could give some sort of "magical essence" instead of magical versions of the normal scrounged items. To implement this, every recipe page could have a slot for this "magical essence". It could be added optionally to the recipe at creation of the item and imbue random, special attributes relating specifically to the type of item being made - ie. stat bonuses to weapons, defence attributes to armours, durability to architecture.
This would be the better option imho, as it is exciting to have something cool, but semi-random happen at the item creation moment. Also, it reduces the need for the huge amount of items that you have just introduced to the game (poor to master for each item and special attibute). This is very important in my oppinion, because stacking and storing was rediculous enough already before the patch, but now we have another huge amount of items to deal with, sort and store. Im not a big fan of all these new items at all and i imagine many other people aren't either.
3. SOME ITEMS ONLY FOUND IN CERTAIN SPECIAL, NEW PILES
- perhaps as an example, the only place to find human skulls, other than a rare scavenge is to find a "bone pile". They could be similar to "magical junkpiles" in that they deplete and regenerate slowly.
- maybe these bone piles or something similar could pop up all over the land randomly and not be placed statically. Having certain special resourses pop up in random spots will encourage exploration.
These are just some ideas, but i think they would be a millionfold improvement on what was implemented in the last patch. Zone specific resourses does nothing to create "hotspots" of activity where players can expect some friction, PVP and excitement. A zone is just way to big for this to happen. Small, static regions for resourses will go a long way towards creating some life in the game. I would be very surprised if anyone who suggested the implementation of rare resourses and "hotspots" wanted or expected what has arrived in the last patch.