Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thoughts on new camera collision

I'm not pleased with the newly implemented camera collision. It's great when you enter a building/structure looking for a specific bin or similar ... or just want to look at the inside. Other from that I find it more or less useless and quite annoying.
    Every movement with the camera that clips a building, structure or tree makes it collide with the object (instant zoom in and out). It looks very "busy" and makes my eyes hurt when running around. Even moving down-hill makes the camera collide depending on your view-angle and/or tilt and how much you've zoomed in or out. This is the case for all of the camera modes.
    It can also make terraforming from certain angles quite hard or annoying. I can only imagine how combat is when fighting between trees or buildings.

As said above, I think it's great for looking around in a building. Why not make the collision camera as one of the camera modes so one has a choice.

Objective thoughts and comments are welcome.

I have not had much time to play with the new camera collision however my first thought when I got in game was that this is one of the best improvements we have had since I started playing. In fact the lack of camera collision has been a common complaint and a bad first impression of many new players that try out Xsyon.

Perhaps there are some tweaks that can be done to smooth out the camera while traveling etc. or as you suggest a way to turn it off? I for one don't see myself turning it off since now the game feels like every other mmo out there, it seems very normal to me, or at least it feels like it's on par with other games now. Just my opinion

I see what you mean by the "busy" look. But, I am pleased to be able to use my cabin for storage. The collison camera is a big improvement while on the homestead. As you say, maybe an option to turn it of when traveling would be nice.

Maybe give them time to implement and fix eventual and most likely to surface bugs, before going on a rampage would be an idea..

The camera collision have been sought for a loooong time. It has been a pain in the ass not having it. Having it is honestly a major improvement of the game.
    And I agree, with Willow, one of the best improvements in a long time.

"Going on a rampage" ... noone is doing that, Ash. That would be silly.

After playing a whole day I've found the collision camera zoom to be quite annoying when moving ghost-structures among already build (finished) structures. You have to find certain camera angles in order to see if things are aligned properly from a zoomed out view: the camera will clip in instantly on the build structures making it hard to have a general view on things.

Thank you all for the inputs. I hope more players will share their opinion on this.

perhaps a temporary solution is to not build some buildings first and then place others later.

place them all before you build any of them. this will save you a headache in the end anyways. ive wasted over 5000 bricks deleting walls that didnt have another wall edged up against them (before we got mats back from dismantle). and as you probably know walls cannot touch unless they are in ghost form first.

Quote Originally Posted by severin View Post
    After playing a whole day I've found the collision camera zoom to be quite annoying when moving ghost-structures among already build (finished) structures.
    OK I can see that Severin. I have not been building anything since the new patch, (been too busy in RL). That is one big difference between Xsyon and most other cookie cutter mmos, being able to build structures. This would not be an issue in most games. So perhaps there is a good reason to want to turn off camera collision. As for out in the world, I think it is working well.

Its working great for me, I dont have a problem with building like the OP does. I just move the camera a little or use it like Im indoors. Sure beats having to zoom in and out with a scroll wheel all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by severin View Post
    After playing a whole day I've found the collision camera zoom to be quite annoying when moving ghost-structures among already build (finished) structures. You have to find certain camera angles in order to see if things are aligned properly from a zoomed out view: the camera will clip in instantly on the build structures making it hard to have a general view on things.
    This may be the way you spent your day, but how typical is that. Compare that to scavenging, hunting, putting stuff into bins in buildings, or even building standalone or easily aligned structures.

Even for your problems with aligning structures, I think reducing the times you loose the cursor when moving a ghost structure would have a higher payoff than messing with camera collision.

Ravelli

Admit it Sev! You like to go on a rampage. A good ol' Viking rampage..

Spill the men's blood and rape the women! Wu-fucking-huu! (Misconception but screw that..)

Anywho, to the topic, I can actually see where you are coming from having tried to do what you were doing. It does become quite annoying in the end, but I would also say that you could always just move to the end of the row of houses you are building and check if they are all aligned and then from the front/back of the buildings or am I missing something?