Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Scavenging Feedback - From 7/27

Greetings Survivors!

This thread is for you to post your opinions on what Items that are scavenged using the scavenging ability need to be adjusted, in terms of Rarity.

This is not a discussion thread, so absolutely no discussions.
    I don't want this to turn into a flame wars, lets keep this civil.

What we need to know is...

-The items you think are too easy to find, to hard to find or items that just need a little adjusting.

- An explanation as to why you think the items need adjusting.

- If you have collected any data about scavenging please provide it.

- Any other information you think would be useful to know, that we can take into consideration.

Once we look at the player feedback we will adjust and balance accordingly.

Thank you.

Hi Raguel!

In my oppinion nothing is too easy. I can scav for ages and get only a few items.

All the basic items used to make tools are way too hard. I believe we are spoiling the experience for many new players by not allowing them to gather essential items for basic tools. Some are not ever being scavenged any more.

These seem to not exist anymore because they are so rare in the loot table...........
    - old saw blades
    - pioneer and rusty spades
    - feathers of all sorts
    - old pipes
    - rubber scrap
    - rubber grip
    - 5 and 10 pound weights
    - cleaver blades
    - all recipes
    - all ready to use weapons and tools
    - all bones, but especially human bones seeming as they can only be found by scav atm
    - wood and steel bats
    - golf clubs
    - rusty and pioneer pick heads
    - nails
    - screws

I have gotten a FEW bolts by scav. I used to find these in bundles of over 15 and up to 50-ish

Im sure others will mention more i have missed.

Another thing i missed.........

It was mentioned that there is zero chance of rare items on your own lands. This i believe is good for the game as it encourages travel and exploration.

I understand Jordi also wants there to be a zero chance of rare items scavenged on other people's land. I think this should be reconsidered as it will encourage risk if we get rares on our neighbours property because they can attack us and we cannot fight back. This is exciting and would be fun imho. It also does nothing to allow griefing etc. I can think of no down point to this and i strongly urge it to be recosidered.

I was under the impression that the further away from your own land, the better the chance of finding rares, as long as you are not on another tribe's lands. This is not the case. I can be a million miles from my own totem and not on anybody else's property, yet because i am CLOSE to another totem (remember im not on their' land) i get a huge decrease in the chance of finding rare scav items. This seems counter intuitive to game enjoyment and risk vs reward.

Its pretty simple really all blades for weps and saw blades,shovels heads,pick axes ect just need to be bumped up a bit.While they should be rare around the very hard range.

Recipes about the same.

As far as bones besides humans you should have to hunt for those.

and some of the stuff like nails,screws,feathers,rubber scraps I seem to find them just fine Rubber grips though dont think I have in a long time.

Please look at this thread where people have posted detailed scavenging logs.

My general feed back:
    1. It's generally unclear what items should be got through scavenging and what items should be got by pulling junk. This seems to be undefined at the moment - a large amount of goods (for example screws, bolts, nails, metal sheets, cloth of all sorts) can be got both by scavenging and pulling junk.

2. The main purpose of scavenging currently is to get larger amounts of items that we can also get through pulling junk. Apart from that scavenging provides items that cannot be got by pulling junk: dollar bills, quarters, pennies, plastic buttons, beer tabs, feathers and very rare bones. I haven't seen any other item since the scavenging patch. Note that most items that can only be found by scavenging have no use: dollar bills, pennies, quarters, beer tabs, bottle caps.

My suggestion:
    Make pulling junk the action that provides large amounts of basic materials, make scavenging the skill that provides small amounts of rare things.

Larsa, you touch on something here that i think should be noted.

"Make pulling junk the action that provides large amounts of basic materials, make scavenging the skill that provides small amounts of rare things. "

Things like plastic, cloth and leather really do not need to be in the scav table. Even metal sheets, bolts, nails.

We can already sort junk specifically for metal, plastic, cloth and leather. It would be good to remove them from the scav table entirely. These are not rare items and to be honest it is annoying when you scav 10 times and get nothing but 1 plastic, which you can get in bundles of 4 every time by sorting junk.

Free up the scav table for the more rarer items like decorations, belt buckles, rubber, VGQ to Master tools and weapons, human bones, recipes, handles, saw blades, etc.

Xsyon Citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by GuideSariel View Post
    Another thing i missed.........

It was mentioned that there is zero chance of rare items on your own lands. This i believe is good for the game as it encourages travel and exploration.

I understand Jordi also wants there to be a zero chance of rare items scavenged on other people's land. I think this should be reconsidered as it will encourage risk if we get rares on our neighbours property because they can attack us and we cannot fight back. This is exciting and would be fun imho. It also does nothing to allow griefing etc. I can think of no down point to this and i strongly urge it to be recosidered.

I was under the impression that the further away from your own land, the better the chance of finding rares, as long as you are not on another tribe's lands. This is not the case. I can be a million miles from my own totem and not on anybody else's property, yet because i am CLOSE to another totem (remember im not on their' land) i get a huge decrease in the chance of finding rare scav items. This seems counter intuitive to game enjoyment and risk vs reward.
    Sariel is so right in this but he forgets to mention that in a lot of areas the scrapheaps are taken by tribes so this means no change getting rare items.
    Also i find it strange that items are rare which can fully encumber you.
    You will only be able to find these when far away from youre totem with no way to transport them back to youre totem.
    A thing which actually amazed me was the big difference in ratio which things could be found before and after the patch.
    Before the patch i had an basket full of recepy's in 2 hours scavenging and after the patch none could be found.
    This felt a bit like earning 50 euro an hour and youre boss changing the procedures and then you get only 1 .
    Just my 5 (Euro)cents

Hi Raguel!

In my oppinion nothing is too easy. I can scav for ages and get only a few items.

All the basic items used to make tools are way too hard. I believe we are spoiling the experience for many new players by not allowing them to gather essential items for basic tools. Some are not ever being scavenged any more.

These seem to not exist anymore because they are so rare in the loot table...........
    - old saw blades
    - feathers of all sorts
    - old pipes
    - rubber scrap
    - rubber grip
    - 5 and 10 pound weights
    - cleaver blades
    - all recipes
    - all bones, but especially human bones seeming as they can only be found by scav atm
    - wood and steel bats
    - golf clubs
    - nails
    - screws

I have gotten a FEW bolts by scav. I used to find these in bundles of over 15 and up to 50-ish

This sums it up but i think recipes (basic ones should be decently easy to find, for the new players) However higher end recipes should be tough, but you shouldnt spend a week trying to find one. People got lives so i think you should be able to find atleast 1 rare recipe with in 2 hours. if it takes a day or days to find something, then the game is a second job. metals- chrome-tritanuim-gold-silver should be rare and tough to find and also inline with what i said. Im not saying give me the easy button, but i am saying i got alife and every1 else does here also. Make it reasonable to find things. And a final note metal boreds-studs-concrete posts etc just 5 encumber ya, would be nice if their weight was adjusted a bit, i think they way their droping atm is just fine though.

- old saw blades
    - feathers of all sorts
    - old pipes
    - rubber scrap
    - rubber grip
    - 5 and 10 pound weights
    - cleaver blades
    - all recipes
    - wood and steel bats
    - golf clubs
    - nails
    - screws

I have a somewhat different experience from you it seems (my scavenging 100, perception 71).

- Occasionally I scavenge feathers.
    - I get reasonable amounts of rubber scrap, metal buckles and zippers by pulling junk (not through scavenging).
    - Nails, screws, bolts, rivets: I get small amounts of those by pulling junk and get large amounts of those through scavenging. After a scavenging session on a junkpile (say 50 scavenging actions) I can come home with 100-200 nails, screws, bolts, rivets, etc.

I will take a slightly different approach to report my scavenging experience.

I have pulled the following items since the patch which also currently have no use in game as far as I know. In most cases, they appear in Small, Medium, and Large. In some cases, such as Metal boards, there are various types, such as Steel and Iron.

-METAL Boards, Studs, Pipes, Medium and large Blocks, Posts, Poles, Long Handles
    -PLASTIC Sheets, Blocks, Studs, Boards, Poles, Handles
    -Concrete Posts

It is hard to guage rarity without knowing the usefullness of these items. I suppose I will rarely use them.

I have found uses for Small Metal Block, Small and Medium Metal Handles. So, they are not included in the above summary.

As a side note, I am still trying to figure out the purpose of these non scav items:

-Tar, Quartz, many non edible Plants, and Shells. My guess for the Plants is Cooking.

I still find and discard alot of Dollar Bill, Quarters, Pennies, Beer Tabs, and Bottle Caps. My guess is this was an attempt at currency.

Part 2 to this debacle is a list of items I can no longer find that I do have a use for:

-OLD SAW BLADES, Pruning and Circular Saw Blades.
    -Knife and Cleaver Blades
    -Spades and Pick Heads
    -Bats
    -Lucky Horseshoes(can't confirm the usefullness here, but carry one anyway)
    -Old Pipe
    -Human Bones
    -Weights
    -Golf Clubs

Next are items I no longer find which also currently have no use as far as I know. I assume some will be used for farming.

-Hoe Head, Rake Head
    -Pitchfork Head, Garden Scythe
    -Old Wrench

I still find the following useful items from scavenging or sorting:

-METAL Plates, Sheets, Spikes, Wedges, Rods
    -Nails, Screws, Bolts, and Rivets of various types
    -Feathers, Zippers, Junk Plastic, Buttons
    -Leather, Fur and Leather/Fur Sraps of various types
    -Metal Buckles and Decorations, now through sorting
    -Rubber Grips and Scrap, now less frequently
    -Cloth and Grass Fabric and Sraps

Metal Knobs are in a class all there own. Found them before patch by scav, after the patch by sorting and have never been able to use them for anything.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, Can't find any recipes. If I could find Architecture recipes, I might be able to figure out what to do with some of these materials.