Working alignment system before influx of players

I know everyone has their opinions on what should be in game before we get an influx of players, like totem decay etc.

However, imo without a working alignment system you can have good and neutral players full looting and killing without consequence which would hurt the game in a big way if this isn't working before we get another influx of players.

I'd love to see a working alignment system ASAP. But since being good/neutral has no benefits at all right now, just as being evil has no drawback, how would good players looting others hurt the game ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jadzia View Post
    I'd love to see a working alignment system ASAP. But since being good/neutral has no benefits at all right now, just as being evil has no drawback, how would good players looting others hurt the game ?

I think he means just it needs an alignment system before getting a ton of people, else everyone wont care about killing and looting and you lose a lot of control.

Good/Neutral has benefits, just not coded in ones. As any player in game how they work. Its pretty simple concept. If you piss people off they will attack you, wont trade with you, they will cut your trees etc. Its already been happening and I think that's part of whats good about this game. I would like to see a few coded in reasons NOT to be evil, and some bonuses for both GOOD and EVIL. Doing what you want is a bonus, but it shouldn't be the only one. Just as being good so people wont be pissed at you is a bonus but it shouldn't be the only one.

the alignment system that was described by jordi worked something like this:

Good/Neutral can't attack other good or neutral players without losing some type of karma that could eventually get you kicked from your tribe and/or give your tribe status towards being evil - if you did attack another good/neutral player you could only loot 1 item.

Evil players are red to everyone so can can be attacked by good/neutral and other evil players without consequence - the advantage of being evil was that you could full loot a player.

I understand what ddt is saying about how people can retaliate against you in other ways, but without a working alignment system everyone is free to kill and full loot without any real consequence.

I don't care how many trees you cut down, I just move my alt to where the trees are - load up on my main and alt suicide with a bin load of cut wood.

I can kill with no consequence and still don't care if you try to cut down trees in my immediate area, it doesn't affect me.

Also, we have members with alt totems on the scrap so you can't stop me from getting scrap either by trying to drop totems on the junk piles around us.

The large tribes are the reason why we need a working alignment system, they will be able to get away with anything really without it.

Try doing that in my area. You wont last long to do any kinda of work. You can drop a safe totem and exploit that system. Which is a the biggest problem with these safe totems anywhere any time.

I think we do need a system. So Im 100% in agreement with that part.

Before stopping back in, I was talking to a friend about whether or not griefing was still an issue.

He kind of shrugged, and said not really since you don't see all that many people.

Seems to be true for the moment, which I love. Not that there are fewer people around, but that I'm not expected to babysit. Nice and relaxing to play... but soon as you get a critical mass of people again, the problem will come right back unless the devs have implemented certain limitations/general rulesets.

Nature of the beast I think, especially when you throw FFA PVP into the advert. It will attract a particular demographic that believes in rather distasteful, not to say completely annoying, social interactions, or perhaps more akin to infractions now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Book View Post
    Before stopping back in, I was talking to a friend about whether or not griefing was still an issue.

He kind of shrugged, and said not really since you don't see all that many people.

Seems to be true for the moment, which I love. Not that there are fewer people around, but that I'm not expected to babysit. Nice and relaxing to play... but soon as you get a critical mass of people again, the problem will come right back unless the devs have implemented certain limitations/general rulesets.

Nature of the beast I think, especially when you throw FFA PVP into the advert. It will attract a particular demographic that believes in rather distasteful, not to say completely annoying, social interactions, or perhaps more akin to infractions now that I think about it.
    agreed, I didn't even bring up the amount of griefing that will take place, good aligned tribes (homesteads, bands, clans whatever type you are) can kill whoever they want over and over with no consequence.

It's supposed to be that you have to make a choice, if you want to be good then you can't kill other players for no reason and if you do you'll get your alignment flipped to evil and then you'll be open for attack by anyone which is how it should be.

Xsyon Citizen
    So let me get this straight, if I set my alignment to 'good' or 'neutral' I can not kill everyone, or rather at a consequence?
    You can kill the 'evil' aligned people tho without consequence?

Hehe, why would anyone then be 'good/neutral' once the green mist releases hordes of new players?
    In the current system we are all 'evil' in a way. And when the new ones start fighting us, aren't we just going to kill them (as a precautionary measure of course!)?

And dont tell me that evil tribes/people cant trade. Either a good/neutral alt or friend ingame could do that for you. And I suspect the evil players trading alot.. with eachother .

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    So let me get this straight, if I set my alignment to 'good' or 'neutral' I can not kill everyone, or rather at a consequence?
    You can kill the 'evil' aligned people tho without consequence?

Hehe, why would anyone then be 'good/neutral' once the green mist releases hordes of new players?
    In the current system we are all 'evil' in a way. And when the new ones start fighting us, aren't we just going to kill them (as a precautionary measure of course!)?

And dont tell me that evil tribes/people cant trade. Either a good/neutral alt or friend ingame could do that for you. And I suspect the evil players trading alot.. with eachother .
    By the original plan evil players would have serious disadvantages. Their tribe area wouldn't be a safe zone, and they would get other penalties like death penalties. This is not working now, so there is no difference between being evil or good. That's why we need a working alignment system.