Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Crafting UI

Re:Crafting UI

I wish there wasn't a crafting UI at all. I'd prefer a system where there was an option to 'use' an item, by rightclicking on it in your inventory. So if you want to craft something, use the proper tool on the materials in the proper order. If the craft requires something which you can't carry (like an anvil or a loom) then you should have to use the materials on that. And all these 'use items' should have an animation in the game, like you see your avatar using the loom or smithing a sword on an anvil. Crafting UI with windows is very immersion-breaking to me.

A more ergonomic solution does need to be implemented, eventually. Simple drag and drop will kill mouses, and it will cause real-life physical problems and/or pain. EQ1 was all drag and drop during the time I played. After about 4 years of playing that, I probably burned though 3-4 mouses due to lots of crafting (and some due to "slight anger issues" ). And I had many sessions halted, due to hand pain. And I know my carpel tunnel has gotten worse since then.

*still has nightmares about creating 500-800 batches of armor dye, in EQ1, when it first came out*

But I do like the double click idea. Say double clicking on tools or resources will add them to the appropriate window, and maybe add an option to create batches of X amount. In which it would give you a progress bar count down for each item, until you ran out of resources, or finished the batch.

Jadzia wrote:
    I wish there wasn't a crafting UI at all. I'd prefer a system where there was an option to 'use' an item, by rightclicking on it in your inventory. So if you want to craft something, use the proper tool on the materials in the proper order. If the craft requires something which you can't carry (like an anvil or a loom) then you should have to use the materials on that. And all these 'use items' should have an animation in the game, like you see your avatar using the loom or smithing a sword on an anvil. Crafting UI with windows is very immersion-breaking to me.
    You are right! the crafting UI breaks immersion and it is sad
    In SWG it was similar, but there you had that hightec theme, so it was not that out-of-place.

in xsyon the UI should be somehow different, although I can't tell how

The idea of removing the UI completely is dangerous. you can come up with trillions of combinations and in the end won't get very far... the UI should be there, help out on the most difficult things (combination o sequence of tools) but not be so "obstrusive".

pid73 wrote:
    Jadzia wrote:
    You are right! the crafting UI breaks immersion and it is sad
    In SWG it was similar, but there you had that hightec theme, so it was not that out-of-place.

in xsyon the UI should be somehow different, although I can't tell how

The idea of removing the UI completely is dangerous. you can come up with trillions of combinations and in the end won't get very far... the UI should be there, help out on the most difficult things (combination o sequence of tools) but not be so "obstrusive".
    Yes I agree,in a high tech game it makes sense to set up a machine to craft for you. But if you work with an anvil or a loom...or even only with a hammer or a needle...some good idea would be nice

If the crafting UI is needed only for help, then perhaps it could be replaced with a recipe book....like if you forget how to craft something, in what order to use your materials and tools then you open your book and read the instructions. But to cover the screen with crafting windows....*sigh*

If I remember right RuneScape had crafting without windows cluttering the screen... maybe I'm wrong, please correct me if I am. It's sooo many years I played it.

1) get next to a crafting station (e.g. "anvil")
    2) wield a tool (e.g. "hammer")
    3) drag and drop resources (e.g. "iron bars")
    4) ???
    5) get crafted item

step 3: maybe it was on the anvil or a window of the anvil?
    step 4: can't really remember but there was something in between, I think

--------------------------------

In UO crafting was nice too, but that's even more years I played it and can't remember anything but "dough", "water" and "bread"

Wurm was horrible (don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, it's just my opinion). A lot of context menus (right-clicking).

Which games are excellent examples of fun and immersive crafting procedures?

pid73 wrote:
    If I remember right RuneScape had crafting without windows cluttering the screen... maybe I'm wrong, please correct me if I am. It's sooo many years I played it.

1) get next to a crafting station (e.g. "anvil")
    2) wield a tool (e.g. "hammer")
    3) drag and drop resources (e.g. "iron bars")
    4) ???
    5) get crafted item

step 3: maybe it was on the anvil or a window of the anvil?
    step 4: can't really remember but there was something in between, I think

--------------------------------

In UO crafting was nice too, but that's even more years I played it and can't remember anything but "dough", "water" and "bread"

Wurm was horrible (don't want to hurt anybodies feelings, it's just my opinion). A lot of context menus (right-clicking).

Which games are excellent examples of fun and immersive crafting procedures?
    Yes, in Runescape it worked as you described it If you used a metal bar on the anvil you were able to choose what to craft out of it from a list. Cooking was even better, you had to mix (use materials on each other) flour with water to get dough, and you could make bread or pizza out of it, if you had others stuffs to use on your pizza dough you were able to put them on your pizza. Finally you had to use the raw pizza or bread on fire or a stove to cook it. There was no UI at all during cooking, and only a very small list during smithing. And every step was animated too.

HA! I think this is exactly what I want

Xsyon Citizen

Jadzia wrote:
    Yes I agree,in a high tech game it makes sense to set up a machine to craft for you. But if you work with an anvil or a loom...or even only with a hammer or a needle...some good idea would be nice
    Vangaurd had some nice mini games. It's been so long since I played though. I don't really remember how those mini games played out.

I recently downloaded Mabinogi. While their tailoring starts off with drag and drop, the final piece of tailoring opens up a mini game for finishing your product. It's very simple. A new window opens up where your cursor is a needle. You have a few seconds to stitch together the final seam in your product. If you stitch in all the right spots the final product has a better quality. I thought this was a very nice touch.

This wouldn't be high on my list of fix items, but if tiny things could be added like that it would be nice. It doesn't have to be a complete revamp with all minigames, ala Vanguard. It could be more along the Mabinogi line of just the final step has something extra for fun.

Thinking of blacksmithing, a new window could pop up with an image of a sword. Your cursor turns into a hammer and you have to hammer the sword. The more evenly you hammer the better the quality.

Sorry, I'm derailing this topic. :silly:

Back to the OP:

I would say that a right click or double click would be nice to move the object into a crafting window. I'm not really big on drag and drop. I also don't really like the idea of right-clicking and using a drop down menu either. What happens when you have 10+ items that use the same material. That drop-down list gets too long. Just right click and toss into the craft window. If the item works then you can successfully craft it. It it doesn't then right-click to move it back to your inventory. This would give some room for experimentation.

A single right click is less stress on the hand than the other methods. No holding the button down to drag or select menus.

i can agree that wurm has a bad crafting system but its good in its own way, but no minigames for crafting please. drag and drop but remember last recepie is ok

Diarmue wrote:
    Vangaurd had some nice mini games. It's been so long since I played though. I don't really remember how those mini games played out.
    Vanguard's mini-game system was basicly a quality vs progress balancing act type game. You started out with X number of "overall points", about 4 stages to get though, a quality bar (grade A all the way down to grade D), and a progress bar. Every action costed X number of points. From time to time a complication would come up, and you had to choose between fixing the complication (which took more action points), or leave it and suffer penalties to progress or quality. If you ran out of action points, you wouldn't finish the item. On the other hand you could accumulate too much progress, and not enough quality, and end up finishing with a lower grade item. But, as someone mentioned, it lead to clutter of the crafting item table, as every produced item had like 4 quality levels.

While it was interesting, it was also tedious, until they added batches. Instead of adding one iron bar, you could add 5 or 10, for example. They may have later improved it, but I only played in the first year it came out.

I don't think it would work very well with what I hear of our crafting system, due to lack of flexibility. However there are ideas that could be applied, such as the ability to add quantities instead of individual peices. Ofcourse you would only do this once you know a recipe produces what you want, in regards to durability/damage/whatever. It would also be nice to have these recipes saved somehow, ingame. Otherwise you would have to write them down manually, and out of game, which again breaks immersion.

So, the TL;DR suggestions:
    1) Ability to save recipes.
    2) Ability to create batches by adding multiples of items, or just the option to create multiple products and you just loop until you run out of resources, or finish the batch.