Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hemlock Challenge

Hemlock Challenge
    We all know about the cry for “reasons”, “meanings” and “survival”, so rather than rely on the Development team to give us these i have decided to introduce these to myself through personal gaming restrictions and ingame choices.
    I think this will add to my enjoyment of the game and give a true sense of survival.
    We all get caught up in the rush to mass grind to 100 in all skills and then feel disapointed when there is then nothing further after this (as the game currently stands).
    I want to see how a new player enters the game and with a bit of (out of the box thinking) can survive without being told “you really need to reroll and choose basketry if you want to solo” this again is just a myth (games are supposed to be challenging right? but as gamers its easy,easy,easy option all the way until …...... boredom)

Current rules
    I have created a new character
    Current trade - Architecture (note i have not chosen basketry or toolcraft (go me )
    No use of death warp
    No trading for tools, baskets etc (just how long can i go without trade we will find out)
    All tools i need for Architecture atm will be aquired through exploration and searching abandoned baskets, this is how i will get storage baskets too (this has been fairly successful over the last day for baskets)
    No fishing rod=no fish, my staple diet is the local plant life
    I will be building a home but not your typical walled fortress just a place to protect me and my bins from the elements and animal/intruder attack, this will be expanded as i go.

One more thing...
    If i attack you please dont cry and call me a griefer, because i actually really do need your stuff

Im hoping this will inspire current players and also give new players an alternative way of approching the game for true survival (the devs have give us access to alot of tools, but as in real life you can pick and choose your own path)

(to be continued i will add more to this tonight or any more suggestions from people which i may not have yet thought about)

I actually think this is an awesome idea.

You will be showing what CAN be done with current tools and mechanics.

I personally believe too many players want it all handed to them and get bored when it is not fast and easy.

Your chosen path is neither fast or easy.

I applaud your efforts and look forward to watching as you go along.

Update (2nd day in)
    Started with 4 tools - Tape, Hammer, Saw & Planer, I have now found the following through exploring (3 chisel, 1 craft knife, 1 hammer, 3 screwdrivers & mortar and pestle)
    I have aquired 5 50slot bins, 3 20 slot clothpacks and 1 grass pack (this should do nicely for storage for a while)
    Also found a spiked club.

Tools i can make are Awl, chalk, chisel, craftknife & mallet however 4 of the 5 of these need grass twine, and guess what i am unable to make this at the moment, is this intended for new players i can make cloth twine so why not grass twine?
    Also my saw is worn, i gues i be getting wet for a while

I like the idea...Hemlock...hope it keeps you around a while.

I am going to start on this

Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    Tools i can make are Awl, chalk, chisel, craftknife & mallet however 4 of the 5 of these need grass twine, and guess what i am unable to make this at the moment, is this intended for new players i can make cloth twine so why not grass twine?
    Also my saw is worn, i gues i be getting wet for a while
    I've never heard of any character without the ability to make grass twine. Check again (it's further down on the list of schemes than under Tailoring). If you really don't have the thread/string/twine recipes, please report it as a bug.

Ravelli

Grass twine is a basketry recipe, you should be able to make it.

Definately no grass twine or string

I have the following
    Grass fabric
    Grass Scraps
    Grass Thread
    Daogwa Pants
    Daogwa Shirt
    Daogwa Moccasins
    Grass Tarp

Will report this as a bug

Pretty sure its not a bug, as you dont always start with all the recipes. It should be a bug though.

Start making the grass thread, you might pop the twine recipe